“Fantastic menu, well priced and fun”
Review of Ford's Filling Station - CLOSED

Ford's Filling Station
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Watseka & Washington Blvd
Description: Fill all your senses at Ford"s Filling Station - LA's first and finest Gastropub - where the atmosphere is relaxed yet often bustling. Comfortable seating areas with warm walnut surfaces and Asian rugs create a charming intimacy amidst an informal setting. The patios are intimate, for private parties, and offer a soothing contrast to our energetic main room, which features wood-beamed ceilings, brick, polished concrete floors and an open kitchen. Machine-age lamps accent the wooden bar while large celestial chandeliers create a ceiling of soft light. Our dedication to craft is evident in the American Regional Menu, which is rustic, simple and innovative, yet familiar. The seasonal menu emphasizes flavor in exciting, uncomplicated combinations and in keeping with Chef Ford's earthy palate.
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We decided on lunch at Ben Ford's restaurant after a tour of Sony Studios (the tour is recommended, btw). Service was exceptional, outdoor patio was fun but mostly the food was terrific. We started with the Pig Ear appetizer (try it ... tasty, spicy and crisp strips). For our main courses we had Skillet Fried Chicken with the best ham hock risotto around. We also had Huevos Rancheros with perfectly cooked eggs and a tasty chili sauce. Unfortunately, not a true green chile, which was disappointing. Lastly, we had fish and chips with crisp/juicy onion rings, home made french fries and deep fried asparagus spears. It includes a refreshing small salad as well.

It's nice to see that the owner is not riding on the shirttails of his father's fame, but is a creative chef with good business sense. Don't leave Culver City without trying this place.

There are newer reviews for Ford's Filling Station

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We've eaten at Ford's 3 times -- the first time we ate there, the service was pretty efficient, waiter was very friendly and smiley, and it was fairly crowded at that time. All seats outside, and inside were pretty much filled. We didn't go back for a long time because there was nothing over the top about the food. The 2nd and 3rd times we went back, both times were on the weekend, in between the rush when it wasn't crowded at all, and this is when the service was slightly disappointing. Because it wasn't crowded, it seemed like the person that served us was also the bartender and was often distracted that they rarely came around to our table to see if we needed anything. If I needed a refill on a drink, or even the bill, I had to get up from the table and walk to the bar to request what I wanted. This was less than satisfactory. The food was OK - it wasn't amazing, and definitely not worth the mediocre service. We ordered the burger, brussel spouts, the Boston salad and chic pea appetizer. I sent the chick pea appetizer back since you actually had to chew the chic pea out of its shell, which was annoying to do and hardly anything came out of it that you couldn't even taste it. I wish we were informed of how it was served before I ordered it, but luckily, they did not charge us for it.

Ford's wasn't a terrible place, and like I said, the ambience was decent, but I'm thinking that, unless none of the other restaurants on that strip are opened, I won't be going back to Ford's anytime soon because the service isn't worth the quality of food.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Our party included three children and four adults. There was something for everyone. The service was attentive but not overbearing. The food was really good and a good value for Los Angeles.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Did an early lunch and must say service was good (not busy at 11:30 am); ordered fried chickpeas that were fresh garbanzo beans and slipped out of the fried shell as good as roasted edamame, probably best item ordered. I ordered the fried chicken, which came with a ham hock risotto which was creamy and best thing on the plate. The chicken turned put to be a boneless chicken breast pounded very thin and fried, and my idea of good fried chicken is chicken bone in and at least a piece of breast, and thigh or drum stick. The pounded chicken was dry and over cooked and the coating dense and added nothing. Finally there was a rather unappealing salad that was visually dark wilted leaves that tasted rather bitter and no detectable dressing flavor. My lunch partner ordered the fish and chips, there were only two pieces of not very large size. Fish was cooked well and batter coating was decent but had very bland taste and needed a nice sauce. The accompanying tartar sauce (which I presume was house made) not very tasty and missed the mark. Requested side of cocktail sauce that had a nice horseradish kick much better. Sorry, but given some of the good reviews this place has received, this lunch was way off. For a filling station this place lacks the premium grade.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

We had a late lunch here. The food was very flavorful. The service was friendly though they disappeared near the end of our meal when I needed a water refill. We had the bacon wrapped figs for an appetizer... twice. They were so good even our near vegan son recommended them. I'd love to go back again.