“Wished for a better experience”

Courtyard by Marriott Los Angeles Westside
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Culver City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Let me just say...I typically love Marriott and most properties in which I've stayed have been consistent in service, responsiveness, and cleanliness. Not the case with this hotel. I give them a pass in that they were going through renovations and construction and that we were relegated to a lower level expanded conference room turned breakfast room and bar. It definitely had the feel of an Elks Lodge, but the wait staff were friendly and service-oriented. They really tried to make the best of a not-so-best situation.

I have three complaints about the hotel. 1) the cleanliness of my room level's hallway. I stayed for four nights and over two of those nights (consecutively) there were food trays with decaying food, and dirty plates and glasses left outside guests' doors. I was shocked (and disgusted) that the trays were left for 48 hours. The hotel maid service did not move them! 2) On my departing morning, I had a 6 AM flight from LAX and asked for a wake-up call as a backup to my cell alarm. The wakeup call never rang and I was told upon check-out that their phones were "on the blitz." Not sure why I wasn't told that the night before. 3) I was also told that the front desk could call a taxi for me when I checked out (it's 4:30 AM at this point) and was assured that the taxi services accepted credit cards. I got a taxi and, when I arrived at LAX, was told that it was cash only. I gave the driver my remaining cash.

I'm offering this feedback as a heads-up to Marriott. Guests, especially loyal and understanding guests (like myself) are widely generous with regard to understanding construction and slight hiccups in process. However, during those times that construction is happening, I think there is increased opportunity to "up the ante" as far as cleanliness and service.

I was disappointed with my stay at this hotel and hope that Marriott intervenes to increase the level of service that is expected with their brand.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the back are quieter. A/C units are noisy; bring earplugs.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Juan C, Asst. General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Los Angeles Westside, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your business and your feedback. I hope you give us another opportunity once our renovation is complete. I will share your concerns with my team and ensure we take care of things in a timely manner.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

Room is OK!
However, some employess at front desk have poor services.
And quality of breakfast is not enough to enjoy.
It's good to access to the airport, but a little far to reach famous attractions in the downtown.

Room Tip: Any rooms are OK! Every directions of rooms have no differences.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank 진웅 노
Juan C, Asst. General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Los Angeles Westside, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Thank You for choosing to stay with us. I apologize for not meeting you expecations. We appreciate you take a little of your time letting us know how we are doing.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

Stayed here for the LA Marathon and I could write so many things. Great service, every employee was friendly and helpful. Clean hotel that is very up to date. Great restaurant serving Starbucks! Rooms are very clean, comfortable, and give you a great warm feeling. Our room was on the street so it was a little noisy but aside from that no complaints. Rooms have coffee makers, coffee, and fridges! Free wi-fi. We got a little behind time in the race and the staff was fully understanding and let us checkout at 3:30 which is unheard of in my experiences when asking for late check outs. They do charge $20 for parking which is a bummer but that was quickly forgotten with the overall stay. Marriott definitely earned us as new repeat guests!

Room Tip: Maybe one that doesn't face the street so you have don't have to hear the traffic.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

On behalf of my team and myself we thank you for such wonderful comments. Its guest like you that make us love our jobs and what we do everyday.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

I've stayed at this hotel numerous times.mostly for business, everything has been great so far. I feel at home when I'm here, I've even got to know some of the employees personally.I was just wondering what happened to the other engineer he was very knowledgeable and very very helpful, don't quite remember his name. Sure miss him, the other engineers are ok but the other guys presence is missed.just wanted to point that out. Have a great day!

• Stayed: February 2014
Juan C, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Los Angeles Westside, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

I appreciate you taking your time to let us know how you feel. its such a nice feeling to know that we've met your expectations. The maintenance guy you probably our speaking about is Oscar and we feel the same as you we miss his presence. Hope you continue to stay with us if there is anything else I can do for you give me a call directly. I will make sure you are taken care of.

Thank you.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

Had a pleasant and quick check-in at arrival and prompt service overall. Room was on par with other Courtyards and the bed of course was very comfortable. The best part is is the location, right off the 405 and close to the Forum in Inglewood, the airport, Venice and Santa Monica. If the price is right, stay here.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Juan C, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Los Angeles Westside, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Thank you for staying with us, It is always delight to serve you. We appreciate your positive remarks. hope to see you soon once our renovation completed and enjoy our newly renovated lobby.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

From the outside, the building looks older; the hotel lobby/restaurant is currently being renovated; not sure if the rooms have gone through same process, but I thought my room looked new. No moldy/black spots in shower/bath or sink area, no collection of water spots; immaculately clean, furniture in great shape. Really liked the curved love seat instead of the traditional square sofa chair most rooms have--very L.A. Room was spacious, lots of bathroom counter space, very quiet, great Wi-Fi connection, fast room service. The two non-perfect items: dialed Room Service button on phone and both times rang at another guest's room--embarrassing, and I'm sure annoying to her! No regular coffee with room coffeemaker, but a quick jaunt down elevator to lobby and I got a fresh cup complimentary. Will definitely stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for staying with us It is always our pleasure and delight to serve you. I am very happy to hear you really enjoyed our newly renovated rooms. We appreciate your praises about our hotel. hope you come stay with us again soon and have an oppurtunity to enjoy our newly renovatated Lobby.

Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is conveniently located near the freeways, close to dining within walking distance & comfortable rooms. If you are a light sleeper simply request a room that faces away from the freeway & enjoy! The front desk staff is very lively and fun. They were very friendly, answered all my questions & were helpful in recommending things to do around the area. I travel 235 nights per year in a hotel & I disagree with the other negative reviews! Travel isn't easy on anyone, and providing a good service isn't that easy. This hotel and staff was very very good! A+++

Tracy & Lauren were running the front desk when I checked in and were exemplary of a welcoming hotel. Being a Premier member I was unable to get an upgrade due to the suites being all booked up. Not only did I receive a very sincere apology, but I was also given breakfast for all three days of my stay to apologize! #GreatService

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

I'd like to thank you for staying with us. It is always our pleasure and delight to serve you. We appreciate you taking the time and writing such positive feedback. On behalf of Lauren and Tracy I'd like to thank you for the compliments. Hope you come and stay with us again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Culver City
Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles
#62 of 355 in Los Angeles
Ramada Culver City
#7 of 8 in Culver City

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Los Angeles Westside? Share your experiences!