“Struggling premises with lovely staff”

Vanllee Hotel and Suites
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Covina
SF
“Struggling premises with lovely staff”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Our group stayed at this hotel for a week. Rooms were changed once, twice and even three times by one of us. It was difficult because they have found a niche with an international crowd who smokes, in the front of the hotel, in front of their rooms and in front of where breakfast is served. This can be challenging for those of us who are not used to cigarette exposure.
The staff was very helpful on various things, adjusting room heat settings, providing extra blankets and you really felt they were doing the best they could.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room away from the highway side of the building.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed November 25, 2012

My wife and I stayed here Thanksgiving night. Based on the mixed reviews, we were a little hesitant, but thought we'd give it a try anyway. We'll definitely be back!

The person who checked us in, Christine, was an absolute delight. I'm sure she would have rather been with her family on Thanksgiving Day, but she sure didn't let that show. She greeted us with a cheerful, "Happy Thanksgiving!" She then completed our check-in in a most friendly and helpful way. Not only did she make us not feel guilty for checking in on a holiday (I hate making others work on holidays...) she actually made us feel welcome as if she was glad we were there.

Our suite was recently remodeled - new carpet, new paint, new furniture, 2 LCD TVs, new bathroom (except tub/shower). They even got rid of the old popcorn texture stuff on the ceiling. Nothing to complain about regarding the room at all.

The hotel is set up around a courtyard area which is beautifully landscaped. Several nice areas to sit outside at tables or on benches and enjoy the California weather. Breakfast outside was wonderful!

This is an old property, and some of the outside could use a fresh coat of paint or something to brighten it up. But the landscaping is beautiful and the rooms (at least the one we stayed in) are newly remodeled. We will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the freeway,.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Calif0rnia_traveller
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stayed at this hotel on business from November 16-17. The front desk personnel are excellent: the check in was fast, and when I had a problems with my room (too close to the highway and rundown), they were eager to find me a quieter room and did so within minutes. The hotel grounds are beautiful and well maintained.

Here is a detailed list of the problems that I encountered:

Some suites need to have furniture and/or carpet upgraded, as they are worn. (This was true of the first suite that I was given.)

The swimming pool was too cold to swim in. I called in advance to verify that indeed, the swimming pool was heated and received an affirmative response as I had expected. (When I stayed here last May, it was.) I put my hand in the pool to test it, and it was ICE COLD. I called the front desk, and they said,"We will have someone call you in the morning." That was the day that I had to check out, so I never learned what the problem was and never had a chance to swim.

The fitness center needs to be upgraded with a few weight machines. The hotel only has two treadmills, one of which was not working, and another aerobic machine.

In the bathroom, there was no spool for the toilet paper. (I found this very strange.) Also, the device that allows hot water to go up to the shower (and not in the bathtub) needed to be replaced; too much water escaped through the faucet.

The sleep number device was not working in my suite, so I couldn't adjust the bed.

If I had to give the hotel a grade, it would be a C+.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the noise of Interstate 10.
Oakland, California
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I hate to give this place a negative review, because I liked it--sort of, in a strange way. But really, it wasn't a nice hotel.

Let's start out with the good stuff: The staff. I found everyone that I interacted with to be very helpful. The front desk staff person was expecially friendly and helpful, even when I requested to change rooms--which often doesn't make for friendly interactions. Another plus--the buildings themselves are pretty, in an Old California or Mexico kind of way. In fact, the whole place reminded me of a medium-budget Mexican hotel. Maybe that's why I liked it? Third, the gardens were lovely--mature palm trees, lovely pool area, etc. Fourth, the rooms (suites) are quite spacious. The room that I ended up in had *three* sinks. I don't even have that at home. And my steak sandwich at the restaurant was quite good.

And now for the negatives. The big thing is that the place is just dingy. It needs a good scrub and a coat of paint and someone in charge who hates dirt and who will banish it from the premises. If the windows and lights and public spaces were sparkling clean, things would look a lot better. The elevators were embarrassingly shabby. Most of the paint is brown, which doesn't help. And it smells of both mildew (I think from the efforts to keep the tropical gardens alive) and cigarette smoke. There were a LOT of smokers loitering about. I wondered if the place has gotten a reputation as smoker-friendly--maybe because of the external hallways that make for easy access to the outdoors? The first room I checked into reeked of smoke, and I requested a change. The next room smelled just a little bit of smoke, and I tolerated it.

Other things: The fan for my air conditioning never turned off in the three nights that I was there. My first room had brand new furniture, but a carpet (looked new) that was badly stained beyond repair. My second room had furniture from the 1970's--kind of cool, actually--and was actually in better shape. Breakfast was mostly mediocre--I didn't bother eating the dried-out danish, but the fruit salad was excellent. Just like eating fresh fruit in a hotel in Mexico by the beach.

Overall, if I were paying $30 for a beach front hotel in Mexico, I might have found all of this more charming. Maybe. But for a business trip in the USA, it was all just sub-par. I really hope they do better, because I think it has the potential to be a really cool hotel.

Room Tip: Aim for a room nearer the front of the building--maybe near the pool. The place is a maze, and you...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank beglisc
Jose G, General Manager at Vanllee Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your comments on your recent stay at the Radisson Suites Covina. We appreciate that you have brought to our attention issues that arose while you were a guest of the hotel, I have shared all your comments with our department head and we will take care of them all.

Please accept our sincere apologizes for the problems you experienced and we hope that you will give us the chance in the near future to provide you with the level of service we demand from ourselves to all guests of the Radisson Suites Covina.

Abdul El-Mekhgiange

626-915-3441
abdul@radissonsuitescovina.com

Travelers are raving about these Covina hotels

Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

When I checked in the lobby I felt fine, but by the time I got to my room I was upset. The carpet had stains, the TV remote did not work. I did not feel relaxed. The sliding glass door's handle and lock were gone, good thing I was not in the first floor. The bed linen was clean and the bed was comfortable. The noise from the fwy was very loud. New glass doors would of helped that. The towels were clean. The sliding bathroom door needed oiling. When I called for a remote for the TV no one answered at the front desk. All and all I was uncomfortable.

Stayed November 2012
Jose G, General Manager at Vanllee Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your comments on your recent stay at the Radisson Suites Covina. We appreciate that you have brought to our attention issues that arose while you were a guest of the hotel, I have addressed your concern with our staff and we are working on getting them resolved.

Please accept our sincere apologizes for the problems you experienced and we hope that you will give us the chance in the near future to provide you with the level of service we demand from ourselves to all guests of the Radisson Suites Covina, and when you plan on coming to visit please contact me and I will make sure that you are well taken care of.

Best regards,
Abdul El-Mekhgiange
626-915-3441
abdul@radissonsuitescovina.com
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I stayed here one night. The hotel is like a campus so be prepared to walk a ways and navigate the exterior hallways before finding your room.
The room itself was quite nice. The common areas of the hotel are looking rather tired and frayed.
Yes, the bed is nice but the bedding itself was a bit disappointing (not down comforter or pillows). The sleep number bed is good and you can adjust the firmness if you can figure the remote out.

Biggest draw back was that I couldnt get an internet connection in my room. The signals were strong but there was something wrong. When I went to the breakfast room I was able to get a working wifi connection. I couldnt work as a result from the breakfast area for long however, it was too busy and not private.

The price was good and if it wasnt for the internet I would have probably given it a four. Reliable internet is a must however.

Please note- this hotel seems to cater to large tour groups so be prepared for buses and tourists.

Room Tip: avoid the rooms facing the highway which is adjacent to the hotel.
USA
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Pros
-Big Rooms
-SleepNumber Beds
-Recently Renovated
-Good Breakfast
-Helpful Service
-Courtyard
-Quiet Rooms (even on I-10 side)
Cons
-Little run down in certain places.
-Pool is cold (like very cold)

Room Tip: The highway side is very quiet so it does not matter on which side you are on.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Covina
Best Western Plus West Covina Inn
Fairfield Inn & Suites Los Angeles West Covina
Pacific Palms Resort
Pacific Palms Resort
#1 of 1 in City of Industry

Been to Vanllee Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!