“Just needs a jukebox.”
Review of Tom's Place Resort

Tom's Place Resort
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Crowley Lake
Tom's Place Resort
San Francisco
“Just needs a jukebox.”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I love Tom's place. The location is gorgeous -- right between Bishop and Mammoth, convenient to amazing hiking and fishing. It has cabins, rooms in a main house, a cafe, bar and general store. I also love the fact that Tom's Place is listed on the freeway signs as though it were its own town, and it feels like a little town. And it's been around forever, a lot of history.

But here's the thing. That bar needs a pool table. Or a dartboard. Or SOMETHING. Because at the end of the day, you're staying in an isolated little place, 25 miles away from the nearest actual town. And your room, at least if you're in the main lodge across the street, sucks real hard. It is small, and dingy, and there is no TV or space to move around. So you're not spending any more time in that room than you have to. Luckily, there's a bar across the street, but you're going to start wishing that bar had some games. Or a jukebox. SOMETHING. The staff is great, the food at the cafe is great, the people who stay there or stop by there are fun...but all I can say is that a pool table would make this place easier to recommend. I would have dropped so much money in that bar if it had darts. As it is, I just went to bed early and wondered if maybe I should have stayed in Bishop...

Room Tip: Find out if your 'cabin' is inside that main building or a stand-alone. I think the stand-al...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank KHGSanFrancisco

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have a travel trailer and satisfactorily stayed a night at McGee's Campground. We decided to head to Tom's Place Cafe to have dinner. We stood by the door for 5-7minutes while the waitresses continued to walk by without acknowledging us, and finally we were told we could sit anywhere. After another 20-30 minutes, the waitresses (two) walked by attending to other tables, but never acknowledged us by either making eye contact or speaking to us. They rushed around taking care of the other patrons, but for some reason ignored us. We ended up walking out. We did this slowly, thinking they would explain that they were busy or SOMETHING! However, they just let us walk out. I have not been so embarrassed/humiliated to think we were not good enough to serve. In case you were wondering...my husband and I have good hygiene and are well mannered. He is a light Italian, while I am half Philipino half Irish. I pray that I was not the reason for this treatment. :(

• Stayed June 2013
9 Thank AnnaMichelle33

Travelers are raving about these Crowley Lake hotels

orange county
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We always make it a point to stop at Tom's Place when we are in the area. They have the best breakfast ever. I ordered a giant omlet with the works and hashbrowns, it was enough for two meals. I love this place, reminds me of the kind of cafes that were popular in the old days. I guess it should, having been around since 1917. They also have a small bar and store and cabins for rent. I must try the cabins some day, this is a great location for those who enjoy the outdoors. After breakfast be sure to take a short 10 mile drive up to Rock Creek Lake, it's worth the drive.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Florida
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My reservation was made by a friend, so I had no idea what to expect. The Ritz Carlton, this is not. It IS rustic, but my little cabin had been renovated in this century, and had VERY hot water, clean linens, and full kitchen. As long as I could sleep, shower, and make coffee in the morning I was happy. I spent ten nights in Cabin "0".

One of my traveling companions had a room in the lodge, which she referred to as "Animal House." She had difficulty sleeping on account of the thin walls, and other guests partying all night. During the week was not so bad, but the weekends were tough for getting any sleep.

The second of my companions was assigned a tiny, very "rustic" cabin that had not been renovated since the place was built. The management told her that they'd had guests who refused to stay in it. This gal lives in Alaska and trains sled dogs, so it's my guess that she's stayed in "less luxurious" digs in the past. If nothing else, she gets extra points for sportsmanship.

The staff was pleasant and helpful, the store had some nice surprises (like a nice wine selection), the bar was always busy, and the food in the cafe was plentiful and very reasonably priced.

Tom's must have changed ownership since the bad reviews in 2011. I would stay there again, bu only if I could request my previous little cabin.

Room Tip: Request a cabin if you plan on sleeping.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank nancyrcurtis
San Diego, California
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We live in San Diego and Tom’s place is our tradition for lunch as we begin our trek home from Hot Creek. Great burgers, chili and about anything you want from a diner/dive. Fun atmosphere and a step back to better days.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I have been coming here since I was a young boy. Great restaurant ( excellent meals )
Biscuits & gravy, country fried steak, hot cakes. Etc. Can not compare to others. There is a reason why all locals eat here daily. The bar is small but very cool. Fun at night if u stay there or local camping.
Small store w everything u might need or forgot at home.
Cabins and dorm rooms are Great options for more rustic fishing and ski trips. It's not the fancy resort, It's a history rich place. Great location for everything. No pool or hot tub here,but locals might tell u where u can find the natural hot springs and pools are.

Owners & staff are awesome .

• Stayed August 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Tom's Place restaurant is a setting like an old log cabin, facing the front, right hand side is a grocery store, then a bar for coctails and then a restaurant. I have never stayed in the cabins though I have heard there is a history of generations returning to this rustic setting. The restaurant is American Cuisine with some Hispanic meals offered. Reasonable, family oriented and if not to hungry share a meal with a traveling companion.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
#10 of 31 in Mammoth Lakes
Tamarack Lodge and Resort
Tamarack Lodge and Resort
#6 of 31 in Mammoth Lakes

Been to Tom's Place Resort? Share your experiences!