“Must stay hotel”
Review of The Culver Hotel

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Culver City
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I recently spent a few days at the hotel and the staff were just fantastic. Nice rooms, good food and drinks but overall the staff just excelled. Smiling, happy and warmly welcoming in all their interactions with me.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Seth H, General Manager at The Culver Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2013

It is the staff that makes the difference, thank you for recognizing them.
See you again soon.

The Historic Culver Hotel

Reviewed October 27, 2013

We didn't know what to expect when coming to Culver City for a wedding, but it certainly wasn't this totally cool hotel. Loved the history of the place, and you could tell at every turn that you were in a classic place. The amenities, etc., are of course thoroughly modern, but the hotel maintains its vintage LA feel. The breakfast buffet food was great and the dining room better, and we enjoyed our drinks at the bar (though pricey). Several sidewalk restaurants and surrounding shops make the area fun too. Most important, the beds were fantastic -- perfect after flying 18 hours to get there!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Seth H, General Manager at The Culver Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

That trip from Qatar is crazy. My family trip takes me to South Africa and 24 hours of flying!
Thanks for joining us and letting people know of your pleasant experience.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

I used to live in LA so I know this area well, but I'd NEVER thought of staying in Culver City when I had to come back to visit. I had a business meeting nearby, so this made sense, and a friend recommended it. If you love unique boutique hotels with personal service, you'll love this place. Add in the history and that you can walk to everything you need including shops, restaurants, and a bonus Trader Joe's for snacks and drinks... you've got it made. Live music at nighttime in the romantic lobby too. If you're a light sleeper though bring earplugs as it can get noisy outside with all the people walking around on the streets at night.

Rooms are very nice - fresh and felt new. Small bathroom but functional and beautiful. The only blemish on my stay was my room was missing its desk chair when i checked in! Weird. And FYI I did not try their food. I will definitely stay here again if I have to be in Culver City.

2  Thank sologirltraveler
Seth H, General Manager at The Culver Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Love your moniker, Solo Girl Traveler.
it is amazing how much Culver City has changed, and people who live in LA are discovering that we are a destination in the County. It is fun being here.
Sorry about the chair, we collect old chairs with character and get them refinished, and sometimes these oldies are a little more fragile than hotel chairs should be. It has been replaced.
See you again soon.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Spent a few nights at this "old" favorite. We had a room at the "pointed" end - windows on two sides with lots of sunshine. The staff was extremely courteous and friendly. The Hotel is situated in an area of shops and dining offering many choices and places for a nice stroll. The hotel dining room and lounge is great - nightly jazz and good food. We highly recommend this spot.

Room Tip: Top two floors in the narrow end.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EEB_11
Seth H, General Manager at The Culver Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

The room you stayed in was the "7" series, one of our smaller rooms with a Queen bed, but one of the most popular. The Hotel was built in 1924 in the "Flatiron" shape that some would be familiar with in New York and Chicago. Harry Culver designed his City to be at the crossroads of traffic on the Westside of Los Angeles, and his centerpiece, our Hotel, was right there.

Thank you for staying and sharing your experience with our future guests.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

The sweet boutique Culver Hotel absolutely met my expectations during my recent 18-night stay -- with one exception.

The staff was extraordinarily warm and friendly - they even cheered when I arrived! (Except for that one staff member who at 5:00 in the morning got a little impatient as I was trying to understand how the parking worked at the parking garage -- but it was really early...)

My room (511) was plenty big enough, loaded with comfy pillows and bedding, perfectly fluffy towels. I would have benefited from a writing surface, but I just propped myself up on the bed. Plenty of closet space and drawers -- I loved the beautiful wardrobe and appreciated the extra hangers! And despite my worry that sounds from the nightly happy hour would seep into my room -- I didn't hear a thing.

The location is very convenient: there are many good restaurants within walking distance, including the restaurant in the hotel which serves killer cocktails; a Trader Joe's a block away; a movie theatre steps away; a drug store and big grocery store within a 10 minute walk. I was primarily in the area for work, but I appreciated having these simple conveniences within walking distance for my couple of days off.

The continental breakfast was yummy: really fresh yogurt and fruit, toast, granola. Perfect.

I had the fitness room all to myself every time I used it. The equipment was good quality; the room was clean and well lit.

My only complaint is that the internet is woefully slow -- free, but slow. I could barely download email. As a business traveller, it was really inadequate, and unfortunately means I probably won't stay at this hotel the next time I'm working at Sony. This is a shame, because other than the internet issue, I was really happy here.

2  Thank Ann P

Thank you very much Ann P from London.
I was such a pleasure having you stay with us for that period of time and we do appreciate the wonderful comments you made about our hotel.
Sorry about the internet issue. We did have a Gamers Convention in town called IndieCade that did impact our service to our guests and we DO NEED and WILL BE making improvements to the service we presently have. I do realize how important this is to our modern traveler and we cannot compromise. The solution will be made soon.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Elegance? Charm? Not the words I usually use in connection with LA, but the Culver Hotel has both. For one thing, it's kinda old. Built in 1924 close to many of the old Hollywood studios it's supposed to have been a favorite of the era's megastars. It's a triangular shape, kind of reminiscent of New York's flat iron building but much smaller. I had a pleasant room on its quiet side, could push up the old sash windows to let in fresh air. Comfy beds. The lobby self-service breakfast was really nice - well, for someone like me who's not so interested in greasy eggs and bacon, but likes fresh fruit, muesli, yoghurt, toast, etc. I happened to be there on a Tuesday when there's a farmers' market set up each week just outside the door, selling all manner of good things. Plenty of good eating choices in the area, and it's a quick 25-minute hop from the airport - and not far, either, from Santa Monica and Venice Beach. Good extra: very pleasant staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the quiet side, away from Culver Boulevarde.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Lindsey D
Seth H, General Manager at The Culver Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2013

Thank you so much Lindsey from New Zealand,
really appreciate the sentiment.
See you again.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

This was my first time overseas from Australia in the thirteen years that I've been on this planet. I was hoping so much that the first hotel I stayed at would be good and it certainly passed my expectations. Although it isn't the ideal place for a hotel, (it being at least 20km away from any central hub in Los Angeles) it has an excellent ambiance and great rooms too. We were on level 3 of 6 levels. I don't really have much to say about this hotel and I'm not quite sure why. It might be because it is so similar to some of the hotels in Australia and also possibly because it isn't near anything major (except Sony Studios). The breakfast down stairs in the lobby is great and their sausages came across to me as quite sweet. This is probably because the amount of sugar put in American food is much higher than Australia. (Sugar does make it taste better though.)
This review is probably a little boring to most of you so I'm going to wrap it up by saying that the Culver hotel is good but not excellent.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Seth H, General Manager at The Culver Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

We really do strive to create a Special Experience each time with our guests, and excellent is a much better objective than Good, but thank you in any event.
Culver City IS in the center of the Westside of Los Angeles County, and therefore accessible to everything. Besides Sony (less than a 10 minute walk) the Downtown of Culver City has an array of culinary delights and entertainment options that have made it a destination.
Looking forward to your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Culver City
#7 of 8 in Culver City
The Ritz-Carlton, Marina del Rey
The Ritz-Carlton, Marina del Rey
#4 of 11 in Marina del Rey

Been to The Culver Hotel? Share your experiences!