“Lovely hotel”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Culver City
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The sweet boutique Culver Hotel absolutely met my expectations during my recent 18-night stay -- with one exception.

The staff was extraordinarily warm and friendly - they even cheered when I arrived! (Except for that one staff member who at 5:00 in the morning got a little impatient as I was trying to understand how the parking worked at the parking garage -- but it was really early...)

My room (511) was plenty big enough, loaded with comfy pillows and bedding, perfectly fluffy towels. I would have benefited from a writing surface, but I just propped myself up on the bed. Plenty of closet space and drawers -- I loved the beautiful wardrobe and appreciated the extra hangers! And despite my worry that sounds from the nightly happy hour would seep into my room -- I didn't hear a thing.

The location is very convenient: there are many good restaurants within walking distance, including the restaurant in the hotel which serves killer cocktails; a Trader Joe's a block away; a movie theatre steps away; a drug store and big grocery store within a 10 minute walk. I was primarily in the area for work, but I appreciated having these simple conveniences within walking distance for my couple of days off.

The continental breakfast was yummy: really fresh yogurt and fruit, toast, granola. Perfect.

I had the fitness room all to myself every time I used it. The equipment was good quality; the room was clean and well lit.

My only complaint is that the internet is woefully slow -- free, but slow. I could barely download email. As a business traveller, it was really inadequate, and unfortunately means I probably won't stay at this hotel the next time I'm working at Sony. This is a shame, because other than the internet issue, I was really happy here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Ann P
Seth H, General Manager at The Culver Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you very much Ann P from London.
I was such a pleasure having you stay with us for that period of time and we do appreciate the wonderful comments you made about our hotel.
Sorry about the internet issue. We did have a Gamers Convention in town called IndieCade that did impact our service to our guests and we DO NEED and WILL BE making improvements to the service we presently have. I do realize how important this is to our modern traveler and we cannot compromise. The solution will be made soon.

The Culver Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Hebrew first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Elegance? Charm? Not the words I usually use in connection with LA, but the Culver Hotel has both. For one thing, it's kinda old. Built in 1924 close to many of the old Hollywood studios it's supposed to have been a favorite of the era's megastars. It's a triangular shape, kind of reminiscent of New York's flat iron building but much smaller. I had a pleasant room on its quiet side, could push up the old sash windows to let in fresh air. Comfy beds. The lobby self-service breakfast was really nice - well, for someone like me who's not so interested in greasy eggs and bacon, but likes fresh fruit, muesli, yoghurt, toast, etc. I happened to be there on a Tuesday when there's a farmers' market set up each week just outside the door, selling all manner of good things. Plenty of good eating choices in the area, and it's a quick 25-minute hop from the airport - and not far, either, from Santa Monica and Venice Beach. Good extra: very pleasant staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the quiet side, away from Culver Boulevarde.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Lindsey D
Seth H, General Manager at The Culver Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Thank you so much Lindsey from New Zealand,
really appreciate the sentiment.
See you again.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 30, 2013

This was my first time overseas from Australia in the thirteen years that I've been on this planet. I was hoping so much that the first hotel I stayed at would be good and it certainly passed my expectations. Although it isn't the ideal place for a hotel, (it being at least 20km away from any central hub in Los Angeles) it has an excellent ambiance and great rooms too. We were on level 3 of 6 levels. I don't really have much to say about this hotel and I'm not quite sure why. It might be because it is so similar to some of the hotels in Australia and also possibly because it isn't near anything major (except Sony Studios). The breakfast down stairs in the lobby is great and their sausages came across to me as quite sweet. This is probably because the amount of sugar put in American food is much higher than Australia. (Sugar does make it taste better though.)
This review is probably a little boring to most of you so I'm going to wrap it up by saying that the Culver hotel is good but not excellent.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Seth H, General Manager at The Culver Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
We really do strive to create a Special Experience each time with our guests, and excellent is a much better objective than Good, but thank you in any event.
Culver City IS in the center of the Westside of Los Angeles County, and therefore accessible to everything. Besides Sony (less than a 10 minute walk) the Downtown of Culver City has an array of culinary delights and entertainment options that have made it a destination.
Looking forward to your next visit.
Cresco, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Loved our three-night stay. Quiet room (#66) facing the hills, fresh continental breakfast (but why no whole wheat?), efficient and helpful staff, lovely updated bathroom, cushy beds in a large room, happy hour and music every evening, pleasant outdoor sitting area, surrounded by good restaurants and convenient to LA attractions. Chairs and lighting in our room could have been better for reading -- but when we asked for a better reading light, it was provided at once. Some of the lobby furniture could do with reupholstering, if only to live up to the really beautiful lobby itself. Kudos to Seth H and staff. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back, on higher floors, are quieter and sunny.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheHillestads
Thank you so much for the lovely review, it was a pleasure meeting you and having you stay with us.
We have a great collection of antique furniture and we will continue to strive to keep them all well maintained, it is a constant effort. Our Historic Hotel (1926) designation, combined with our recent renovation (2012) make for a wonderful combination.
See you again soon.
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed September 29, 2013

The hotel is situated in a nice area with restaurants and shops around.

The decoration is really nice, beds are very comfortable and a very good bathroom, all perfectly clean.

Service was excellent and I found the breakfast of very good quality.

There is nothing negative about this hotel !

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Cool review and excellent conciseness.
Thanks
Seth
GM
Chugiak, Alaska
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I had to come to California from Alaska for a doctor's appointment on August 29th and after much research, decided to stay at the Culver Hotel. One thing that helped me choose The Culver Hotel was not only the comments on Tripadvisor but the replies to those comments by General Manager Seth Horowitz. His replies were personal and heartfelt and not the "cookie cutter" ones that people usually get from a business.

I asked if I could have an early check-in since I would be flying into LAX around 6:45 a.m. and wouldn't know what to do with myself for seven or eight hours until usual check-in time. I called the night before I got there and asked if, when my room became available, if they could turn the air conditioner on full-blast since I am not accustomed to the heat and I would like it cold (thanks Layla!). Lucky for me, they accommodated both of my requests!

The check-in associate, David, was very nice and was a fellow "The Walking Dead" fan! When I got to the room I was amazed! It was so cozy and clean and quiet. I was able to open the windows and go to sleep with a nice breeze blowing into the room.

I hated having to leave after only one night but I hope to visit again and stay longer!

Keep up the good work!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank postfamily
Thanks for recognizing the efforts of Layla and David, the entire staff here is what makes it work and special to our guests.
See you soon.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This hotel is truly a "Grande Dame" of a bygone era, in an incredibly convenient location for LA, which also happens to be a charming neighborhood, with wonderful restaurants around it. I chose it because I was there on business for one day and it was a convenient location, with good reviews. I was literally stunned by the quality of the guest services staff, who not only emailed me options for getting to the hotel, but also worked incessantly to accomodate my business needs, before I even got there and then again, while I was there -- in every respect. Many thanks to David Hall (especially), Layla Brisco, Oscar Lara and Raquel Lopez for all of their hard work and delightful attitudes! The same could be said for the restaurant staff, the room service staff and the cleaning staff. All a breath of fresh air, especially for a business traveler. The hotel itself is a tribute to an old Hollywood sort of elegance, without (surprisingly) all of the pretention. My room -- a corner room on the 6th floor, was beautifully appointed and extremely comfortable and airy. The lobby and restaurant areas were also quite lovely. Perhaps the best part was the hospitality, which was quite genuine. The history of this old hotel has many famous movie stars as guests. I am not one of those, but I was certainly treated as such. I will return, for sure, whenever I am in LA.

Room Tip: My room was fabulous -- 6th floor corner room (#67). Large and sunny.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SMiamiDiva
Seth H, General Manager at The Culver Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Now this is why I have been in the hospitality business for soooo many years!
Thank you for recognizing the effort of David and his team. It is all about the experience and extending ourselves to provide you the service you deserve, every time.
Thank you for the wonderful review and we look forward to your next visit.

Proud General Manager of
Westside
Best Western Royal Palace Inn & Suites
Marina Del Rey Hotel
#1 of 11 in Marina del Rey

Been to The Culver Hotel? Share your experiences!