“Spanish Mission Retreat”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Covina
Emerald Isle, North Carolina
“Spanish Mission Retreat”
Reviewed December 14, 2011

Okay, I've read the horror stories posted here and while I can *maybe* see where some people are coming from, I definitely don't think this property deserves all the negative reviews. I am a considerable hotel snob (read: I've been known to switch hotel rooms multiple times in a single stay), and I love this place. Granted, it doesn't have the marble floors and multiple eateries and impeccable facilities like the Beverly Hills Hilton, but it is great at what it is: a Spanish-style retreat. Tucked away on a lightly traveled road, this property is reminiscent of old-world Spanish missions. The outside of the buildings and the elevators are antiquated, but I think this adds to the charm. The rooms I have stayed in are well-updates, complete with a small kitchenette, a large screen TV, and a living area. Finally, the staff are incredibly helpful and friendly. Denista, who works the front desk, was kind and helpful throughout my stay, going above and beyond what was required to ensure my stay was pleasant. Bryan (Brian?) and Kay were also friendly and helpful. If you're thinking about staying, do. It's a peaceful and pleasant place.

Room Tip: Call the front desk ahead of schedule to request a room facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Ironlady B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Ridgecrest, California
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We had a regular suite with a king bed in the bedroom and sofa bed. Had to call for bedding and towels as there were 3 of us which took about 20 minutes.
Pool and hot tub were clean with lots of towels available.
Room service was quick - the wine was really marked up but not the beer.
Had reserved via Priceline so received a great price.

Room Tip: Bring your own alsohol and snacks, the fridge was cold. And having the microwave was a bonus.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank marros1960
USA
Reviewed October 15, 2011

A lot of people have reviewed this place with true horror stories. We found it to be adequate.

1-The architecture is pleasing - Spanish style with a nice lobby and beautiful fountain in the courtyard
2-Our room had a sitting area and a separate bedroom
3-The shower had poor water pressure and the water was not a constant temperature.
4-The rooms were cleaned to an acceptable level, but were by no means "spotless"
5-In the night there are some rather sketchy looking people lurking around the inner courtyards of the hotel. I couldn't tell if they are high on something, homeless, or just strange people. In any case the girls in our group didn't really want to walk around alone.
6-We only ate one single meal there during the whole stay and that was a breakfast. It was average.

I would stay again if I got the same deal on the price.

Room Tip: It looks like some rooms might be fairly loud. We had inner facing rooms which were fairly quiet.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank _Mundo_Traveler_11
Central California
Reviewed October 12, 2011

I used to stay here a lot when it was Embassy Suites, you couldn't beat the free cook to order breakfast that was included for my family of 5. Now that is gone, if you want breakfast, you pay for it. There has been some attempt to upgrade the properties interiors, but it's only about a half an effort. In my room, which smelled musty, the bathtub had been reglazed but it was peeling off and you could see the light green tub that was underneath. My room still had the old style TV in the bedroom. My room also had the sleep choice mattress, which I have at home, but it's the bottom of the line version, so even though you can adjust the air, it just has firm to sag with no change in comfort. The exterior of the hotel is rough, it's all painted in a boring light brown that just reeks of trying to cover up something. Plus the hotel is all non smoking now, so you constantly pass people in the hall outside of their room smoking. They need to change the whole property to non smoking. I would stay here again if I get a cheap rate through Hotwire or Priceline, but there's not a chance I would pay $100 plus to stay in this old run down hotel.

Room Tip: I would pick a room closer to the lobby. This property is fairly large, if they put you in the back...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed October 1, 2011

I will start out by saying that this was a Priceline purchase and I stayed there the night of September 27, 2011

We drove in from Las Vegas to shop at the closest IKEA. The hotel was very convenient to IKEA and many other restaurants and shopping.

The hotel is decorated in a Spanish-American decor and has not been updated. I paid $10 to have a renovated room on the 3rd floor. My room did appear to have been updated with carpet and furnishings however the bathtub tile had not been updated and I found a large water bug in my bathtub when I checked in. The picture frame above my headboard was being held together with packing tape. The room itself seemed dingy and smelled musty. I was given a key card to open my room door and the gate closest to my room. Unfortunately, the card did not open the entry gate closest to my room but another one further away. So, I had to zig zag to my room and backtrack as the elevator closest to the entry gate was out of order.

Using Priceline I saved about $60 on the room however I think that I'd rather pay full price at another hotel the next time I want to shop at IKEA.

Room Tip: If you must stay here call in advance an pay the $10 for a renovated room on the back side of the ho...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Danae B
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Do not at this hotel the first weekend I stayed I woke up to ants and water bugs this was in a excecutive suite, I returned the following weekend ti find a black widow with a web of babies and dead roaches they were feeding off of. The pool was dirty and the jacuzzi never works properly. The staff was very poor managment told me that I was no longer welcomed because he couldn't make me happy I was very affended.

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank jenhorta
Orange County
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I stayed last month for a work thing....i was expecting a cheap hotel like our company usually books, but was very impressed with the hotel over-all...its an old place, but looks great, reminded me of the Mission Inn and it isnt in a real busy area, nice and quiet if you get a room away from the freeway. the breakfast was great, not just cereal and taost like other places, best of all, they are all suites...verrrry nice

Room Tip: ask for a courtyard view...away from the freeway
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Covina
Best Western Plus West Covina Inn
#5 of 7 in West Covina
Hampton Inn Los Angeles/West Covina
Fairfield Inn & Suites Los Angeles West Covina
Red Roof Inn San Dimas - Fairplex

Been to Vanllee Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!