“Unfriendly service”

Ramada Costa Mesa/Newport Beach
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
England,St Albans
Reviewed September 9, 2005

We are an English family who stayed at Ramada Inn, Newport Beach as part as a road trip holiday to California. This is how we rated its facilities:

(Marks out of five)

Bedroom: ◊◊½

Bathroom: ◊◊◊

Position: ◊◊½

Overall rating: 14.5 out of 30

Notes: I strongly recommend you don’t get a ground floor room as it can be dreadfully noisy also the beds and pillows are uncomfortable. Furthermore we found the staff unfriendly and not at all helpful.

Stayed: August 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (1,107)

Reviewed July 22, 2005

It took us an hour to check in as we booked through expedia and ramada couldn't find our reservation as apparently expedia didn't send ramada the fax with our confirmed and paid for reservation. This cause us to stress out as we were very tired and repeated travelers were showing up and getting suites like we wanted and then finally being told they were sold out. We did get our suite, but the air conditioning is in the living room and doesn't seem to quite make it into the back bedroom. We froze out our kids on the pullout sofa bed :) oops! An extra blanket took care of that.

The kids loved the pool and the assortment of food at the breakfast bar. Good location for walking to restaurants such as Outback Steakhouse. Very short drive to the beach.

We would probably book here again, but will confirm our reservation if we book through expedia.

• Stayed: July 2005
4  Thank rodriguezflightcrew
Reviewed July 7, 2005

This is an excellent value for your travel dollar. My wife and I spent 4 nights here in June 2005. We read many reviews of hotels in the Costa Mesa/ Newport area and decided we would try staying here. A very pleasent surprise.

Its very easy to find (when you turn off the 405 onto the 55 to Newport, you drive past it) and is in a safe and useful area. Many restaurants close grocery shops close. Its not on or near the beach and you will need a car, however, it is an easy 5 min drive to the beach areas. Newport/ costa mesa is a very clean and safe area. We never felt uneasy about the area of the Ramada. But you do need a car to get to your destinations (beach, shops etc). As far as the hotel is concerned, it is very new and very clean. The rooms were very clean and offered a fridge to place your food/ drink in. The front staff was helpful, and it had a pool and seemed to attract a good family mix of people.

The only knock I would have against the motel is the beds. They are clean, but a little stiff/firm for my taste. But I guess if you like a firmer matress, go for it. Other than that, I would really recommend this motel.

• Stayed: June 2005
1  Thank ABtrip
Reviewed May 26, 2005

I planned a wonderful birthday for my husband. We were staying here as part of a murder mystery package with Mystery Cafe. When we arrived we noticed (and heard) construction going on EVERYWHERE. We were put in a room right above a jackhammer. When I called the front desk I was told that it would cease at 6 and would not start in the morning until 9. Both of those times were wrong. Our room shook so bad. We could not hear the TV at all. Everything was constantly changing. They had a makeshift front desk that was located on one side when we went up to our room & gone when we came down. Finding everything in this hotel was like a scavenger hunt, with how frequently they were miving locations. Also, you never knew which elevator they were going to have open. Everytime we went up or down it was different.
Well, when we booked we were told the shuttle would take us to the show and pick us up. When we were ready to go the show we called the front desk and asked them about the shuttle. They had NO CLUE what I was talking about. They could not accomadate us and my darling husband had to be the driver.
The price was very reasonable, so I didn't make such an issue about everything. I am sure by now it is probably awesome and a real value for the money.
So, it was OK for the money, but I probably won't go back because I think they should have let me known about the construction at time of booking.

• Stayed: June 2004
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed April 16, 2005

At first glance, from the street the hotel doesn't look too appealing. However, once you turn into the parking lot it doesn't look that bad. It basically looks like several apartment buildings. We only stayed here for one night so the price was reasonable at $79 per room. The rooms are clean and comfortable, we were able to get both of our rooms on the same floor and it was even better because we had the ground floor and transferring luggage back and forth was not a problem. There is a television on an armoir( is that how you spell it?), small refrigerator, iron and ironing board, a safety box, small coffee maker, and blowdryer. The location of the hotel is perfect because it is near many places such as Balboa peninsula, Fashion Island Mall, movie theatres, Starbucks, Outback Steakhouse, Trader Joe's, etc. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 2, 2005

One of the nicest Ramada Inn's I have stayed at. Very clean and very accomdating staff. Would highly recommend if you are in the area.

5  Thank rfd2112
Reviewed January 5, 2005

We just stayed here last week for four nights and loved it...a perfect home base for Newport and Huntington beaches, Fashion Island, even Disney. Very clean, quiet. We had a suite (very large) for around $80, which was an excellent price. A five minute drive to the beach...perfect!!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
#7 of 18 in Newport Beach
Holiday Inn Express Newport Beach
Holiday Inn Express Newport Beac...
#15 of 18 in Newport Beach
Residence Inn Costa Mesa Newport Beach

Been to Ramada Costa Mesa/Newport Beach? Share your experiences!