“Dump” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
San Juan Capistrano, California
“Dump”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

This hotel is the picture of a dump!!! Rooms and doors, in fact the whole building needs painting, the TVs were built two centuries ago, the morning breakfast is a joke, and believe it or not, their washer and dryer for the guess is in the pool area (How Tacky can you get). The driveway is in desperate need of repaving, and management is at best rude.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel as this place is a lost cause
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Randall J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
El Dorado Hills, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

Location is as promised, right across the street from the beach. Breakfast was as expected for the price consisting of store bought goods (two types of cold cereal, oatmeal, mini bagels, mini cinnamon rolls, yogurt, cookies, and coffee). Convenient mini-fridge. Beds were standard comfort. Room smelled a little funky, but we got used to it. Swimming pool was small and old, but who cares when you're right next to the beach!
All that being said, we would not recommend this place do to the fact we found 3 Bed Bugs crawling on the bathroom floor which were already red in color, which according to the research we did, means they already fed off of somebody's blood. We gave the bugs in a folded tissue to the front desk and they said they would show it to the manager, but one will never know.
For the price and location its a good deal, but unfortunately we will not be staying here again simply because we do not prefer to share our bed with bugs.

Room Tip: Bed bugs in room 220
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Tiffany G
Columbia Falls, Montana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

We stayed just one night and the location was perfect for walking across the street to the beach, which was our reason for being there.
Our room was dated and not terribly clean, it also had an old funky odor. We did not walk on the carpet without shoes on. When we went to bed I unfolded the blanket and encountered a spot on the edge that was crusty and white. Needless to say I quickly washed my hands and went to the car for some blankets.
The room next to us was being occupied by some local surfers, they were friendly enough, but spent a lot of time smoking on the walk right outside our room, so we were unable to leave the window open for fresh air as the smoke just blew right in. We stayed on a Saturday night and it was a bit rowdy and loud early in the evening, but it did quiet down and we got a good nights sleep.
The continental breakfast consisted of three kinds of cold cereal and some squished mini bagels and that was about all.
My credit card was charged only the agreed upon rate for the room, that was a relief after reading some of he other reviews.
I might stay again for just one night as the price just can't be beat for a place so close to the beach on Dana point. I would bring my own bedding though, and go with little expectations for the room. I'm just here for the beach.

• Stayed June 2012
5 Thank Aimee M
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

We checked in here went to our room there was urine and bugs all over the bathroom they refused to give me another room or refund my money. They also refused to tell me who owned it or managed it . By far the worst place I've ever stayed.

• Stayed June 2012
8 Thank ajmancini75
Orange
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

I was worried about the bad review I kept seeing online. I called them to inquire about them. I spoke to Alissa, and she was very respectful and understanding. She explained that some past guest have damaged linen and were charged for them. She also said that guest will take the keys with them and they have to be charge for them, that the charges are all explained when they sign-in. When I check-in, Viany was also very sweet, and she told me about the complementary breakfast, free wi-fi and explained the damage policy. The room was very nice. The ocean is right across the street and the girls very helpful when I called to request a taxi. I returned my key the next day and again the girls were sweet. For the price this place is wonderful.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms in the second building are better.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Brandon1123
la puente
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012

my husband and i said here in the end of Jan. they was nice at first then charged our credit cards after 2 days of checking out for dirty towels and a smoking fee told us we could not get are deposit back. and please stay off there grounds i thought it was a good please at first. but in the end i should have never stopped there. finally in march we got are refund back but after the rude people and disrespect for everyone there i would give this a 1/2 of star. nasty place nasty people

Room Tip: no fitness center or restaurant there
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank angelbearwithwings
Calexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

I stayed at this hotel last summer when I reunited with a high school classmate who lived nearby. The price was more than reasonable considering the price comparisons I made. My room was clean, no mold and no bugs. The continental breakfast was substantial (cereals, toasts, sweet breads, yogurt, coffee, juices and fruit) and fresh. Internet available in the lobby and a state beach nearby. I will definitely book again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family