“Nice and Cozy, Good Location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Vanllee Hotel and Suites

Vanllee Hotel and Suites
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Covina
A TripAdvisor Member
“Nice and Cozy, Good Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2004

This hotel is very cozy. Tucked off the Highway with a lot of trees. It is almost an apartment feel. Close to the Mall and the largest IKEA store I have ever seen! Fantastic room service and made to order breakfast (free) every morning. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Nazareth, Israel
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2004

I am a full time travel agent. I've booked thousands of rooms for corporate clients as well as families. Embassy Suites has always had a good reputation for friendly service and comfortable roomy suites. My family didn't mind that this was the most expensive hotel in the area, we needed a suite for 5 adults. I booked the reservation 3 months prior to check in and even called 1 week prior to make sure everything was correct. My parents were the first ones to check in. Upon arrival the reservation agent informed them that "someone" had requested a king bed instead of 2 doubles. My parents informed the front desk agent that we needed 2 doubles, there were 5 adults. My parents were told the hotel was sold out and all they had left were king bed rooms. My mother immediately called me at the travel agency to see what happened with the reservation. I spoke with the front desk agent and was told that someone called to change the reservation. She was very rude and talking down to me over the phone. I never told her I was their daughter. I informed the woman that Embassy Suites wasn't allowed to book a room with 1 bed for 5 people. That's when she told me it was only reserved for 4 people. Mind you I had the confirmation right in front of me and my mom and dad also had a copy showing 2 double beds for 5 guests. We even paid extra for the fifth adult. I knew she was lying. I knew the hotel had overbooked the rooms and were trying to cover up their "overbooking" by pointing the finger at someone else. That's an advantage of being in the travel industry. I asked if they had roll away beds for the extra adults. She actually suggested that they sleep on the floor since they didn't have roll aways! I told her they weren't going to be paying $225- per night for a person having to sleep on the floor. I hung up, and called an Embassy Suites supervisor while my parents waited in the lobby for the front desk supervisor. I told the supervisor that they were playing games and my parents needed a double room. A few minutes later my parents called saying that a room opened up with 2 double beds. They also gave them a $99 per night rate for the inconvience. I was furious with the service and lies that were told to my parents. Once I arrived later that night I noticed there were 2 groups of kids (ages 6-14). About 200 of them. They were constantly running up and down the halls at all hours of the night, screaming, and stomping. They ate french fries in the pool were spraying people as they walked by, and jamming up the elevators. The plumbing is really old and everytime someone upstairs flushed, it sounded like the water was going to break through the ceiling. The room was okay. They gave us 3 towells for 5 people and 1 shampoo. We had to ask them both days for more. The kitchen was cute and the living room had a pull out sofa with a sheet and blanket (no comforter). The room was on the low scale for Embassy Suites. They definately need to remodel.

Besides the kids from hell and the delay at check in there were some nice things about the property. Newspapers were at our door every morning. A full cook to order breakfast was provided every day from 6am to 11am. Plenty of things to choose from: eggs, pancakes, hashbrowns, bacon, sausage, full assortment of bagels, muffins, fruit, coffee, tea, juices. And in the evenings from 5:30p to 7:30pm complimentry drinks sodas for kids and cocktails for adults. I heard the bartender tell some guy they don't serve whisky, but everything else they seemed to serve with a smile. They also provided chips and salsa and pretzels.
There is also a really nice restaurant, Blakes. The staff is very nice and gave us a private room (we had a party of 16). The menu was pricey ($18-$30) for dinner dishes, but very good. An Italian/French place with pasta's, and steaks. Outside of Blakes as you exit is a karoke bar. So much fun. I was a wimp, but many of my friends dared to get up and make a fool of themselves. It was great. They also had a dance floor. The hotel is also right off the freeway and easy to find. Free parking as well.

I was disapointed in the quality of service, and they definately need to remodel. They were the most expensive hotel in the area and there were other hotels that looked just as nice for half the price. I've stayed in 3 other Embassy Suites and they were far nicer than this one. If you find a rate $120 or less than it's a good deal, if not...skip it.

11 Thank jsimmons

Travelers are raving about these Covina hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Covina
Holiday Inn West Covina
Days Inn Of West Covina
#5 of 7 in West Covina
Fairfield Inn & Suites Los Angeles West Covina
Red Roof Inn San Dimas - Fairplex

Been to Vanllee Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!