“Exmoor haven”
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

helenb49
somerset
“Exmoor haven”
Reviewed September 29, 2014 for a stay in September 2014

Stayed at Riverside cottage with a friend and our four dogs.The cottage is very roomy with open plan kitchen lounge/dining room with some lovely features..Nice sized bedrooms with views to the bridge and ford..Modern bathroom (no bath)..Bit of a problem with the shower draining very slowly.Theres a café next door selling lovely food ect and is also licenced.There are plenty of scenic walks from Malmsmead especially the Lorna Doone river walk...The roads are a little narrow if your not used to driving on these sort of roads.I will definitely be back as I think this is such a pretty part of Exmoor.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The peace and quiet and scenery
Liked least: nothing
Traveling group: Friends
People with pets
Dave S
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“A Great Holiday”
Reviewed September 24, 2014 for a stay in September 2014
person found this review helpful

We arrived at the cottage around 3.30 pm and were welcomed with a smile, two large cups of tea and two large slices of cake. We were then shown around the very clean and well presented cottage, with a lovely king sized bed.
By the next day, we were on first name terms with all of the staff and made to feel like part of the family.
The area in which the cottage is situated is in the most picturesque countryside that we have ever seen and for hikers (like us) it was heaven.
After every walk, it was a real treat to get back to cottage take off our boots and sit in the riverside garden with cold lager or a large Devonshire ice cream topped with clotted cream (my favorite) and laugh and joke with our new found friends (The staff).
After one long walk I fancied Bacon and Eggs. Although this was not on the evening menu, Vicky (The Manageress) happily made it for me. Thanks Vicky!

To Conclude. We would like to thank Vicky, Clare, John and Jonah for helping to make our stay special.

Hope to see you all again.

Love Dave and Barb

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The area and the staff
Liked least: nothing
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 65+
People with pets
JC1664
“Great location and reasonable cottage spoilt by adjoining pub and complete lack of privacy.”
Reviewed August 15, 2014 for a stay in August 2014
person found this review helpful

We have stayed in this part of Exmoor many times and it is a beautiful area with Malmsmead perfectly positioned to explore the area.
Our first impressions were pretty good, the cottage is nicely proportioned, well presented with a good layout and appears to have been recently refurbished. There is no washing machine but this is clearly stated in the details - so I have no complaint. After spending the first day in the cottage it became clear that quite a few things were either missing or not as you would expect. For example: there is no toaster; only pint glasses and wine glasses; the tin opener doesn't work etc. None of this is a big deal but in conjunction with the lack of welcome pack we were left with the impression that nobody really cared much.
The real issue and the primary reason I would not recommend the property is that the cafe is in fact now a pub, it changed 5 months ago and at the time of writing this was still not reflected in the property description. We would never have booked if we'd known. The twin bedroom is directly above the pub kitchen and the open plan living area is only separated by an internal door. On the first night I complained about the noise, especially the music from the kitchen as our 4 & 7 year old children could not sleep. I was grateful that the music was turned off but from that point felt that I'd upset the staff. Unfortunately the sound insulation is so poor that I had to listen to the kitchen staff talking about us the following evening.
A couple of days later we had friends visiting, within minutes of their arrival there was a knock at the door and I was told that they could stay (!!) but that their dogs would have to sit in their car. I refused, and asked to see the owner, he was far more reasonable and I felt less unhappy after our meeting. However, I do not expect this hassle when on holiday.
If the adjoining property was still a cafe (as advertised) we'd have been content with the cottage, but for us living over a pub doesn't make for a relaxing holiday.

Location Cleanliness
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Reviewed August 8, 2014 for a stay in July 2014

Friends getaway A romantic getaway
Older travelers Families with young children
London
Reviewed January 2, 2014 for a stay in December 2013

Check in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this vacation rental to my best friend?
Management Response
Jan 2, 2014
Thank you for your feedback, we are glad that you liked the cottage and location but I am very sorry that the chimney leaked during your stay. I will certainly raise this with the owner.

In the defense of the cottage it must be noted that we experienced exceptional weather at the time of your stay, Met Office weather warnings due to torrential rain and gale force winds - horizontal rain at times! Nonetheless please accept our apologies and we will investigate the chimney.
Bath
Reviewed September 19, 2013 for a stay in September 2013

Check in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this vacation rental to my best friend?
Management Response
Sep 19, 2013
Thank you for your comments, we always appreciate feedback from our guests so that we can improve for future guests.
I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed Exmoor but of course very sorry that you found the cottage disappointing.
We try to make the information and photos on our website as clear as possible so that guests know what they are getting when they book it. I am sorry if you feel that we have failed to let you know there wasn't a bath in this property, I will make sure the information on the website is made more clear.
With regards to the power cut, I am so sorry that this happened during your stay, and as you say incredibly unfortunate that it should occur on the day that the staff had a day off. In an emergency we would always try to help if we could, we are usually on the end of an email and in this instance could have alerted the housekeeper to your distress.
I'm not sure what you mean by the staff taking the internet off you, but I will also raise this so that we can ensure wifi is available for guests' use.
Again, thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and bringing these points to our attention. We hope that you will return to Exmoor again.
DawnSurre...
Surrey
“Our Utopia”
Reviewed June 23, 2013 for a stay in June 2013

We have just returned from a wonderful week in Lorna Doone cottage. The cottage is probably situated in the best location possible in Exmoor. Malsmead is set in a valley between open moor, woods and fields and fields of sheep. The river East Lyn runs through just across the lane and makes it's way all the way down to the sea at Lynton. It's a lovely 6-7 mile walk with convenient stops at pubs in Brendon, Rockford and scrumptious rock cakes at the National Trust Watersmeet. We had a different walk each day directly from the cottage across Doone valley or to Oare where we saw a calf that had been born only a short while before and was staggering around on jelly legs. The cottage was spotlessly clean with comfy sofas, fluffy duvets and pillows. The whole of the downstairs is open plan which makes it ideal for families who want to chat whilst dinner is cooking. The café/deli next door is open most days from 11am but didn't bother us at all. The bedrooms where spacious with lots of hanging and cupboard space. The garden is all yours from about 5pm and is a lovely sun trap to sip a gin and tonic in whilst watching the swallows dart across the river. Thomask is usually around to help with any issues or to give a friendly wave in the mornings. He helped us with a problem shower door and produced another frying pan to fry eggs in. The plumbing was a bit odd and we didn't quite get to grips with it but it didn't really cause us problems. My daughter enjoyed two horse rides from the local stables at Brendon Manor stables 4 miles up the road. They were friendly and catered for all grades of riders.

There is no chance of a mobile phone signal anywhere in the valley but there is wifi. We slept with the windows open and woke to the morning chorus of birds and lambs, and at night the owls called to one another across the valley. If you want a get away from it all break in the most beautiful part of Exmoor then this place is for you. We will most certainly be back.

Liked best: Everything
Liked least: The kitchen could do with a few more utensils such as a bread knife, egg cups and another saucepan. The plumbing in the kitchen was back to front with hot or tepid water coming out of both taps.
Traveling group: Extended Family
Your age range 50-64
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing