“It's OK”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Covina
San Diego
“It's OK”
Reviewed October 25, 2005

We have stayed at this hotel many times over the past 30 years and it's just fine. I agree with those who found it not up to ES standards, but also with those who enjoyed it. I noticed this last trip that the beds are new; extremely comfortable! I believe this was built for Embassy Suites, BEFORE they got into the atrium idea. They were among the first to offer suites, and breakfast.

Once when we were staying here, many years ago, Trapper John was filming a TV episode and I sat in on it for the entire day. I'm sure they used it because the grounds and Spanish architecture are very appealing. It's just kind of 'old' now.

Stayed October 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Reviewed June 11, 2005

Embassy Suites is an excellent value with professional service. I have a hard time understand people like the last reviewer who are probably older, have alot of free time on their hands to nit-pick, and want many things for free (since they aren't working and don't have alot of extra cash).

I suggest old people stop leaching off society with social security, grand slam breakfasts discounts at Denny's, and handicap parking spaces at the mall - they should be locked down in retirement villages on the outskirts of town where nobody can hear their cries.

Stayed June 2005
Reviewed March 20, 2005

I've stayed at this hotel numerous times, mostly when I can't get into the Embassy Suites in Arcadia. Hotels are only about 15 minutes away but it's like night and day.

Be warned that this not a typical Embassy Suites. I think it was probably converted from a motel some time ago - the room entrances are outside (and thus they won't deliver your room bill under your door on the day of checkout.) Parking is distributed around the hotel with various entrances to the hotel around the perimeter controlled by your room key. Still not bad, but if you're expecting the usual high-rise with an atrium in the middle ES this is not one of those.

Hotel has a tropical theme with palm trees and such around the pool and hot tub area. Room themselves are typical Embassy Suites rooms (which is to say pretty nice.) Breakfast is also typical ES style and I do love their breakfasts. Made to order eggs, pancakes, bacon, etc all made with a smile.

I have also noticed they frequently have large groups of teenage kids staying there and of course they tend to dominate the hotel. Doesn't bother me since I don't use the pool and they never get up early enough for breakfast to bother me, but If I was there with my family it would be an nuisance.

I prefer the ES in Arcadia, more typical ES style and they have free internet access. This one charges $10 per night which I think is ridiculous for wireless access that costs so little to install.

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 20, 2004

This hotel is very cozy. Tucked off the Highway with a lot of trees. It is almost an apartment feel. Close to the Mall and the largest IKEA store I have ever seen! Fantastic room service and made to order breakfast (free) every morning. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Nazareth, Israel
Reviewed June 2, 2004

I am a full time travel agent. I've booked thousands of rooms for corporate clients as well as families. Embassy Suites has always had a good reputation for friendly service and comfortable roomy suites. My family didn't mind that this was the most expensive hotel in the area, we needed a suite for 5 adults. I booked the reservation 3 months prior to check in and even called 1 week prior to make sure everything was correct. My parents were the first ones to check in. Upon arrival the reservation agent informed them that "someone" had requested a king bed instead of 2 doubles. My parents informed the front desk agent that we needed 2 doubles, there were 5 adults. My parents were told the hotel was sold out and all they had left were king bed rooms. My mother immediately called me at the travel agency to see what happened with the reservation. I spoke with the front desk agent and was told that someone called to change the reservation. She was very rude and talking down to me over the phone. I never told her I was their daughter. I informed the woman that Embassy Suites wasn't allowed to book a room with 1 bed for 5 people. That's when she told me it was only reserved for 4 people. Mind you I had the confirmation right in front of me and my mom and dad also had a copy showing 2 double beds for 5 guests. We even paid extra for the fifth adult. I knew she was lying. I knew the hotel had overbooked the rooms and were trying to cover up their "overbooking" by pointing the finger at someone else. That's an advantage of being in the travel industry. I asked if they had roll away beds for the extra adults. She actually suggested that they sleep on the floor since they didn't have roll aways! I told her they weren't going to be paying $225- per night for a person having to sleep on the floor. I hung up, and called an Embassy Suites supervisor while my parents waited in the lobby for the front desk supervisor. I told the supervisor that they were playing games and my parents needed a double room. A few minutes later my parents called saying that a room opened up with 2 double beds. They also gave them a $99 per night rate for the inconvience. I was furious with the service and lies that were told to my parents. Once I arrived later that night I noticed there were 2 groups of kids (ages 6-14). About 200 of them. They were constantly running up and down the halls at all hours of the night, screaming, and stomping. They ate french fries in the pool were spraying people as they walked by, and jamming up the elevators. The plumbing is really old and everytime someone upstairs flushed, it sounded like the water was going to break through the ceiling. The room was okay. They gave us 3 towells for 5 people and 1 shampoo. We had to ask them both days for more. The kitchen was cute and the living room had a pull out sofa with a sheet and blanket (no comforter). The room was on the low scale for Embassy Suites. They definately need to remodel.

Besides the kids from hell and the delay at check in there were some nice things about the property. Newspapers were at our door every morning. A full cook to order breakfast was provided every day from 6am to 11am. Plenty of things to choose from: eggs, pancakes, hashbrowns, bacon, sausage, full assortment of bagels, muffins, fruit, coffee, tea, juices. And in the evenings from 5:30p to 7:30pm complimentry drinks sodas for kids and cocktails for adults. I heard the bartender tell some guy they don't serve whisky, but everything else they seemed to serve with a smile. They also provided chips and salsa and pretzels.
There is also a really nice restaurant, Blakes. The staff is very nice and gave us a private room (we had a party of 16). The menu was pricey ($18-$30) for dinner dishes, but very good. An Italian/French place with pasta's, and steaks. Outside of Blakes as you exit is a karoke bar. So much fun. I was a wimp, but many of my friends dared to get up and make a fool of themselves. It was great. They also had a dance floor. The hotel is also right off the freeway and easy to find. Free parking as well.

I was disapointed in the quality of service, and they definately need to remodel. They were the most expensive hotel in the area and there were other hotels that looked just as nice for half the price. I've stayed in 3 other Embassy Suites and they were far nicer than this one. If you find a rate $120 or less than it's a good deal, if not...skip it.

11 Thank jsimmons

Travelers are raving about these Covina hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Covina
Holiday Inn West Covina
Pacific Palms Resort
Pacific Palms Resort
#1 of 1 in City of Industry
Red Roof Inn San Dimas - Fairplex

Been to Vanllee Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!