“Clean tidy, average”

Ramada Costa Mesa/Newport Beach
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
Reviewed September 5, 2010

Rooms well cleaned, but a bit musty on first entrance. Swimming pool should be no smoking area. swimming pool area is secure with key access only. Needs to be closed earlier than 11pm as it can get noisy. Jacuzzi needs more cleaning. service is good. Foyer and entrance area is smart and clean. Next to a very good Growers Direct store for cheaper fruit and veg. Dennys close by is good.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,118)

Reviewed July 19, 2010

The only reason I stayed here was because I got it through Hotwire. Last time I stayed here they took an extra deposit off my credit card that took a week for them to reimburse. I've stayed in other Ramadas that cared more for the up keep of their place. The on site restaurant staff was the best part of this stay. The pillows were lumpy, the blankets had cigarette burns. The bathroom was okay but the room smelled stale.
It was very difficult to get in and out of the parking lot since it was on a very busy street and a right turn was the only way in. The neighborhood is not comfortable - they had cops out one night with guns for a disturbance. Not sure what that was about, but it did not make us feel safe. Very disappointing.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 25, 2010

I was looking for a clean hotel with the lowest price. Costa Mesa Ramada is it. Huntington Beach was my destination and this hotel was plenty close. I stayed at a hotel in Long Beach and one in Huntington Beach. Both cost more and our family all agreed that neither were as good as this Ramada by far and the kids wanted to go back to the Ramada too. The next time it will be just Ramada Suites Newport. I think I would have to pay three times as much to get a nicer hotel than this one. I noticed a worker cleaning the carpet in one of the rooms. This is a sign that carpets are cleaned regulary and the lack of bad oder in the room we stayed in seemed to indicate good maintenance. I was amazed at how clean the parking lot and grounds were. This is the first hotel I felt motivated to write a review for. I recomend it to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 15, 2010

Exactly what you expect in a Ramada/Holiday Inn/Quality Inn class motel.

Short drive to Newport Pier, 10 min. drive to Orange County Airport, free airport shuttle, free wifi, free parking. Hotel breakfast is pricey, adjacent Denny's might be a better deal. Taco Bell one block away.

On day of stay (Feb 2010), we advanced purchased the room at EasyClickTravel for $56 (found through kayak.com).

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
RamadaCostaMesaMgr, Manager at Ramada Costa Mesa/Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2010

Thanks for your great comments. I would like to add that we offer great specials for our guests for breakfast, drinks and dinner. Please get the specials at our front desk the next time you are in town. Look forward to seeing you in the future-Vince Andres, General Manager.

Reviewed May 3, 2010

OMG!! What a nightmare!! Every time they cleaned out room, something else was missing. Like light bulbs?! Towels (not one)?! They would always be one item short of making a pot of coffee (and I love me coffee:). Restaurant hours are not honored and are completely random. Everything reeked (literally) of cheap motel. Everything is falling apart or broken...

The worst part was when I came back to the room at midnight and my key was shut off. Apparently a rookie at the front desk had forgot to have me initial a piece of paper, so they locked me out of my room. Huh? That's your notification system? Nice!!

Spencer, the manager on duty, didn't really seem to think any of this was out of the ordinary and couldn't think of anything that would help us feel even a little better. Wish I could give 0 stars.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family

Thanks for your comments. I strive for our hosekeeping to be consistent and these comments help us. In the future please contact a manager right away so we can make sure you are being taken care of. Our bar hours are now posted for consistency. If you are ever in the area again, please allow us another chance to impress you. I will take care of you personally-Vince Andres, General Manager.

Reviewed May 1, 2010

We enjoyed our stay at this Inn. I was skeptical at first after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor but this Inn was just as clean as the Doubletree we stayed at for the previous 3 nights in Anaheim. It is only about a 30 minute walk to the beach and there are plenty of great places to eat in the area. Our room had everything we needed including a small refrigerator, coffee maker, hairdryer, and San Francisco Soap Company toiletries. There is a small resturaunt on site but we didn't eat there and free internet access in the lobby. The jacuzzi was nice and the pool area was clean. The price we paid might have been a bit high as this should probably be more like a 2 rather than 3 star property. It is more like a motel and needs some maintenance on the outside siding especially and was a bit noisy. I would recommed the manager add a small free continental breakfast to travelers for the price. Those small things aside we would stay there again and would recommend others to stay there too.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank enchantedeverafter
RamadaCostaMesaMgr, General Manager at Ramada Costa Mesa/Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2010

Thanks for your great review. I will make sure and look at the siding for anything needed. The next time you are in town, we offer specials to our guest for breakfast, drinks and dinner. Please let us give you this information at the front desk on your next stay. See you soon-Vince Andres.

Reviewed April 21, 2010

I spent weeks looking at reviews on tripadvisor as I always do, and was confident with my choice of the Ramada at Costa Mesa.I was looking forward to my business/ pleasure trip to Orange County. This was my first trip to the west coast.
That all came to a screeching halt when we pulled into the hotel.
The motel, because thats what it is. To me by definition if your rooms are all accessible from outdoor balconies- this is a motel. They have no right to be calling themselves suites anything.
The motel is surrounded by mechanic and chop shops. I never felt unsafe but then again I didn't walk around after sunset.
Checking in was fine enough- except for the visibly ill receptionist whom we tried not to get too close to.
The room was clean and a fine size. However the lighting in the room is poor at best.
There is one lamp above the ancient CRT TV (thats the old kind of tv that is crazy heavy and huge) with a 30W bulb in it, and 2 wall mounted lamps between the beds. Catch is that the lamps by the bed are controlled by one button so you have to keep clicking the button to get one or the other or both. Sounds fine until its the middle of the night and one of you is sleeping but the other is reading a book and you wake the other person up because you have to turn their lamp on so you can turn them off.
You say- well just open the curtains. Well we did, and then someone walked right in front of our room and looked in on us. The window has 2 sets of curtains, thin white gauze that lets light in and anyone can look through, or the really thick ones that block out all the light and peeping toms.
The bathroom was small but clean.
The water pressure and temperature are great, however the shower head is installed about 1 foot lower than any other shower head I have seen in any other bathroom in the world. Unless you are under 5 feet tall, you are going to have to bend side ways to be able to wash your head.
The second day of our stay there, our key didn't work so we took ourselves to the office to get it reprogrammed.
The mid 20somethign at the desk gave me an attitude and told me that phones and credit cards can demagnitize the key (like I have never had a electronic hotel key before and I should be ashamed of myself). When I asked him where he though I should keep the key he said "in your purse" my reponse " well in my purse I keep my phone and my wallet which crazy enough has my credit cards in it so what do you suggest I do??" He rolled his eyes at me, huffed and handed me my keys back.
We stayed here 4 nights. Apparently the laundry room is directly in front of the 3rd external stairwell- the one closest to our room. The entire time that we were there, the base of that stairwell was surrounded by dirty or clean laundry. I mean we walked out there at all times between 6 am and 8 pm and there were always at least 3 carts full of laundry.
The mattresses are hard but never gave me any back issues. The pillows on the other hand are the worst I've ever slept on. Days Inn and Holiday Inn express have better pillows than this place.

All in all, the location was convenient to us and we loved having a trader joes across the street but we will never ever go back to this hotel if we are ever in orange county again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business

Thanks for your comments. To many guests we are not a motel because we are three stories with elevators and other amenities such as fitness room, guest laundry, airport shuttle, restaurant and lounge on premises and our pool and hot tub. If you are in the area again ask for me and try one of our suites that have a sitting room with a bedroom attached. I will take care of you personally-Vince Andres.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Costa Mesa
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
#7 of 18 in Newport Beach
Residence Inn Costa Mesa Newport Beach
BEST WESTERN PLUS Newport Mesa Inn

Been to Ramada Costa Mesa/Newport Beach? Share your experiences!