“Good Deli”

Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
San Clemente, California
“Good Deli”
Reviewed November 19, 2011

My husband & I have been on a quest to find a good deli near our home in San Clemente. I heard about the Harbor Deli in the Dana Point Marina & we decided to give it a try. We each had sandwiches (I had the pastrami & my husband had a reuben) - we were both quite pleased with our selections. The sandwiches were a good size, large enough that we each took home 1/2 to eat later. The meat was tender & tasty. They had seating both indoors & outdoors. Service was very friendly. I think we finally found a good deli near home! We will be back!

• Visited November 2011
2 Thank Sylvia H

Mission Viejo, California
“Good Deli Food in An Unlikely Location”
Reviewed September 21, 2011

I'm sorry to see the Harbor Deli has gotten a couple of unfavorable reviews on TA. Maybe they were having a bad day, or maybe the staff has changed, but I've been to this place twice in the last week and my experience was quite positive.

It is hard to find good NY-style deli food in South Orange County. There's Jerry's Famous up near South Coast Plaza, and then.....what? So I decided to give the Harbor Deli a try.

The very nice blonde lady behind the counter told me I could sit anywhere, then brought a little jar of tasty, fresh pickles to the table. The menu was not as extensive as, say, Jerry's, but it hit all the high points -- overstuffed sandwiches, house-made soups, etc. I decided on a pastrami and swiss on rye. (A good deli must have good pastrami.)

The sandwich arrived with a side of cole slaw. The pastrami was wonderful! Lean, tasty, moist. The rye bread seemed freshly baked, and the combination of flavors would fit right in with the great delis I grew up with in West L.A.

Encouraged, I order a quart of their chicken-noodle soup to take home. My wife and I reheated it and it, too, had a genuine deli quality -- large chunks of shredded chicken, vegetables, noodles, all in a flavorful stock. We loved it!

Don't get me wrong. You will not be walking into a big, industrial-strength deli as you would in L.A. or NY. It's a small place in a pleasant, touristy harbor area; its neighbors are gift shops and whale-watch operators. But the food here is quite good and authentic, and the service I encountered was much better than that related by the previous two reviewers.

If you're in Dana Point, and have a taste for deli food, I'd say give it a try.

• Visited September 2011
Dana Point
“Great server Horrible management”
Reviewed June 6, 2011

My server was awesome but the management has to go. Waited for our pizza for 30 min.
The manager came over to us and said it was the servers fault. Said the server should have checked to see if it was done. I personally checked on the pizza and it was never cooked. Then the pizza cook came out & was yelling at her saying he was going to go crazy. It was unbeleivable. We were here a week prior when the cook yelled at my wife.

• Visited June 2011
Williamsburg, VA
“Poor Excuse for a Deli, or a Business”
Reviewed September 3, 2010

Stopping here for lunch was a mistake. Supposedly a NY-style deli, it’s anything but. The food (sandwiches) was only Fair, but worst of all was the service, which was Poor. They were out of anything we tried to order, they had to go to the next door restaurant to get certain items, and they took forever to put together our food and serve us. The ambiance was bad beach, and the overall value of the experience was Poor. Too bad because the Dana Point Pier is pleasant and the other shops there seem to be pretty good, especially the little wine shop.