“Wonderful, delicious and delicate tastes, but make reservations!!”
Review of Red Crane - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Red Crane
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: S. De Anza Blvd.
Transit: VTA bus stops are conveniently located near the restaurant.
Norcal
“Wonderful, delicious and delicate tastes, but make reservations!!”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Located in a strip mall on Bollinger off of Saratoga-Sunnyvale Road, this small restaurant was a pleasant discovery.
We tried the The Red Crane Salad, Chinese Chicken Salad, Rainbow Ceviche, Chile Tofu, Char Siu Marinated Chilean Sea Bass and the Roasted Garlic Chow Mein.... all of the dishes were very good.
The Chilean Sea Bass was perfectly cooked, moist with a sweet and delicate taste. It had Chinese vegetables and a cilantro-soy vinaigrette.
The Rainbow Ceviche had diced tuna, salmon, hamachi and crab with avocado, tomato, red onion, citrus-soy dressing and nori chips... It was good.
The salads were very good and were not overpowered by the vinaigrette dressings.
The Chile Tofu was crispy tofu tossed in a sweet chile sauce. It was a simple, mild and sweet tasting dish.
...And the Roasted Garlic Chow Mein? It was surprisingly mild, tasty and delicate.
If you plan to eat dinner during normal hours (6 to 7:30PM), I would highly recommend reservations, even during the weekdays. We had tried this place a couple of times before as walk-ins and would have needed to wait until after 8PM for a table.
We will return and will definitely make reservations!

• Visited February 2013

Windsor, California
“Delicious lunch”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Interesting, tasty, and well-prepared food. I have not been here for dinner although our lunch was delicious. The menu is a bit pricey.

Visited July 2012
San Jose
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice dinner”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was my third time here and didn't disappoint just as the first time. The calamari was very fresh and fried just the way I like it. The Chilean sea bass was excellent! Our waitress was very warm and friendly even when the restaurant got crowded, she always had a smile on her face! We never felt rushed and had a very tasty dinner.

• Visited January 2013
San Jose, California
“The Red Crane”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I recently went there for lunch with a friend and was so impressed, I took my family for dinner. The ambience of the restaurant is very nice so don't be fooled by the strip mall it's located in. Once inside, the restaurant is very becoming and the staff is eager to assist you.

Just be aware that at lunch, portions are served individually, however, at dinner it is served family style. Be sure to order enough to satisfy everyone as the portions are just enough. We were a party of six and all of us ate every last bite.

The restaurant was busy that evening, but the staff was still very attentive to our needs. The quality of the food was very good and since we're originally from Hawaii we enjoyed the Asian influence of the meal. My son especially enjoyed the Bacon Fried Rice. The char siu sea bass is a specialty of the restaurant and it fully lived up to the taste and quality of the fish.

For dessert, we had the shaved ice martini. It came in a martini glass but it was huge and it fed our family of six. The flavors were delectable and the ice was thinly shaved, just like what you would expect if you got a shave ice in Hawaii.

All in all, we enjoyed this visit and I know I will be back.

• Visited December 2012
San Francisco Bay Area
“Food was good but pricey”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I visited this restaurant first time to use my Groupon coupon. Food was excellent but pricey, food quantities were not enough for us. You must reserve plenty of time to get you served, advanced booking is necessary because this restaurant is not big and easily filled out quickly, slow table turnover rate caused by slow service.

• Visited October 2012