“Rustic, quaint yet comfortable, price was reasonable” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tom's Place Resort

Tom's Place Resort
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Crowley Lake
Tom's Place Resort
Los Angeles, CA
“Rustic, quaint yet comfortable, price was reasonable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2011

We stayed labor day weekend, and spent the majority of the time at Rock Creek Lake.
The people were friendly, the rooms were small, but comfortable. We might have gotten a larger place, with more amenities in Bishop or Mammoth, but the price was higher, and we still had to pay for more gas either coming up the hill or going down.

Tom's place was established in 1917, so this is not Howard Johnson. There's a nice cafe, and small market, that had a lot of what we forgot to bring. We enjoyed it and would definitely come back.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2011

I am a hotel snob and frequently stay as a comped guest in some of Vegas' finest hotels. I stayed 1 night at Toms place a couple weeks ago and it was definitely an interesting adventure! I just rolled with it and kept a fun attitude about it! The lodge is a little "Bates Motel-ish" but overall cute and quaint. The night was relatively quiet which was good. The cafe food was good and BUSY. This place is definitely a hotspot! Service overall was pretty friendly as well. The low star score is based on the price of the room which was RIDICULOUS! $75 for a 10 X 10 room with a leaky bathroom is insane. But again, all about the adventure!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
6 Thank RiverBrat96
Orange County
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

I can't believe that I paid $90 for 1 night. First off the employees are extremely rude and rushed with checking you in. They are cranky and old and you can tell that they hate their job. The rooms smell musty and dirty and full of Dust.
The worst thing of all is that my daughter got eaten alive with bed bugs. When we reported it, they told us they were mosquitoes, however we saw the little critters and they were BED BUGS. I don't believe that the linen had been changed either as there were spots and stains on the sheets.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank T U

Travelers are raving about these Crowley Lake hotels

Bakersfield, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

We stayed a French Camp. Needed some supplies and the lady that was working behind the counter. I believe her name was Sharell she was very rude to me. My husband is white and when he walked in first she was nice and said hello. I am Hispanic and walked in and said
hello she looked at me with an ugly
look and didn't say nothing back. I
know she heard me too. I noticed
she watched me like a hawk. I don't
think she knew we were together
until we paid. Once more I said
hello just to see if it was just me
being crazy but than added how are
you? With a rude voice she said is
that? I told my husband I refuse to go back to that store we drove 5 miles further to get our supplies. We always go camping here and been to Tom's Place many times in the past and theirs was always friendly people working I will never walk back into that store
again. NEVER!

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank dianaham1
Fontana, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2011

I read all the reviews before we went and to be honest. was worried. I went to the dr and got asthma medicene for the mold - I am highly allergic, and I didnt need once. I didnt see or smell any mold. I also didnt see anything that was in need of repair and windows were not missing caulking. The room would look a lot better if it was remodeled but it wasnt dirty it just looked old. I did however bring a small space heater and that was an essential as the walls have little or no insulation and the heater in the room couldnt keep up with the cold weather outside. The room was small and very basic but I knew when we booked at such a cheap price there would be no frills. It was just like staying at someones cabin. No coffee in the room, that was a bummer. I did bring my laptop tho so we had movies to watch at night. There was a general store, restaurant, and bar which fit our needs. The food at the restaurant was actually very good. My 2-yr old enjoyed the spaghetti as well as the fun atmosphere of the restuarant. It was a really neat experience and I thought it was a great weekend. It was beautiful outside with the recent snow fall and not a super far drive to mammoth. I would stay at this place again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank shanna99
Pismo Beach, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2010

Called in around 5pm on a Friday night & they said they had rooms available for the weekend. Northbound 395 w/ headwinds, snow storm and burrrr, 26 degrees. I arrived shortly after midnight to a rustic (or more like rundown) lodge halfway between Bishop & Mammoth. No one awake to check me in, so they had my name taped to the front door room w/ my room number. I wouldn't have minded this so much, but I am a female traveling solo.

My downstairs room was very small and it had NO electricity or NO heat, due to a blown circuit breaker, so I went looking for any employee to help and no one could be found. No 'in case of emergency' contact info or sign posted; No one at the cafe or bar, nada, no one, nothing. Luckily I had my zero degree sleeping bag & flashlights ready. (I always travel with my camping gear.)

The next morning I woke around dawn to a 35 degree room, so I took a shower to warm myself up -- but without a hair drier (or electricity for that matter) there was no way for me to dry off warmly. Lodge room & bathroom were so moldy that I had an asthma attack shortly afterward I got outta the shower.

No one at the cafe in the wee hours of the morning, so I drove around in my car for 3 hours - with the heater full blast trying to dry off and get warm. I do frequent rustic lodges and cabins all the time while traveling - and sadly, this was by far my worst hotel experience ever.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank danamite
Pendleton, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2010

Stayed at the lodge - we were supposed to have a queen bed but I think it was only a full, the room was tiny and so was the bathroom - barely enough room to turn around. I would call it quaint to be nice. No TV in the room or in the fire place room. No big deal, but there was also no wood to make a fire which would've been nice. We instead played checkers to pass the time. Ate at the restaurant across the street which makes decent food. But the guy behind the counter at the store who booked us the room was very rude to us. We'll go elsewhere next time.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
#9 of 31 in Mammoth Lakes
Convict Lake Resort
Convict Lake Resort
#2 of 53 in Mammoth Lakes

Been to Tom's Place Resort? Share your experiences!