“Best place fo drinks in Cupertino!”
Review of Merlion

Merlion
Ranked #51 of 251 Restaurants in Cupertino
Cuisines: Asian, Malaysian, Singaporean
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 18, 2014

I love their drinks! It's decent price and real fresh fruit martini. We ordered 4 drinks and an appetizer, and our tab came out to be about 25 bucks! wow! Drinks at this place is comparable to a high end bar.

Janice is awesome and very friendly. She mixed the best drinks here!

Food is decent. I wouldnt say it's plain.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

I went for lunch around 12:30 and there weren't too many people there. It's a shame because I got good service and the food was quite good. The noodles were good although I wish there was more toppings. I'm not sure how authentic the food is, but I enjoyed it.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

If you want plain average food even though you are expecting exciting spicy maybe even hot food- then this is the place to come. THe place has great promise as viewed from the outside. Large sculptures herald a singapore restaurant. However it seems like most of the effort has gone into touting the bar not the restaurant.

As you enter the "restaurant" you come in through the bar. Even though it has outdoor patio seating, since it is on the corner of a busy street, you might not want to be there. I travel by it about three times a week and have never seen outside diners - just the outside seating.

Once you get past the bar you are brought into an area that could be a high school cafeteria. The nicest seating is in the booths around the edge, but it is plain and functional as are the tables and chairs in the middle. off to one side they seem to have stashed a pike of equipment -perhaps for a weekend show, perhaps for the next garage sale. At any rate it belongs some where else - not in plain view.

The tables are covered in coarse table clothes and covered over with white wrapping paper. Why pretend? Save the trees and just use the table top - then you can call yourself "green".

If everything were served in mouth sized portions then the use of just a fork and a spoon might be ok. As it was a knife was needed on several occasions, and they even found one.

Almost all of this could be forgiven if it were truly a great food experience - but it was blah. The items marked spicy were served bland. The spiciest thing served was the curry sauce for the roti telur. The items marked bland were unbelievably bland to the point of being not there.

They have a large menu - representing several cultures- as does Singapore itself. But why bother if all of the vegetables in several different dishes are the same vegetables cut the same way with different sauces?

The "pad thai" should have been nice rice noodles with a fish based sauce. It looked and tasted like taglierini with a tomato cream sauce. It was edible- it had peanuts, it had no chiles, no basil, and the noodles glopped together. it had bean sprouts- it wasn't in my estimation pad thai

Absolutely no condiments were served on the table to allow customers to enhance the taste experience. If you eat in Singapore , you can find condiments in a bewildering array.

The house oxtail soup had some richness you would associate with oxtail, but it should have had more flavor as if from a reduction of the stock. As it was the oxtail was untrimmed and had big globs of fat still attached.

We ordered Sarang Taro Basket chicken which was supposed to be the bland dish in our meal. It was bland to the point of insipid. The deep fried taro basket was more like a ring of deep fried taro rather than a complete basket. I have had this dish in other places where the basket was a complete basket and it was thin and crisp. This was rather thick - letting you get to basically raw poi in the middle of the basket. ( Ok maybe it was cooked but the texture change was unwelcome.)

Our last dish was lemon grass okra. Okra is tricky. Cook it too long and it gets slimy, too little and its like biting into a weed. They cooked this just about right. However the okra was pretty much whole or in large chunks and needed to be set up to be mouth-sized in prep. This was supposed to be a spicy dish - not even close.

The only bright note was the cheerful and helpful attitude of the wait staff. What they have to be cheerful about is unknown.

For the quality of the food this was a pricey place. You could do a lot better an any of these dishes in a dozen other restaurants in the area.

Reviewed February 9, 2012

2006 was my first trip to Merlion and now after almost 6 years I landed up there. Heard much about changed menu from my family and friends. Frankly, food was OK.. did not find much difference in the taste ( whatever I remember ...) Basil fried rice was excellent and so did Roti Prata.. We did order Black pepper sizzling prawns and Rendang chicken, both were disappointing...
Anyways it was a mixed reaction... some nostalgia , memories but more towards same food...!

Reviewed September 14, 2011

We have been to this place off and on for years and the food has been mostly excellent (suffering a bit when they were busy.) Now we find they have adopted an expanded Singaporean menu! We went to try this recreated restaurant only to find that our favorite Roti Prata is much thinner and the lamb satay is no longer offered. Before dinner, we had some drinks during happy hour and we were served the skimpiest martini and a margarita made with a neon green commercial mix. Really??

1  Thank STCali