Open today: 12:00 PM - 6:00 PM

from $25.00
from $135.00
from $145.00
More Info
All reviews tea room cookies rooftop garden soviet space second floor venice blvd natural history trailer park on display front door a joke oddities cabinet upstairs dogs exhibits science
Selected filters
Reviewed January 8, 2016 via mobile

I read up on the museum before I visited. This is an incredibly unique museum that I'd recommend to all. It had amazing microscopic artworks, bizarre beliefs (e.g. eating a mouse pie would stop kids from bed wetting... or was that the mouse sandwich?), cat's cradle string figures, beautiful smoking pipe collection...just to name a few.

I took public transport travelling from Orange County on 2 buses and a MetroLink. 3 hours in total each way costing ~$22...learning about the public transport in LA. There are bus stops directly in front of the museum as detailed on their website. Google maps helped get me there.

The museum seems small from the outside but there's plenty to see. Staff estimated that it would take 1 hour to go through the museum but I took my time going each exhibit, reading, watching and listening to a lot of information; leaving after ~3 hours.

It is dark and eery. Some exhibits take a while to understand how they work (e.g. the Delani exhibit requires you to press start as it lights up photos one by one clockwise). Some other exhibits have videos played in loops. There were a handful that I just didn't understand or "see".

A little disappointed that several audios were not working, like the exhibit about the bat that can fly through solid objects. Unfortunately I had to read about it on the website. There were some that were not available for various reasons. It was also difficult to hear audio of some videos due to low volumes or distracting locations etc.

Either way a unique museum of oddities and curiosities for sure!!

Date of experience: January 2016
1  Thank WatsonAU
Reviewed December 28, 2015

Such a lovely house filled with charming nooks to reflect on the obscure works of philosophers and thinkers from the 17th century and beyond. The pigeon coop on the roof is truly divine.

Reviewed December 28, 2015

We asked our LA-based friends which local museum was most unique and they took us here. This place is both a museum and an art project. It is often difficult to tell what is real and what is surreal. For example, there is an exhibit on the Russian rocket pioneer, Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, next door to an exhibit on variations of cat's cradle. My favorite was a room of bizarre letters sent to the astronomers at Mount Wilson Observatory. If you go, be prepared for a weird and wonderful experience. Oh, and don't miss the tea service on the second floor.

Reviewed December 21, 2015 via mobile

We went here on a Sunday afternoon. The museum is a few doors down from In n Out. The museum does not have parking, but you can park on the streets around the museum. We parked right in front of In n Out. The museum can seem small when you come in, but it is arranged in a way that actually makes the museum big. The lights are dimmed down, so take your time in the lobby so that your eyes adjust and you can enjoy the beginning of the museum. Please watch the video right next to the shop. Many people don't understand what the museum is about, but if you watch the 5 minute video, you will be able to appreciate the museum better. It tells you the why of the exhibits. We had a lovely time and our kids (12 and 9) really enjoyed the museum. Don't miss the 2nd floor, they have a tea room (free tea) and a bird garden along with really great exhibits.

Reviewed December 21, 2015

This was my second visit and my wife's first. I've never known how to describe this museum. It is odd by normal museum standards. I really just tell people that they have to visit themselves to understand. It is a physically small museum crammed full of mostly small exhibits in small room and corridors. It is two-story (half the building) with a rooftop tea garden on the other half.

I can't describe the exhibits. The museum takes everything seriously although some of the exhibits seem insignificant. One room is filled with models of early trailer parks. An exhibit covers superstitions and wifes' tales. There is an exhibit on Russian space dogs and another of scientific discovery. Most of the exhibits seem believable, but I suspect some are tongue-in-cheek contrivances.

I don't visit the museum to learn scientific facts, I go to think.

Date of experience: November 2015