“Absolutely Beautiful!”
Review of The Culver Hotel

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Culver City
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I had to come to California from Alaska for a doctor's appointment on August 29th and after much research, decided to stay at the Culver Hotel. One thing that helped me choose The Culver Hotel was not only the comments on Tripadvisor but the replies to those comments by General Manager Seth Horowitz. His replies were personal and heartfelt and not the "cookie cutter" ones that people usually get from a business.

I asked if I could have an early check-in since I would be flying into LAX around 6:45 a.m. and wouldn't know what to do with myself for seven or eight hours until usual check-in time. I called the night before I got there and asked if, when my room became available, if they could turn the air conditioner on full-blast since I am not accustomed to the heat and I would like it cold (thanks Layla!). Lucky for me, they accommodated both of my requests!

The check-in associate, David, was very nice and was a fellow "The Walking Dead" fan! When I got to the room I was amazed! It was so cozy and clean and quiet. I was able to open the windows and go to sleep with a nice breeze blowing into the room.

I hated having to leave after only one night but I hope to visit again and stay longer!

Keep up the good work!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank postfamily
Seth H, General Manager at The Culver Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Thanks for recognizing the efforts of Layla and David, the entire staff here is what makes it work and special to our guests.
See you soon.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

This hotel is truly a "Grande Dame" of a bygone era, in an incredibly convenient location for LA, which also happens to be a charming neighborhood, with wonderful restaurants around it. I chose it because I was there on business for one day and it was a convenient location, with good reviews. I was literally stunned by the quality of the guest services staff, who not only emailed me options for getting to the hotel, but also worked incessantly to accomodate my business needs, before I even got there and then again, while I was there -- in every respect. Many thanks to David Hall (especially), Layla Brisco, Oscar Lara and Raquel Lopez for all of their hard work and delightful attitudes! The same could be said for the restaurant staff, the room service staff and the cleaning staff. All a breath of fresh air, especially for a business traveler. The hotel itself is a tribute to an old Hollywood sort of elegance, without (surprisingly) all of the pretention. My room -- a corner room on the 6th floor, was beautifully appointed and extremely comfortable and airy. The lobby and restaurant areas were also quite lovely. Perhaps the best part was the hospitality, which was quite genuine. The history of this old hotel has many famous movie stars as guests. I am not one of those, but I was certainly treated as such. I will return, for sure, whenever I am in LA.

Room Tip: My room was fabulous -- 6th floor corner room (#67). Large and sunny.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SMiamiDiva
Seth H, General Manager at The Culver Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Now this is why I have been in the hospitality business for soooo many years!
Thank you for recognizing the effort of David and his team. It is all about the experience and extending ourselves to provide you the service you deserve, every time.
Thank you for the wonderful review and we look forward to your next visit.

Proud General Manager of

Reviewed August 12, 2013

This lovingly restored/maintained hotel from a bygone era was a terrific base of operations for a family wedding in LA. What sets the place apart is the staff - they were extremely professional, helpful and friendly. The rooms are nicely appointed and not too small for such an old property. There is self park and valet available for cars and the neighborhood is wonderful with many alternative restaurants, shops and bars within walking distance. I would definitely stay at this hotel again!

Room Tip: A lower floor may be preferable as elevator wait time (for the hotel's single elevator) can be l...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Seth H, General Manager at The Culver Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Our weekend business usually comprises of a couple of wedding parties in-house. Very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. Wedding groups love our antique feel, the attention to detail and the fantastic, safe environment of Downtown Culver City.
If somebody is thinking of a wedding in Los Angeles, we do the events here as well. Need to be on the smaller side, up to 100 people, but it is gorgeous.

Thank you.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Just retuned from our first stay at the Culve Hotel.. We will be back! The hotel is absolutely beautiful and incredibly charming. The staff go out of their way to provide the best service possible. The location is great and within walking distance to tons of fun restaurants . Our room was great.. Bathroom is beautiful and furnishings are very classy and understated.. The happy hour is the best I've been to in ages .. Highly recommend this hotel.. The history and character can't be beat!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tami E

What a lovely, concise and positive review. Thank You.
After the Happy Hour, which is wonderful, we have live music in our Grand Lobby from 7:30 PM onward. It is quite a scene. Even Swing Dancing on Wednesdays.

See you again soon.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

My stay here last year was fine, but, as I noted, the hotel was undergoing renovations at the time. This last stay, however, allowed me to appreciate fully the Culver Hotel experience. The rooms are charming, the staff attentive and friendly, and the location perfect. This is very much a " boutique hotel", and you should be aware of several things: it is an older hotel with a delightfully rich history. Realize that the rooms may be smaller than in a big chain hotel. But realize, as well, that the rooms are unique and lovely and many are furnished with antiques. The breakfast is not lavish ( though you can order a larger breakfast at an added charge), but the fruit is fresh and the yogurt and granola and almonds were perfect for me. There is only one elevator, but, on my last stay, the elevator was surprisingly quick. I totally enjoyed my last stay, and I will return.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Seth H, General Manager at The Culver Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

So many places use the word "Boutique" incorrectly.
We are truly the quintessential Boutique Hotel.
Thank you for your lovely review and your continued support of our wonderful little, Historic Hotel.
See you soon.

The Culver Hotel.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We recently stayed here for a wedding and were very happy. The hotel is older but modern and has a very nostalgic feel. As other reviewers stated, the free breakfast is nothing to write home about - yogurt, bread, fruit - but there are other options if you're interested in paying.

The rooms are comfortable and spacious. When we arrived I requested to be on a higher floor because of noise reviews. We were put on the 6th floor and loved our room, however, I didn't hear any noise overall even when I was downstairs. I think it is manageable. We had a room on the street and it didn't bother us - occasional car horns but that's to be expected.

Overall while my review is not that in depth, I'm pretty picky and found this hotel charming and a great place to stay. There are tons of restaurants that we wish we were able to visit and the town was very clean and nice. Outskirts were a little rough, but the immediate area was good for a quick walk.

And again - the staff was more than helpful and very nice. We loved everyone at the front desk that helped us.

Room Tip: I heard that rooms ending in 7 are the best on any floor. We didn't get a chance to see one but...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Seth H, General Manager at The Culver Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

Much of our weekend business is accommodating family and friends with wedding parties. Being so quaint, it really does work, thank you for your lovely review.
The 7 series are in the "point" of the "Flat Iron" shape of the building, with 3 sides of windows. A small room with a Queen bed, but definitely the favorite of our regulars.

The Culver Hotel.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We recently stayed for five nights at The Culver. I agree with other reviewers, the location is great, Culver City is hopping, great restaurants and bars, hotel is "charming", staff was friendly and helpful, room was comfortable. The self-parking worked fine.

So why do I find this review difficult to write? I called the hotel to make a reservation talked with Seth. He quote me a "very good rate" for a five night stay. The next day I found a rate for $5 less a night on Orbitz. I emailed Seth and asked if he would match the rate or should I cancel and rebook on Orbitz. I never received a reply. When I checked in I mentioned that I had not received a reply and showed the front desk person the email. She said she would talk to Seth. We never received any reply and were charged the rate that was originally quoted. I resent being told I am getting a good rate and the next day finding a better rate online. I further resent the fact that no one every got back to me when I questioned the rate.

I noticed some trash on the floor next to the trash can. I figured it would be cleaned up the next day. Two days later it was still on the floor. I had a cup of tea from the in-room coffee maker. Two days later the same dirty cup was still in the room. When I made a comment to the front desk in the morning, the same dirty cup was still there after the room had been cleaned in the evening. I suspect the problem was the person cleaning our room, but cleanliness is important and we were disappointed with this aspect of our room.

One final comment on the complimentary breakfast. The first day it was fine. By the third day the three fresh breads had become one kind of bread. Nothing changes except the kind of muffin. It is OK for what it is, but it is very limited.

The Culver has a lot going for it. We had a couple of issues, that for some reason the staff was not very good at resolving. For that reason I cannot give it as glowing a review as others have.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark S
Seth H, General Manager at The Culver Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Oh dear,
Sorry Mark S,
I am searching for that email and the notes regarding your request.
You can be absolutely assured that the difference will be rebated to you. It is such a simple consideration.
Cleanliness is critical and we must pay attention to the details.
We would look at the breakfast, with our guests who stay more than a couple of days we should show some choice and change.
I do apologize for the mishap in communication and will reach out to you ASAP.
Do hope you give us another chance. We really do have a wonderful little property that we are very proud of.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Culver City
Ramada Culver City
#7 of 8 in Culver City
Marina Del Rey Hotel
#1 of 11 in Marina del Rey

Been to The Culver Hotel? Share your experiences!