“Watch Out For This One”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Culver City
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Watch Out For This One”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I should begin this review by saying that the last time I stayed at this hotel, I swore I would never stay here again. I stay at about 50 different Marriott hotels a year so I sometimes forget the very few that detract from my business travel. So, here I am again.

There are positives of this hotel. It is new, has nice rooms and a good breakfast and bar area. The gym is even pretty nice, no weights beyond dumbbells but it has 5 walking/running/ridding machines. So, not bad in those departments.

The issues I continually experience at this hotel have to do with process, people and parking. The processes at this Marriot differ from others so a guy who stays at 80+ a year tends to get used to things being one way. I am not condemning all their front of the house staff, every time, but I have repeatedly been under-informed of their processes and paid with frustration and disappointment. The most frustration and confusion comes from their parking processes. This is truly ridicules.

To park and not have them lock you in the lot, forcing you to re-park and walk back into the building, you have to do the following:
• Receive your parking ticket
• Park your car
• Take that parking ticket back into the hotel and have them associate it with your room number

The issue is that no one at the front desk will tell you this, there are no signs to this effect, and no one (not me) would assume this backwards process would occur as it is counterintuitive to any advances in parking technology since the invention of the wheel.

What tends to happen is that you get your ticket, put it in your car, and when you go to leave, you find that you must re-park and go inside or they won’t even let you leave. There is a human that sits in a box at the exit that literally bars you from exit until you go back into the hotel. I can think of any number of solutions (a computer, a cell phone, telegraph, smoke freakin’ signals) the hotel can come up with easily to keep this from happening but they don’t. They chose to allow their guest the leave frustrated all because they want their $12 or whatever the parking fee is. This is VERY frustrating as you are trying to leave for an important meeting.

All that said, pretty hotel…pretty ridicules process and frustrations. There are many hotels in the area. I would consider another.

Regards,

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SerenityTrugger
Juan C, General Manager at Courtyard Los Angeles Westside, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
I first want to Thank you for choosing our hotel when you visit the area. Secondly, I want to apologize for the trouble you have been having with our parking system. We are currently working on making this process easier for our guests. We appreciate you taking the time out to inform us of your concerns and take them into consideration.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
Long Island City, New York
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Stayed 3 nights with family members (all over 21) for event at nearby Sony Studios. The staff, from the bartender to the front desk to housekeeping, couldn't have been more accommodating and friendly. Rooms were comfortable and clean, very comfortable beds. The buffet breakfast was good and not as outrageously expensive as some hotels. It was a perfect home base for our purposes.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Juan C, General Manager at Courtyard Los Angeles Westside, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay with us! We appreciate your positive fedback. It is our ultimate pleasure to be at your service and make every stay memorable.
Beverly Hills, California
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed for 6 nights while accompanying my fiance on a business trip back to our old home of LA. We picked this hotel because it was walking distance to his office.
The hotel was okay, the lobby is really pretty, secured parking, friendly staff. The hotel room was functional but dark.
The heat was a little funky- it was either really hot or cold.
The shower broke mid shower, we called down and someone came right up to fix it- within minutes.

Not sure if I would choose this hotel if I were paying for the entire trip myself, but it did the job!

Best part- DirectTV!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for recent stay with us. We apologize for the issues you had during your stay. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our property. We thank you for taking the time out to express your concerns.
Chicago
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I recently completed a short two day stay at the Westside Courtyard by Marriott. This was my third stay at the hotel so was familiar with the property. Overall, it was a good stay- the room was clean, designed nicely with updated features, and was comfortable. Typical of what I would expect at a relatively new Courtyard hotel. Its also close to the airport, as you don't even need to get on the highway in order to get there (just take Sepulveda north from the rental car agencies).

There are a few things to note though, that were based upon when I stayed in mid-December. First, the directions from the airport didnt work. The street the hotel is on (making a right when heading North on Sepulveda) is closed. There is some construction going on by the freeway, no sign or anything. This caused an issue when driving late at night and trying to find the hotel. Also, when arriving in the room after midnight, quickly noticed not only the highway (not terribly noisy but would certainly request a room facing the other direction), but also the heavy jackhammering going on in the construction site directly in front of the hotel and under the highway). Had to switch rooms as I am sure this would have been going on all night (it was nearly 1am at the time).

Despite the issues I would consider staying there again due to the convenience from the airport and the fact that many of the Courtward properties in LA are relatively dated and somewhat run down.

Room Tip: This hotel does have a limited room service menu for breakfast. Reserve or ask for a room on the op...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Juan C, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard Los Angeles Westside, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay with us. We apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced prior and during your stay. We value your opinion and take your comments into consideration for future improvements.
Lake City, Florida
Reviewed November 27, 2012

The staff was great and very accommodating. The room was quite comfortable and what I would expect from a Courtyard. The hotel had a restaurant and served room service. Although I never used either. There is a parking fee. I believe it was $12.00 daily, but that's almost to be expected in this part of the L.A. area. There's isn't an abundance of parking.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Juan C, General Manager at Courtyard Los Angeles Westside, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
On behalf of my staff and I would like to thank you for staying with us. It is our pleasure and delight to have you as a guest. Your comments and positive feedback is greatly appreciated.
Bristol
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Close to LAX and a short cab ride away. I stayed for a conference so had minimal travelling to do from here.
Friendly staff at front desk on arrival and short check-in process. Room allocated was 7th floor facing the 405 freeway. Room spacious enough, TV, complimentary wifi, comfortable bed.
Shower always had hot water and reasonable size.
Room temperature required the cool setting from the air conditioner due to temps around 80F which was a bit noisy to sleep with it on.
Noise from the freeway was more background hum rather than noise to disrupt sleep - if you are from a city you probably wouldn't notice it.
Breakfast was reasonably priced and fair selection available. Dinner menu quite small but useful for late arrivals - I had one meal that was good value for money and tasty - better quality than I expected.
The bar has reasonable selection of beers and drinks although they could have a happy hour considering the clientele to keep them drinking in the hotel for a while longer. Draft beer selection could have been a bit better (perhaps just my taste?)
Staff were all very friendly and helpful with any query or advice you requested.
It seems the location / name of hotel is not that well known as the taxi I took from Santa Monica didn't know the hotel but luckily I had a hotel card with code for his GPS which brought me to my destination!
Good value overall if a little remote from most places and required a car to get around.

Room Tip: Room not over-looking freeway should be quieter
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Juan C, General Manager at Courtyard Los Angeles Westside, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to write about our hotel and thank you for the positive feedback. It is our pleasure and delight to be of service to you.
Yucaipa
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed at Courtyard Marriot Los Angeles Westside for a 2-day training instructor workshop. The staff were great, very courteous and prompt to make sure our meeting room had waht we needed. Rooms were nice. Good for business travels!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank 911safety
jccuevas, General Manager at Courtyard Los Angeles Westside, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thanks for the compliments we appreciate you staying with us and give us the opportunity serve you. Hope you stay with us again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Culver City
Travelodge Culver City
#4 of 8 in Culver City
Westside
Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - LAX Airport
Extended Stay America - Los Ange...
#213 of 351 in Los Angeles
LAX Area
Residence Inn Los Angeles LAX/Century Boulevard

Been to Courtyard Los Angeles Westside? Share your experiences!