“Very authentic Japanese food”

Gochi Japanese Fusion Tapas
Ranked #5 of 234 Restaurants in Cupertino
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Loudoun County, Virginia
“Very authentic Japanese food”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Having lived in Japan I will tell you that this is very authentic Japanese food. First off make a reservation. Secondly you will be sitting on the floor. They do offer about four tables with chairs so if you require that please add that in your reservation. What's unique is when you sit on the floor under the short table is an area where your feet dangle into. You are not sitting with your legs crossed but you do not have any back support. When we were there the restaurant was mostly filled with Japanese folks. I take that as a very very good sign. The food is extremely fresh, very well-prepared, and delicious. Definitely worth the stop if you enjoy Japanese food

• Visited March 2014

Cupertino, California
“Terrific!”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

This is a really good Japanese restaurant. The Sushi is very very good and fresh. Whats even better is the cooked items on the menu. They have a decent selection of sake as well. Service is a bit slow but overall ok.
I highly recommend this for the quality of food and is my favorite Japanese restaurant in Cupertino.

• Visited January 2014
Sunnyvale, California
“Definitely make a reservation!”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Gochi is so highly rated on Yelp that it really drove my expectations up. Thankfully, I was not disappointed :)

Make sure you make a reservation if you plan on having dinner on a weekend night in Gochi, since the place fills up pretty fast. My boyfriend had to call about 5 times throughout the day before someone finally picked up the phone to take his reservation though :/

Sashimi Moriawase - Zoms, the freshness and quality of the sashimi is unbeatable. Not even Ocean Blue can top this! The salmon was fatty but yet so light in flavor. The snapper was extremely sweet. Everything was just perfect on this one. Even though mots of the sashimi only had 2 slices, the quality really makes the price tag worth it!

Yuzu Ceviche - Love the homemade potato chip! The ceviche was very light and had a sweetness that oozed from the freshness of the fish. Yumm.

Crab cream puff - This was okay. I felt that the filling was too creamy and the flavor a little too light. I can see why some people would love this croquette, but unfortunately it was a little weak for me.

Grilled beef tongue - Yummy! There were some slices that were not as chewy as others, but overall still a pretty good dish!

Unagi claypot rice with dashi soup - Definitely recommend getting the dashi soup (for an extra $2.50) to go along with your claypot rice. Pour the soup into the rice like how you'd eat a chazuke. The soup brings out the flavor of the fish and the rice. Yummy!

Tenzaru Udon - The udon was cooked, but a little on the chewy side. I'd have liked it better if it was a little less chewy. The tempura batter was, omg, one of the best I've ever had. I'm not usually a fan of deep fried food, but this made me keep wanting to have more. Oh, and remember to ask for Tempura sauce to go along with it too!

Green tea creme brulee - Wow, this was very good! Not too sweet like the usual caramel creme brulee. Definitely order this!

Black sesame ice cream - Extremely generous in the serving - three scoops!!

The food quality here is definitely one of the best I've had. However, I was disappointed that the serving of the food was not staggered. Instead of serving appetizers first, followed by entrees, all the dishes were served at the same time. Since there were only 2 of us, our table pretty much filled up before all the food arrived (yes, we ordered too much for 2 people, but who could resist when everything on the menu sounded so good?!?!). It was pretty upsetting because:
1) It is stressful to enjoy your tapas when your table is pretty much filled up and you hardly have room to move your plate
2) While you're enjoying your appetizers, your entrees are dying on the table :(

In the end, we had to reject the tenzaru udon and have them serve it later. Thankfully, they served us a freshly made one instead of the previous one we rejected :)

The entire bill came up to be about $110 (before tips) which is pretty decent for the amount of food we ordered.

Between Kappo Nami Nami and Gochi though, I'd still prefer Kappo. I do see how this may not be a fair comparison since the former is more fusion while the latter is more traditional izakaya. But I guess it would have been a bonus if there was more creativity in the menu :/

5 stars for the food quality. -1 star for the bad serving timing! :(

Visited October 2013
Cupertino, California
“Imaginative Japanese Fusion Tapas”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

If you really want something different, try Gochi! Amazingly good fusion tapas. A wonderful variety of preparations - stir fry, fried, salads, pizzas (yes pizzas), broiled nabes, etc. The clay pot rice bowls are excellent. There are tables, floor seating (with leg cutouts) and tatami rooms. Variety of beers & sochu. Be sure to make reservations for dinner. New Mt. View location, too.

• Visited August 2013
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“A wonderfully different Japanese experience: tapas/fusion.”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Our Japanese family told us it was their Japanese favorite in San José area. We especially enjoyed salmon carpaccio, shrimp in mayonnaise, and clay pot rice. We'll be back.

• Visited July 2013