“Great food and not bad prices”
Review of Ugo Cafe

Ugo Cafe
Ranked #106 of 321 Restaurants in Culver City
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We were hunting for a restaurant with good food where we didn't have to wait for an hour to get in. Unlike all of the other restaurants along the road we were able to get a table at Ugo right away, probably because they had more seating area than some of the other restaurants. They had an extensive menu with lots of Italian selections. All of us were happy with our meals. I had the butternut squash ravioli which was the special of the day and it was absolutely superb! It was covered in a mild white sauce and had bits of chopped up asparagus to make it more interesting. Others at the table had the Neopolitan pizza and the sample I had was also quite tasty. My wife had a panini and wasn't totally satisfied. I guess the bread wasn't so great. Highly recommend this place for the pasta dishes. We sat at a table outside under a heater and were perfectly comfortable in shirt sleeves despite the 55 deg weather. The waitress we had was very helpful and helped us choose our dishes. I would definitely go back.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

For a foody twist on pizza to a taste topping pasta, UGO's combines an Italian/Armenian I don't know what else kind of fusion to a very up and coming sidewalk café lovers paradise in downtown culver city. Brand new and already booming every night, this open to air café makes you feel like you're out on a date yet doesn't play hanky panky with your wallet. I have frequented this lovely little spot twice and both times was greeted by the owner which always makes you feel nice. The showpiece if you will is their bar/wine room in the back. Try it, you'll thank me. Why not enjoy a sweet treat from either of their showcases up front before you leave. Word has it that the back room wine bar is an excellent location for wedding receptions and the like.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Walked here from our hotel and enjoyed an espresso and gelato one sunny afternoon. Sidewalk seating was lovely and the staff quite friendly. Will try dinner next time.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

This used to be an excellent neighborhood trattoria. There were 2 separate restaurants. Both good -- fare was light, healthy, still hearty and inexpensive. Service super friendly and everyone like family. The owner's dream was to unite the two restaurants -- finally when the city allowed him to do so, he has created a beautiful restaurant. But at the same time he's created a completely different restaurant. Whereas the old one was homey, this one errs a bit towards pretentiousness. Whereas the old one had lighter, healthier fare; the new one is all about cream. None of the old items are on the menu. Service is friendly and attentive but still forgetful. Whereas the old restaurant was flexible, the new one is not -- and the chef seems a bit precious about his dishes. Great pizza. Great patisserie. But whereas the old one had a uniqueness, this is just one more LA overpriced Italian. Great location though and great outdoor seating. The manager is fantastic and smart. My opinion -- rethink the menu a bit. Just too heavy. And the salads -- no thanks.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Great location in Culver City across from historic Culver hotel. Nearby parking garage is crowded but very accessible and reasonably priced.

Wine selection was not up to my or my dining partner's taste. No Malbec or Rieslings. Pinot Noir was not to my liking. Lobster ravioli (which all three of us ordered) was fishy and not of high quality. None of us finished our dishes. Would stick to basic pasta and sauce dish next time. Very noisy and could not carry on conversation well. Would have tried the Caprese salad but they use roma instead of heirloom tomatoes. Colleague did not like the mesclun green salad. Pretty but not tasty. Did not give desserts a try although they looked like what the restaurant might be best known for given the display cases and gelato.