“great mexican restaurant in Culver City”
Review of Kayndaves

Kayndaves
Ranked #36 of 323 Restaurants in Culver City
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Reviewed February 19, 2012

This restaurant is quite great : the food is very good, the cocktails too (and they've a different happy every day), the service is great (they take care of you, don't push you, they are here to help you without being here). you can go there with friends or your familly. it's in a district full of restaurant but this cantina worthes the visit. there is a parking behind it (maybe too small) and it is not too far from the sony studio... a trully grat place to try

Reviewed January 27, 2012

I am a native southern californian, born and raised in Venice. I was eating Mexican food long before it became the "thing to do". The other night I had, probably, one of the finest Mexican dinners I have ever had. It reminded me of a restaurant I went to forty years ago, now long gone. That was Senor Pico in Century City. The dinner at Kay N Dave's was unique. There are only a few places where you can get cactus salad, one of my favorites. Along with that I had the tacos el pastor, which were perfect, with just the right amount of fire in the spice used on the chicken. Without boring you, everything was perfect, even the margarita. One more thing. The service was unbelievable. Our water glasses were never empty and I counted at least four different servers who came to our table to make sure everything was okay.

Reviewed November 29, 2011

I find myself going to Kay 'n Dave's again and again. In fact, I've held parties on their patio once a year for the last five years, and intend to keep doing so.

It's no gourmet restaurant, but the food is good, the prices are more than fair, the service is friendly and it is simply a comfortable place to be.

Kay 'n Dave's serves a lighter version of Mexican food, although the portions are large enough that you certainly won't go hungry. Recently, they seem to have added some upscale items, including ceviche.

1  Thank Eastonlow
Reviewed September 30, 2011

I went on a Thursday night around 7pm with my teenage daughter and we sat inside because it was a bit chilly out and I don't like breathing the car fumes that much since it is right next to the road, but my biggest complaint is that the place is dark. the lighting is so dim and the tiny candles (1 per table) flicker constantly and don't shed any light to help you read the menu. I mentioned to the waiter that I couldn't see the menu (which is quite large but with smallish print) and he offered to bring over another tiny candle and have me hold it, which would have just burnt my fingers. I heard the couple at the table next to us say "I can't see the menu" as well. This also means that you can't really see what you are eating, which makes me uncomfortable. The service was also slow and inacurrate and the place wasn't that crowded. The salsa they bring is good but too spicy for my daughter so early on, I asked if they could bring some pico de gallo, but they did not bring it and no one came to check on us for about 20 minutes and then our food I rrived and I reminded them and it took another 10 min to get some which we didn't really want at that point anymore. The food was fine and the black beans especially delicious. Perhaps I'll return in the daylight and order something different. I did not like my salmon and spinach enciladas because there was too much cheese and not enough spinach, and I did not like the flavor of the cheese at all.

Reviewed August 18, 2011

The margaritas are good and the prices are definitely reasonable, though my food was just teetering on the good side of average. The outside seating is nice though and it's a fun place to kick off an evening. While I thought that the blended strawberry margarita was delish, the jalapeno margarita was definitely NOT my favorite!