Camp Layman
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Cromberg
See available hotels
Gold Lake Lodge(Graeagle)
  • Free Internet
Sierra Motel(Portola)
Lariat Lodge(Quincy)
Ada's Place(Quincy)
View Hotel
All reviewsfresh airfeather riverpine treesdanforest
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 17, 2009

My mother, sister and I took a mother/daugher/grandchildren trip last summer. My mother grew up coming to the area to her grandparents cabin. (My fathers parents had a cabin in the area also.) So the area is VERY special to our family. The family cabins have long been sold and large monster houses built in their places. But we wanted to contine getting our fill each summer of the amazing pine air, blue, blue skies, and clean air. My sister and I are so determined to make the area as special in the hearts of our children as it was and is to us.
So last summer we began to plan a trip. But where to stay?? We wanted a cabin, and after much searching we decided on Layman Resort. We were so glad we did! The owners were so kind and friendly! They welcomed us warmly. ((WE STAYED HERE AFTER READING THE HORRIBLE REVIEW ON THIS SITE. I SIMPLY CHOSE TO MAKE UP MY OWN MIND.)) We enjoyed the peace and quiet, and nightly campfire, and the time to detox from the fast paced real world! (No cell service here!) The owner was so nice and offered for us to use the office phone anytime. I took him up on it once or twice to call my hubby who was unable to join us.
Our two oldest kids ages 8 and 4 thououghly enjoyed the play area, skipping rocks at the rivers edge, and exploring all over the camp. BRING your kids here by all means! Detox them from their video games, and TV!!!! They will be using their imaginations from the time they step out the car door! Trust me... :)

Overall, I want to say that these cabins are very old and very rustic. But they are clean, and the place is loved by many...despite it's little imperfections.
If you are planning to be in **our** lovely mountians this summer, please consider staying here!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank jereca74
Reviewed July 7, 2008

If you're expecting to be pampered and stay at the Ritz, this IS NOT your place. If however, you want something with rustic charm, and very basic amenties this is your place. There are 10 cabins and the feel is that of an older cabin with its own charm. The floors have settled a bit, the kitchen and bathroom are small and quaint like something you'd expect in an isolated cabin in the woods that was built in a year gone by. But as I said that's a big part of the charm.

The setting is absolutely beautiful with close access to the towns of Blairsden and Graeagle.

The owners are extremely friendly, nice and helpful. Other guests were very friendly and many had been returning for years.

Rustic, yes! Great memories yes! Our teenagers were not impressed, but my wife and I will definately return for a getaway.

Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed July 6, 2008

I've been going there for 36 years, and it remains our favorite family vacation spot. I call it "lazy man's camping", as you are alongside the Feather River in the Plumas National Forest, but the rustic cabins come equiped with hot/cold running water, bathroom/shower, beds, towels/linens, refrigerator, stove, cooking utensils/plates. Fishing is great; just a 100 yard walk below the cabins, or you can venture 1/4 mile downstream to the 'swimming hole'; other great fishing opportunities at nearby Jamison Creek also. Endless hiking opportunities. Many lakes nearby; many accomidate swimming; others have boat rentals; small pond nearby has small raft/paddle-boat rentals. This place is for the outdoorsman of all ages who enjoys nature.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank JeffryO
Reviewed August 13, 2007

I have been going here since I was a baby, sure its rustic but you would be too if you were over 100 years old. This place is a quiet place to stay with the train tracks about 300 yards away. the trains aren't a real bother either you can take several trails to the river some are a little challenging for the little ones but im sure you could manage. If you are a YUPPIE or a high roller this is not the place for you, but if you like a nice quiet and friendly place to stay this is the one!!!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ovfd94
Reviewed July 30, 2007

This place hasn't had any up keep since the 1970's.
The roofs leak. They have an illegal dump on the property.
Forget this place.

• Stayed: July 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)