“Best ever stay in a hotel!”
Review of Cupertino Inn

Cupertino Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Cupertino
Reviewed December 9, 2008

I stayed in the Cupertino Inn over the Thanksgiving holiday with my husband and baby while visiting family. My sister lives in Cupertino and said that this was the closest hotel to her house, that it was nothing fancy and was probably a business hotel that got a lot of business from Apple (being 2 blocks from Apple headquarters).

Being from the Bay Area, it was a little weird staying in a hotel "at home", but I have to say that this is one of the best ever hotels I have ever stayed in. I called the hotel directly to make my reservations and was giving a special insanely low "holiday rate" on a king suite. I don't want to mention how low for fear that they'll never offer it again.

The Cupertino Inn is indeed nothing fancy. A very, very basic hotel with 1980's worn furnishings. It appears they may be updating the hotel. But our room was the largest room I've ever stayed in, was super clean, the towels fluffy and plentiful without asking and the toiletries very nice and replenished everyday. There were two sinks and a really nice showerhead with great pressure. The sitting room has a very cheesy 1970-80's wet bar. There's no separate refrig for your own use but is for the honor bar/refrig. There's a real closet in the bedroom with a full length mirror. There are two TVs.

All of the staff were very professional, attentive, and extremely accommodating to my family. They brought in a crib and lots of extra blankets and sheets immediately. They said it was no problem to use the courtesy bar/refrig for our personal use (mainly my baby's milk and food).

My son loved all the space to run around in. He loved the huge fountain in the courtyard. I could hear kids from other families taking advantage of the year-round heated pool too. The one downside to our room was that the bedroom window was full-length and could easily open (meaning my son could fall out if he got the window open). I should have alerted the staff to that, but I just pushed a large easy chair in the way instead.

Full buffet breakfast was included: eggs, potatoes, sausage, make- your-own waffles with pre-measured batter, yogurt, fruit, cereal, juice, pastries, bagels, large serviceable plates, glasses and silverware as well as huge to-go paper coffee cups Again, the staff were super attentive and jumped to help (with a smile) when they saw me looking for a tray to bring breakfast back to my room. The downstairs lounge was filled with families over the holiday weekend. There's a big screen TV and lots of board games. One father told me his family always stays at the Cupertino Inn whenever they are in town. The dining room also has dinner room service (we didn't use--hey, it was Thanksgiving!)

Overall, a nice clean large room, nice professional attentive staff, great breakfast. I say this all even though my son had the stomach flu and was vomiting (thankfully just on me and not on the hotel's furnishings!) and whiny all night long, and we were all half sick. So, even though we were all physically miserable, I still thought the hotel was great!! I'll definitely stay here whenever I need a hotel anywhere in the Bay Area.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Cupertino Inn

Reviewed November 12, 2008

I have stayed at Cupertino Inn twice in the last 6 months - the facilities are very basic - the hotel is in need of a remodel. The staff is hit or miss - I have encountered very helpful people and some that couldn't care less. The location was excellent for my needs. There is a very limited room service menu that leaves a lot to be desired. The positives are the excellent breakfast and evening cocktails and snacks.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 24, 2008

My experience at this hotel has been quite terrible. My first encounter with the staff was in the lobby where the night manager, with every disregard for any customer service skills, treated me as if I was an doing him a favor by checking into his hotel.

Even-though I had previously reserved my room at a particular price with the reservations manager, he insisted that I was not entitled such price. His communication skills were terrible and made the situation really awkward. While checking me in he carried on complaining about co-workers, something completely unnecessary in front to customers.

After cold welcome I managed to get to my room, which smelled oddly and had a few suspicious stains on both the carpet and the furniture.

Later during my stay I received a complaint from the front desk because of excessive noise, which is completely understandable since I was having a late phone call with someone. I wasn't being particularly loud, but the walls are quite thin and badly insulated so it was inevitable. The part that bothered me was the way he addressed the subject. These were his own words:

"We've received a noise complaint and it has to stop or we will have to throw you out."

I've never heard this ever before at any hotel in my life after traveling quite a bit. It takes someone some great lack of common sense to approach a customer in this way.

I really recommend staying away from this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 2, 2007

The rooms are clean enough (no decent kettle though!), but there are no other redeeming features of this hotel. There is no restaurant and breakfast is an uncomfortable make-shift affair in the lounge area. On a couple of occasions the food and hot water had run out and there was nobody on hand to replenish supplies.

The desk staff seem disinterested in the needs or requests of the residents, often more consumed with their own jokes and conversations. I needed to use a safe deposit box but it was permanently in use and they offered no alternative.

It's acceptable as somewhere to put your head down for the night, but don't expect any more for your money.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed May 29, 2007

I drove from Oregon to the Cupetino Inn to celebrate my birthday because it was a central place for my California relatives to meet. The room was very comfortable, the bathroom had two sinks, and the separate sitting room allowed me to work late while my traveling companions slept. Our room was on the ground floor, close to the pool and to rooms occupied by my relatives. From the outside, the hotel looks like a cement monolith, but inside you find it is built around a lovely courtyard containing a fountain, pool, sauna, and lush plants.

Everyone who came to my party enjoyed some aspect of the Cupertino Inn. The kids loved the heated outdoor pool and sauna (open 24 hours), the men enjoyed watching baseball on the big screen TV, my cousin used the free wireless from the moment we checked in until the moment we checked out, I enjoyed the open bar, and there were plenty of food options nearby. The staff had no problem with me having a birthday party in the lounge that went late into the night with several people who weren't staying at the Inn (we weren't too noisy though). Everyone had a great time making waffles in the breakfast buffet.

The was a TV in the bedroom and one in the sitting room, but neither got very many channels. The one in the sitting room had a VCR; neither TV had a DVD player. The remote was missing from the one in the sitting room. The 1980's level technology didn't bother my son at all as he was able to find videos at the front desk that he was happy to watch.

Reviewed September 15, 2006

This hotel has a lot of nice touches. I stayed for one night. The breakfeast in the morning was nice and had everything I like to have for breakfeast. The room's only negative was that the TV channels are not expansive - no Comedy Central, for example. The whirlpool was also non functional.

Overall: the hotel has a lot of nice touches, and is located within walking distance of Apple HQ. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank zbeeblebrox
Reviewed September 1, 2006

Because of problems with my flight from JFK, I arrived at San Jose Airport six hours late -- at 3:30am. I had reserved a rental car, but unsurprisingly the rental place was closed between 2am and 5am. I called the Cupertino Inn and they told me that they would come and pick me up. They came within 30 minutes. The room I was given was a nice suite with a nice sized living area. The breakfast selection was nice -- even included make-your-own-waffle facilities. Without me asking, the Inn offered to drop me off at the company I had business with that day. They told me that if I needed to be taken anywhere else to call the Inn. They drove me back to the airport once my business was concluded. Because they were so solicitous, I didn't miss the rental car I had reserved but never picked up. Overall, the service was great, the facilities were nice and I would stay there again if I had business in that area again.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank 8675309jenny
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cupertino
The Grand Hotel
#4 of 6 in Cupertino
The Domain Hotel
The Domain Hotel
#4 of 33 in Sunnyvale

Been to Cupertino Inn? Share your experiences!