“Chill with Nancy”

More attraction details
Owner description: Second location:Fishermans CoveLaguna Beach,CA
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Are you from the Midwest? Have to travel by airplane to get to an ocean? Want to experience a lifestyle sport enjoyed by coastal communities? Not extremely adventurous but want to get involved and get in the water? Then paddle boarding can be your thing and Nancy is definitely your instructor. I was fortunate to get a lesson scheduled on short notice, but if you want this gem of an instructor, I suggest calling ahead, she is worth it! Nancy met us at the docks as she instructed, and immediately put everyone at ease with her friendly and matter of fact approach. I regret I didn't join in on the lesson, but my two boys did, and they were up on the boards in minute and cruising around Dana Point Harbor right away. I looked at paddle boarding in Laguna Beach, La JOlla and Dana Point, and I felt choosing a first time lesson in the Dana Point Harbor was probably the wisest choice, seemed very safe but still fine. Water was calm. Nancy expertly offered tips, the kids were comfortable with her without feeling awkward and she navigated them safely back to the dock. There were about 50 plus water travelers in the harbor including small boats, kayaks, etc, and everyone was quite chill, and participants were from all age groups. So parents and teen kids would both enjoy. My active sportsman, my 14 year old said it was the best part of our five day trip to the coast. P.S. public restrooms available across from Aventura Sailing association in case you need to change clothes, etc. Paying online went smoothly and easiest probably for all.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Our paddle boarding lesson was wonderful! We had four novices (three teens and one parent), and Nancy had everyone standing on their boards in the first 10 minutes. Her instruction made all the difference. It was a truly memorable hour -- fun for everyone and lots of pictures to prove it. We highly recommend Nancy, who is absolutely delightful.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

I decided to try stand up paddle board for the first time and I am so glad I found Nancy through tripadvisor! It was like I was boarding with an old friend, she was so friendly and knowledgable. We went to Dana Point Harbor, she explained how to paddle and stand up, and off we went! We didn't even get wet! I am so thankful Nancy took her iphone and took pictures of us, which she forwarded to us right away. The best part was that when we were over by the mouth of the harbor we saw a pod of dolphins playing around. We paddled over and they swam around and under our boards and were just as curious about us as we were about them. What an amazing experience. I really hope I'll make it to Laguna Beach again next year, and if I do I will definitely call Nancy again and this time we'll go out in the ocean!

Reviewed April 6, 2013

My daughter (15) and I decided to try SUP for the first time during a recent visit to California and took a lesson from Nancy in Dana Point harbor. We both had such an amazing time. Nancy is a terrific instructor and she made the entire experience so enjoyable. She even spent the extra time to introduce the sport to my younger son who had been too nervous to go along on our lesson. She patiently taught him how to stand and paddle on her board in just a few minutes and let him join us on the water. He loved it so much he can't wait to return to California and go out on the water with Nancy again. We will definitely be back.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

After years of walking the Dana point harbor and watching the number of SUP's increase each year, I finally decided to give it a try. I took a lesson with Nancy who was not only a great and patient instructor (I am 65 and not in the best of shape) but she was so personable I felt like I was out with a friend. What a great way to get some exercise, fresh air and beautiful scenery!

I heartily recommend taking a lesson from Nancy if you are visiting the area or if you are a local like me you will kick yourself for not doing it sooner. It's good to take a lesson as there are some tricks to make it easier or if you have some fear like I did, Nancy will put you at ease and start you on your way to a new favorite past time.