“Good hotel but by highway”

Courtyard Los Angeles Westside
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Culver City
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Jose, California
“Good hotel but by highway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2010

Good quality hotel, but it is close to highway and you can hear the road noise from the room. Parking also kind of sucks with the good spots for valet and rest of the spots filled up. I'd recommend it as a good place to crash for the night in L.A. that is affordable.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2010

Room was nice, granite counter tops in bathroom, adequate shower pressure, flat screen tv, free internet, comfy bed. Good breakfast buffet with omlet bar. I stayed on the 5th floor facing the freeway and it was loud and never stopped. The air seemed to come on every hour on the hour. Between the noise of the air coming on and the freeway, I had a difficult time sleeping. The room does smell like toxic air freshener, but you get used to it. If I had to do it all over again, I would have asked for a room not facing the freeway, kept the air at a higher temp so it wouldn't have come on so often, and asked for a not so smelly room.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank WorldTraveler83B
AZ, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2010

I won this hotel on Priceline for @$87 per night. I felt I received fair value for what I paid.

The public areas are modern and clean. The staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are also very clean, and well laid out for business travelers.

Thanks to another review on Tripadvisor, I asked for a "green" room, so I didn't have any trouble with the "toxic" air freshener mentioned.

On my 3rd day I returned to my room at 4:30 PM, and my room had still not been made up. I called for housekeeping, and someone came to make up the room within 10 minutes. However, the housekeeper entered the room WITHOUT EVEN KNOCKING! She also informed me she didn't have any clean towels? She did say she would bring some when they were ready. They may have been ready or forgotten. I'm not sure since I decided to put the Do Not Disturb sign on the door to avoid any more unannounced intrusions.

All in all, this is a nice hotel for business travel.

Although Marriott titles it Westside, it's Culver City. Kind of a fringe area...not what the term Westside brings to mind when you think of LA.

Internet is free but quite spotty.

Self parking is $10 per night, but check the street, you may get lucky and find a spot.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Susanloveshotels
San Francisco
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2010

I've done 3 10-day stints at this place, and as far as cheap hotels in Culver City goes, it's the best. The desk people are nice and the windows open a crack. Hard to find a good room. The side facing the highway, you're right on top of the highway. Other rooms are above noisy exhaust fans. But having stayed there before, I know where the good rooms are, and I negotiated one this past visit. But since my previous visit the summer before, they've changed their cleaning supplies and the whole place smells of horrid sweet air freshener. In some rooms it was enough to burn my eyes. The front desk was useless. I had to have my employer call their contact person. They got me an "eco" room, which meant they put an air filter in one of the toxic rooms. It was way better. But then in the middle of my stay, some maid came in and resprayed the room. Also, they rent the place out for parties on the weekend and I had horribly loud neighbors one night. I had to sleep on a colleagues' couch in a room on another floor. For long stays and business travel, I'd be wary.

Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank Consuma
Modesto, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2010

Are staff members instructed to greet guests whenever they cross paths? Every employee I passed exchanged a pleasantry with me. "Have a nice day. Is everything going well? Let me get the door for you." I've never experienced anything like it. It was very welcoming.

We stayed in a suite for our three nights. Bedroom, living room, closet area, and bathroom were very spacious. There was a wet-bar, mini-fridge and six person dining table in the living room. Glad we didn't have to rinse out cups, etc. in the bathroom sink. Huge table wasn't necessary but it was nice to be able to spread things out. We could actually use the bedroom for just sleeping, we didn't have to leave all our stuff in there and go in and out and disturb the kids while they were sleeping.

Modern, clean-looking furniture. Not frilly/flowery. Especially liked the leather chair and ottoman.
Nice, smooth bathroom features. Bathtub liner could have been a little cleaner.
Towels and sheets were rough and white but with no stains.
No bedspread. They had a flat sheet under and another one on top of the thin comforter.
Great view of the 405, planes flying to LAX, brightly lit shopping center across the 405. Very entertaining for our pre-schoolers. Ask for a room facing front of hotel.

I was hesitant about the $10 per day parking charge but glad I did it. Very easy to find nearby parking spaces in their lot. The back lot is great -- so close to the back entrance and elevators. Very handy when moving luggage and odds and ends or running down if you forgot something in the car.

Wish breakfast had been complimentary. $14 for breakfast buffet is too much. We would have really enjoyed free breakfast buffet like they offer at other hotels. Doesn't have to be super fancy, but it's an easy way to feed the kids. So we just brought our own breakfast foods.

Wish housekeeping had made up our rollaway bed before our arrival.

Vents need to be cleaned. It was the only visibly dirty thing in the bathroom.

Bring slippers or extra socks because the CARPETS NEED TO BE CLEANED REGULARLY. Our socks were so dirty after walking around the rooms for a little awhile.

Dirty carpet is my biggest complaint. But I would definitely stay here again (esp. if they offered free breakfast.)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank K-12Teacher
Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2010

Nice hotel, comfortable. No frills. Staff was not helpful, not friendly, but not rude either.
And really... charging $10.00 for parking? This is not Downtown LA, nor is it the Ritz.
C'mon guys...

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Surfers Paradise
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2010

Always being the practical one, I simply scored an arc around Disneyland, Universal Studios and several other Los Angeles attractions and where the arcs intersected was the Courtyard by Marriott Los Angeles Westside... and a darn fine decision it was too.

The hotel is possibly favoured more by business people and conventions however we found the location to be all that we had hoped for. The hotel is adjacent to the 405 Freeway and it is an easy drive down to Disneyland or over to Universal Studios. It must be said that we had a room on the seventh floor and had no traffic noise what so ever. Should you not wish to drive, the fine gentlemen ( Rigo or Christian ) will be only too pleased to find you transport of another kind.

We decided to test our skills and took the bus to Venice Beach. One of the gentlemen behind the Bell Desk will explain how to do this however it goes something like this... catch the GREEN number 3 bus from the transit centre. The transit centre is located in the Fox Hills Westfield Mall (shopping centre). To get there, walk out the front driveway entrance of the hotel, turn left and walk up the hill passing the smaller Fox Hills shopping centre (this shopping centre will be handy upon your return as there is a liquor store amongst other things). Once you are in the Westfield mall, walk through Macy's and out into the car park and continue straight ahead for about one hundred metres. Catch the GREEN number 3 bus to Venice Boulevard, this will cost $1-40 per person. One stop before Venice Boulevard is Sony Pictures' Studios... http://www.sonypicturesstudiostours.com/.
Disembark the number 3 at Venice Boulevard and go around the corner to wait for the westbound bus (33 or 333) to Venice Beach or Santa Monica if you prefer. This will cost $1-20 ( exact change only).

We ate dinner in the hotel restaurant one night and had room service (with our own wine) on another night and found the food to be very good and not badly priced. We found the wine a little expensive for what it was.

The spar (as in, warm pool with bubbles) was delightful after a huge day at Disneyland.

All the staff kind, courteous and helpful. We enjoyed our stay very much.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
LAX Area
Holiday Inn Express Los Angeles-LAX Airport
LAX Area
Residence Inn Los Angeles LAX/Century Boulevard

Been to Courtyard Los Angeles Westside? Share your experiences!