“Good food and good service”

The Bear House Family Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 19 Restaurants in Crestline
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Overall very good food and service. Nothing stands out but the food (breakfast) and portion sizes were good.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

When I moved up to Crestline this past January, I was originally warned to stay away from this place. It had only recently changed over to being The Bear House Family Restaurant from the Loose Caboose and, according to some people I know, might have been having a rocky start. However, seeing that they had trout on the menu was only going to keep me from trying this place for so long because that is a favorite of the little woman. Now that I have been here several times, it makes me wish I had held off on some of my other reviews for restaurants in this area because The Bear House is now my overall favorite place to eat in Crestline for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

While by no means fancy and still retaining some of the previous railroad decor, you will feel welcome and comfortable here right off the bat. The service is friendly without being overbearing and they'll be glad to take care of pretty much any request. Seating is worn but comfortable. There is a nice selection of beers (including on tap) as well as wine. For dinner, there are rotating specials to look over in addition to what is on the menu. Especially for the San Bernardino Mountain Communities, the prices are very reasonable.

On our first visit, my sweetie did indeed have the trout and it was perfect. I had a shrimp and garlic dish with a Mexican flare and it too was extremely good. On our several breakfast trips, they start you with a good cup of coffee, eggs are cooked perfectly, biscuits and gravy are solid, they make a better quality waffle than the fancy place over in Lake Arrowhead, and they serve real slices of high-quality bacon (none of that micro-sliced bacon here!). Everything we have had here has been just right and I always leave my compliments to the chef.

There are a lot of good places to eat on this side of the mountains and my reviews reflect that. I try to spread out my visits because they are all good in their own way. That being said, when push comes to shove, I go to The Bear House.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stopped by on our second day visiting Crestline and their breakfast was delicious. All of it, their pancakes were delicious! The maple syrup was still warm. Everything from the eggs to the steak was finger licking good!

Reviewed November 22, 2011

Order the Loose Caboose Special it's enough for 3!

1  Thank PamberSky
Reviewed August 2, 2008

This place has the SLOWEST service on the mountain! The menu looks great at first, but the food is bland, bland, bland! Lousy chili, must be from a can. Even worse salsa...avoid it for sure! We haven't been there for 2 years, drive by and snicker every time. The ice cream is so old it has crystalized. Sick stuff. I do remember good french fries, don't know if they still are. Best of luck to those of you brave enough to try to eat there!