“Finally a modern, casual hotel in Cupertino”
Review of Aloft Cupertino

Aloft Cupertino
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Cupertino
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I work for a company with an office very close to the new Aloft Cupertino; right there on De Anza, actually, within walking distance. I've stayed at the Cupertino Inn a mile or so down the street. And, I've stayed at the Kimpton's Cypress Hotel located caddy-corner to this location. Of the three, my favorite - after just the one stay - is Aloft.

Don't get me wrong, the other two hotels I've enjoyed as well. (Cupertino Inn has a great happy hour every day from 5-7; while the Cypress is chic and elegant.) Yet, Aloft stands out because of the little things:

1. "Refuel": an upscale convenience store, of sorts. Pick up a quick bite from a good selection of options. You can get a Lean Cuisine if you want, but I opted for the bean and cheese burrito for my arrival day lunch and a cup of fresh berries. The berries I ended up having one every day because they were so freaking awesomely delicious. You can even get a cooked breakfast at the little counter. Not just for food, if you need any personal items, they have a selection of those as well for purchase.

The seating area is very Apple store meets coffee-house chic, with options from high bar tables and rather comfy stools, to low banquettes adorned with Lichtenstein-inspired pillows. There's an outside seating area with heating lamps, though I didn't see any good tables, so I never ate out there.

2. AppleTV: I was able to log-in to my Netflix account and watch things I had queued up. Lots of options. One issue: in order to get back to 'regular' TV, the remote didn't work - I had to turn off the TV and turn it back on again. Not a big hassle, but something to note should you stay here.

3. Style: Now I was expecting really more of a loft styling, which is actually barely there (note the front-mounted sliding panels for doors - that's about it). Yet, the room was sleek but inviting. Lots of what looked like maybe bamboo veneers for the wood surfaces. One wall was covered entirely in a warm dark gray corrugated fabric (love!). The bed was firm and comfy.

The elevators are mostly black-lit, which I found rather soothing/calming. Only on my last morning did I notice that the floors of the elevator, which I had til then thought looked only like blue-splattered laminate tiles, were actually 'smushy', like those old oil stickers from the 80s. Meaning, you step on them and the blue liquid inside moves around. Sorta cool.

The front desk was always quick to help, and the cleanliness and maid service seemed above par.

I highly recommend the Aloft.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed April 14, 2013

+ Brand new hotel, very clean
+ Light and spacious rooms
+ Friendly and attentive staff, from receptionists to cleaners
+ Free shuttle service at flexible hours to neighboring areas within a 5 mile radius Mon-Fri 7am-3pm
+ 24x7 gym
+ outdoor swimming pool
+ free wifi internet
+ in-room safe, bottled water, coffee machine
+ AppleTV in room for playing own content (- I didn't get it to work with my Windows & Android)
+ The hotel staff equipped my room with a minibar as I've requested before my arrival
- Gym fairly small, ok for runners but only one multi-functional machine for body building
- No restaurant (b'fast self-service buffet and there are also a few places to get food within a walking distance from the hotel)
- Kind of far away from everywhere (except Apple offices)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Cupertino, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Thank you for sharing your review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our Aloft amenities during your stay. We hope to see you again if your travels bring you through Cupertino!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

All the good things that come with an ALoft plus big rooms. ALoft has got it right for the traveling business folks. Please keep it that way. This Aloft has underground parking, a great bar scene, good bfast options and great rooms.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from elevators.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Cupertino, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We're thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us on your business trip. Hope to see you again for the next one.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I was on a personal "get away" trip, and wanted to be in the Silicon Valley area to see a couple of friends before heading out to the coast for a drive. Aloft was the right price with a location central to all the places I was trying to hit. Easy freeway access, plenty of local stores and restaurants in the area. Great attitude from the staff, and a nice, efficient contemporary place to stay!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for three nights and had a great experience. The staff is very friendly, the rooms are nice and comfortable, and the food in the bar is really good. This is the nicest Aloft I have experienced. Also, appreciated the Apple TV...finished a movie on Netflix on the big LCD.
Cool Spot!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Cupertino, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Thanks for the review! We appreciate your comments and will be sharing them with our team. We're glad you enjoyed your experience in w xyz bar, and that you were able to finish your movie! Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Standard Aloft property, located right off the expressway. The location makes driving to SFO, San Jose, or other valley communities pretty easy. There are several dining, grocery, and retail stores in the immediate area.

Good size room, with nice fixtures and linens. Not sure if any rooms offer a tub; shower seems to be the standard.

Gym was small but as others have noted everything is brand new. Bar in the lobby did not appear to be very busy.

The parking garage is in the basement. It's kind of an adventure, in that it seems to fill up fairly early in the evening. There are unused stalls that are two-deep such that a valet service would be required to manage, and then there are several electric vehicle stalls that were going unused. Not sure where they'd send overflow parking.

They seem to be working out some kinks as a new property. That said, all of the staff were very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We're happy to hear you enjoyed our property and our free parking garage for our guests. Hope to see you again soon if your travels bring you through Cupertino.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Just stayed at the new Aloft Cupertino -- first time Aloft experience and it was more than excellent. Great staff, fun environment, awesome bar and comfy, efficient rooms. Good desk for work, easy plug-ins thorughout the hotel and even a pool for laps! Fresh, already a busy atmosphere, and great grab and go for healthy and fun lunch and snacks. Highly recommend this new hotel!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank BeachHouse_11
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Cupertino, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Thanks for the review! We're happy to hear you enjoyed the style and atmosphere of our new Aloft hotel. Hope to see you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cupertino
Juniper Hotel
Aloft San Jose Cupertino
Aloft San Jose Cupertino
#19 of 75 in San Jose
Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel

Been to Aloft Cupertino? Share your experiences!