“Delicious Mother's Day Brunch”

Ugo: An Italian Bar
Ranked #56 of 318 Restaurants in Culver City
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Only been here for brunch. Delicious omelets, breakfast pizzas, etc. On mother's day they had bottomless bloody mary's and mimosas for $16. I imagine dinner would be delicious.

There are newer reviews for Ugo: An Italian Bar

Reviewed December 4, 2013

The quality of the food is not as good as a few years ago. We ordered pizza and meatballs and they were very bland and little to no flavor. The pizza was actually cold and did not appear to be cooked all the way. Previous visits were better than this. Also, the portions are not the same size.
Probably will not return.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

My friends and I were looking for Meet in Paris but parked in front of Ugo and decided to just eat there. We're glad we did! The staff were so friendly and accommodating. The food was good, varied, and prompt. I'd recommend to friends passing through Culver City.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

I had a great time
I ordered a bruschetta it was prepared with tomato, garlic, fresh basil on a nice bread
a concha toro red wine from Chile
dessert a cannoli alla siciliana (not enough chocolate chip)
but still good

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Ugo recently did a bit of renovating and so was closed for a couple of months. I went back a few days ago for the first time after the renovations and am sad to report that overall I found it to have gone downhill a bit.

First, they revamped the menu a bit - I wouldn't say this is a show stopper but I was disappointed that they no longer offer what had been my favorite dish there, Spaghettini D'Malfi (spaghettini in tomato cream sauce with rock shrimp and capers). So we tried a few new dishes - one was an appetizer containing steamed shrimp on a bed of green apple slices, another was shell pasta with chicken and red peppers, and another was pasta with mushrooms in a tomato creme sauce. All of these were good, but generally I would say they were all a little on the bland side. More flavor is called for. For dessert we had tiramisu, which was the highlight of the meal and truly excellent - its served in a chocolate shell which was to die for. After we paid the check we also visited their gelato bar and tried a few samples - all were excellent except that the gelato scooped from the outside edge of the gelato bowl seemed dry.

Second, the level of service seems to have gone down a bit as well. The bread as originally served to us was not warm, and we had to ask several times to get bread that was actually warm. Also, when the bread was served the waitress brought a bottle of vinegar and oil and poured some into a dish for us. These used to be kept on the table and since we like to use a lot of vinegar, we asked her to leave the bottles - she complied, but the look on her face made it clear that she didn't want to or wasn't supposed to.

In any case, I'm probably going to give them another try based on previous experiences. Ugo has a nice location, the outdoor dining area is nice and the prices are reasonable. Given that we went a few days after they opened from their renovations, maybe they were still getting themselves sorted.