“My mistake”

Ranked #19 of 146 Restaurants in Dana Point
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 12, 2013

As a local, my mistake always is expecting to get value for the price paid in a tourist trap. I have paid $13 for a hamburger and left the eatery feeling WOW, what a bargain, and I have paid $5 for the same thing elsewhere, wishing I had never crossed the threshold. This place is in the latter category, except I paid $10.50 for the most greasy glob of food I have had the misfortune to come across in a long time. It's a hamburger for goodness sake, so how can someone screw it up so much. Some one needs to start checking what the cooks are shoveling out as food in this place. I first ate at Proud Mary's in 1984-85 when it was a dive for the fishing boats. I would show up at 5:30 AM for biscuits and gravy before my Saturday golf game, then somebody burned down the place a few years ago and it has been a rip off ever since. Sorry that is how I feel.

1  Thank socal55wm

Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband and I were looking for a bit of a romantic breakfast. We found it here. Wonderful menu, both light and hearty available. We ate in the bar, overlooking the water. There is outdoor seating as well. The owners are fantastic. They greeted us, served us and treated us like family. We loved the sandwiches for breakfast and the screwdrivers added to the niceness of this restaurant. It was very nicely decorated, very clean and even though there were quite a few people, we were not crowded. We will go back for breakfast again, but would also like to try the rest of the menu. Prices are very reasonable.
A real find in a nice area.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

I had read some reviews on Trip Advisor prior to our trip to Dana Point and I knew we should eat breakfast at Proud Mary's. We were not disappointed. We were the only ones there at 8am. Karen, our great server, took great care of us and kept the coffee coming. There are many choices at reasonable prices. My husband had the ham and cheese omelet -- it was packed with ham and the cheese flowed. I had the special of an open faced English muffin topped with cheese, eggs, and a mild chili pepper. Yum! And only $8. They are open from 8am-2pm for breakfast and lunch. They will do special events after 3:30pm. The view from the dining area is wonderful.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

The place is located on the harbor in Dana Point and the view is great. Had a nice lunch with fish tacos and a Mahi sandwich on sourdough bread. Our server was very nice and helpful. The prices are reasonable for lunch.

1  Thank JohnK11
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I had dispatched a group out on the Curlew for a sailing charter and decided to drop in here for breakfast.

The restaurant is nice and staff was very friendly and competent.

There is a large dining room with an entire row of windows overlooking Dana Point Wharf where the various leisure boats depart from. Lovely view of the further coastline as well. Weather was beautiful with a nice environment.

Tried the Chocolate Chip Pancakes with bacon. Pancakes short stack delicious, light and flavorful and not the kind that you have to pour a gallon of syrup on to find any taste. Bacon flavorful but a little more than the medium I ordered. Also ordered a Diet Coke which they served with an additional carafe for your own person refills. I liked this versus always having to ask.

Waitress friendly and checked back several times to make sure everything was good.

Bill was around $12.00 including tax and tip.

I like this place and I'll be back.