“Good, but...”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 2, 2011

We first learned of the Loading Chute after reading a magazine article on where the local vintners dine in the Paso Robles area. The reviews here and on other sites convinced us it was a place not to miss. Now that we've dined there? Well, let me say it was quite good, but great is not a term I would use by any stretch of the imagination. It's probably as good a $25 steak as you can get, but would it even come close to reviling a good steakhouse? No chance. In fact, I can honestly say I've had as good a steak at the Cheesecake Factory of all places. This is not to say we did not enjoy ourselves, and it was kind of a fun throw back to dining in the 50's and 60's. The drive out from PR was also beautiful. But the bottom line? You will enjoy it if you show up expecting a good, basic, solid meal at a fair price, but you'll be disappointed if you show up expecting anything more.

3  Thank Biggerunn

Reviewed May 1, 2011

I've been going to the Loading Chute since I moved here in 2007. I have also directed many visitors and houseguests to this local haunt. Quantities are large, quality is excellent, prices are fair, service is great. I prefer dinner, but lunch is excellent, as well. Couldn't ask for much more...and all my friends and guests have felt the same. Don't eat too much of their amazing bread before your dinner arrives!

1  Thank yolyfe1215
Reviewed March 8, 2011

This was our 4th visit over as many years as we live in a different state. Prime rib is outstanding- everything you've ever wanted in a prime rib dinner. Veggies and fries were excellent as was the homemade bread and the crisp fresh salad. Never have had room for dessert. Service was efficient and very friendly. Atmosphere homey and very clean. Feels like a neighborhood central gathering place with many families dining. A little out of the way, but always worth the drive. A hidden gem off the beaten track.

Reviewed September 5, 2010

I had the "Prime and Shrimp" special. It came with 12oz piece of prime rib, a skewer of shrimp, a baked potato, bake veggies and a bowl of chicken noodle soup. To be honest, I haven't had a better piece of prime rib in years. The shrimp were top notch and the chicken noodle soup was amazing. I was very satisfied. As far as atmosphere goes, it's as country dinner as it gets. Planked wooden sidewalls, hardwood floors and bench seats. The service was good. I never had to wait more than a couple of minutes for some of the help to come by. The biggest draw back is the prices. The good stuff is all $30 and up. You get what you pay for though. All and all, I thought it was top notch.

Reviewed September 22, 2009

My boyfriend and I were visiting the town of Paso Robles as well as some of the local wineries. At one of the wineries, we asked the person pouring our wine to recommend a restaurant that served tasty steak entrees at moderate prices. She suggested the Loading Chute and stated that this restaurant was located in a very small town nearby called Creston. She said that other than the restaurant, this town didn't have much to offer in the way of entertainment (besides the restaurant, there is only a bar and post office in this town). So we decided to try out this place. The steaks that we ordered were absolutely delicious . . . very tender and juicy . . . and the salads were fresh and crispy. I would most definitely recommend this out of the way restaurant to adventurous individuals looking for great steaks at value prices.