“Average food with an attitude”
Review of Chronic Taco

Chronic Taco
Ranked #48 of 146 Restaurants in Dana Point
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: http://www.eatchronictacos.com
Description: http://www.eatchronictacos.com
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I once visited a place right by the sea in Venezuela, where fishermen would throw their lines into the shallow waters past the waves, and they catch this medium size fish, whose flesh turns out was dark after cooking. They bring the fish to these tents a few feet from the edge of the water, where these women would be waiting with flat frying pans, and people like me could see the fish they were about to eat be pan fried to perfection. Spectacular flavor, fabulous, energizing breakfast, lunch or dinner. Now that is what I would call a 5 Stars eating. Add some fresh lemon to your plate of fish and enjoy. Have one, two or even three, whatever your heart desired.
The reason I mention this is so viewers can relate to the star rating. Fabulous is 5 Stars. Above average is 4 Stars or so. Average is 3 or so.
Chronic Taco is a successful little business that is thriving in Dana Point. We ordered the following for the first time: Burrito Carne Asada with extra meat, $8+. Burrito Carnitas with extra meat $8+, and finally, Fish Burrito with extra fish, 8+?
The Carne Asada was diced very small and it waited patiently in the warmer to fill orders. The beef was definitely sub par compared to prime. Here is an important point: Carne Asada means meat cooked on the fire, and hopefully served immediately for each order. Properly marinated it is a thing of wonder. Here, as I mentioned, is diced in large containers and it waits waits waits, probably not for long, but surely not served fast enough. Burritos are filled with rice and beans, lettuce, cilantro, etc. These are called the extras but they occupied the bulk of the burritos. These burritos no different than most, run of the mill, type. Yes, they are edible, and the extras are fresh to a ratio of 80% extras, 20% meat, or if you pay extra, maybe 25%.
Service was fast, and a person can watch their order being prepared, in a transparent kitchen that is supposed to reassure the eater of what goes in their orders.
Carnitas tasted okey, with a sweet undertone (too much orange juice or whatever they use to prepare it with?), Carne Asada no different than 100 other places in southern California, uninspired and bland, and the Fish almost looking like fish sticks but thicker. None of the burritos a work of art, that is for sure. The price a little steep, but in the end, with the extra meats it surely stops hunger in its tracks. Chronic is a name with a certain attitude, and that if the best thing going for them. Business was brisk, but at the risk of sounding disrespectful to people's palate's I would like to say that it amazes me how fast people settles for less, how easy to please their palate. Well, I am spoiled silly, and I refuse to be intimidated by peer pressure. Being on PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) is got a very active location, and they probably do a lot better than what most think. Good for them! The only thing Chronic about this place is the desire to take a nap right after eating their food. 3 Stars.

Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

Was looking for a bite after getting off my plane and was thinking of getting fast food. But my husband and I stopped here instead. I am glad we did. it is simply a good taqueria. I had a torta and my husband the chronic fries. I would recommend it for good inexpensive food and large portions.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

After years of driving by, I finally stopped in. It was surprising how long it took to make the food and they could only cook 1 meal at a time. The workers were into their own chatter and I don't know why I would go back.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We picked up some takeout and took it to Doeheny Beach for a family picnic. We had several different items from the pork tacos with guac to chicken quesadillas-all were good. Food was fresh, fast and reasonably priced.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Loved this place - delicious tacos especially the fish and veggie ones! Staff was very friendly as well :)