“Great restaurant for Dim Sum and dinner”
Review of Koi Palace

Koi Palace
Ranked #3 of 228 Restaurants in Daly City
Cuisines: Chinese, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 29, 2018 via mobile

Excellent variety of Dim Sum. Price is reasonable. Resturant is clean. Service is good. Seafood dishes are excellent. Had my daughter’s wedding dinner there. Would recommend to anyone who loves Cantonese food.

Reviewed March 29, 2018

I love dim sum and this is just about the best place for it in the Bay Area! The flavors are deep and authentic. I loved everything we had, the shrimp dumplings and the duck were really great. This is a good place to bring someone if they're visiting from out of town. The impression will be a lasting one!

Reviewed March 26, 2018

Besides the Peking Duck, I don't know what I had as my Chinese sister-in-law did the ordering without using a menu. Everything was quite tasty. It was busy, noisy, and the service spotty, but all in all well worth the visit.

Reviewed March 14, 2018

This place is tops in Chinese cuisine not only in SF, but other cities. The food is definitely 5 star, but I gave it a 4 star because of the looong wait. I can't believe some folks wait over 2 hours for a table for dim sum! Well, again, the food is top notch, but one has to weigh the worth for food.

Reviewed March 5, 2018

My wife and I have started a project to visit all the “best” Dim Sum restaurants in the San Francisco area, as listed in the SF Gate newspaper. Today we went to the Koi Palace in Daly City. The food that we were able to obtain was good, but the poor service pretty much ruined the experience. We will not be back.

Dim Sum, of course, is Chinese food generally served in multiple small portions on small plates or baskets that are shared amongst the table. We have found there is a spectrum among restaurants in how Dim Sum is ordered. In some restaurants all the food comes from servers who wander around the restaurant, often with the dishes on a cart, and the customers look at each offering and decide on the spot whether to take what is being offered. This would be typical, say, of the Tong Kiang restaurant the central Richmond District. In other Dim Sum restaurants, all the small plates are ordered simultaneously off a menu, and the server brings you what you ordered directly from the kitchen. This would be typical of the Shanghai House in the outer Richmond. Koi Palace mixes these two approaches together: for some food, you have to flag down a server carrying the food around; but for other food you have to order off the menu. But this service mash up did not work well at the Koi Palace.

Because we had heard that sometimes there was a long wait to be seated at the Koi Palace, we arrived at about 11:10 AM on a Monday morning. We needn’t have worried, as the large dining room was only about half full at that time (. . . it did fill up just after noon, though), and we were seated almost immediately and served hot tea. We asked for water, and that came quickly enough. But then we had our first intimation of possible service issues.

Despite the fact that there were now at least 100 diners in the room, we noted that there was not one person circulating with food. In fact, it wasn’t until about 11:20 that we saw servers moving around with food. And then we had the question, what sorts of DIm Sum were circulating, and what food could only be obtained by ordering? Was there an overlap? Not clear at all. And it was difficult to tell which servers were bringing “ordered” food to other tables, and which were circulating with food that you could simply take. That was because, unlike at other Dim Sum places, none of the Koi Palace servers went announcing what they had (e.g., “Pork Sui Mai!” or “Pork Won Tons!”). And I was uncomfortable flagging the servers down for fear I would be interfering with a waiter delivering an order. As it turned out over then next twenty minutes, the selection of circulating food was extremely limited. We got some small servings of soup dumplings, won tons, plain pork buns, and Daikon (turnip) cake.

At about 11:40 AM, a waiter finally came up to our table (which waiter belonged to which table, also a mystery), and advised us in broken English that we should order from the little menu which we did. Only about half the items on the menu had a price, which I thought odd. We went ahead and ordered just a couple of things (BBQ Pork Buns and Coffee Ribs), because I thought maybe some more savory items might be circulating (they weren’t).

And then we waited. And waited. And waited. After about forty minutes more we flagged down a waiter and asked about the food we had ordered. She said “the food is coming!” And then she said she would check the kitchen. She disappeared for awhile from the dining room, and then was back. But upon her return to the dining room she did not explain to us what was going on, or even acknowledge us - instead she wandered between some other tables. Uggh. We then asked another waiter for the check, and explained that we never received what we ordered from the menu and did not want to pay for it. Upon our departure all we got was some mumbling about how the kitchen was slow today.

Yes, yes, what we got for food was all very good (save the turnip cake, but that is probably an acquired taste). So two stars for the food.

1  Thank Paul5795