“One GREAT margarita!”

El Matador
Ranked #92 of 535 Restaurants in Costa Mesa
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed September 15, 2013

My friends and I refer to El Matador as "the office" & regularly call "meetings" whenever one of us needs a great margarita...their Cadillacs are fantastic!
The vibe is local and casual, and it's usually pretty busy. Craving Mexican? No need to dress up, just bring an appetite.

1  Thank Lynn E

Reviewed September 6, 2013

We were moving away from the area and picked Matador as our going away meal. The fajitas are amazing, and the large margaritas are on our table every time we go. I have been 4-5 times and have loved every meal. I definitely recommend this place. The portions are large so either share, or plan to eat it the next day too. They have an extensive tequila list. I didn't get charged anything to upgrade my tequila in the house margarita. Thank you El Matador, you will be missed.

2  Thank Karin Y
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Every Tuesday, my friends and I, go out for Taco Tuesday. We have tried many different places in the Newport Beach/ Costa Mesa area. We evaluate each restaurant on five criteria: Value, quality of the Margarita, quality of the taco, the chips, and the service. While El Matador does not score highest in every area, it comes out #1 overall. We just keep coming back to this place.

1  Thank Goodness4you
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This is a landmark in town... seems like it's been there forever which is saying a lot... even though the parking is horrendous and out of the way for us... but the salads are great, chips very good, and meals delicious... I hear the drinks a really good also.

1  Thank Mark G
Reviewed March 22, 2013

This is a local haunt that is an institution...and I really want to like it every time I go...but I can't. Here's why. I have been there over half a dozen times over the years and no matter what I order, I always feel sick several hours after the meal. I am not sure if it is too greasy for me or what. Whatever the reason, it happens to me (and my friend) every time. I have been with friends and they are fine after the meal. I am not so lucky. Normally Mexican food doesn't affect me this way, but it does here. I want to love it. It has history. It has popularity. It has Mexican food. I REALLY want to love it. But, alas, El Matador is not for me and my delicate constitution.