“Scam”

Ramada Costa Mesa/Newport Beach
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I bought the Groupon for a one night stay and breakfast at this hotel so my husband and I could have a weekend getaway, at least for one night. I called up the hotel well in advance to make a reservation, and was told it was a minimum 3 night reservation to use this Groupon, because I was trying to book it on May 5 for one night. I said, "excuse me? That's not even a holiday." I was told "too bad, that's the policy for all holidays and important dates." After trying to discuss it further I gave up. Fortunately Groupon refunded my purchase price. I'm originally from Canada, so does that mean that on Canada's independence day of July 1st as well as all other countries "important dates" in the world, there will be a 3 night minimum stay as well? I will never promote this hotel chain again. That was ridiculous!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank happytravels18

Reviewed September 29, 2012

All was clean comfortable bed I will stay there again
Close to beach and my travel office
Good people to help

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 29, 2012

There are certain things I expect from a hotel room. I expect a clean, comfortable bed. A working toilet/bathroom. I expect for the lamps and lights to be in working order. I expect that when I plug in my electronics, they charge overnight. Reasonable? I think so, and none of these expectations were met. We stayed at this hotel because we received a excellent rate. But I wished we had paid a little more and stayed elsewhere. The first thing that annoyed me was that two lamps were missing light bulbs. And the floor lamp was not plugged in, or working. We figured out that the entire room had electrical issues. We plugged in our phones overnight and found the plugs had fallen out overnight. The outlets were so loose, they couldn't secure the plugs. The bedspreads were dingy looking and I was very skeptical of the last time they had been cleaned. The toilet constantly ran. The shower was terrible. At first the water temperature was fine. But midway through the shower the water got scalding hot and then freezing cold. The TV was big and bulky and the picture was undesirable.

When we checked out, I notified the front desk of our issues and did not receive any kind of an apology. After we left I noticed I left my travel bed pillow in the room. I called the hotel and asked them to find it. A short while later we returned to pick it up. It took a while for them to find it. But what makes me angry is that I found a note inside the pillow. "Room 142 Yessica.". Whom I believe was our housekeeper.

We travelled with our two small dogs to this property. There must have been smells they could detect in the room. Also the "pet relief" area had very tall wet grass. They didn't want to use that, so we found another area with nice trimmed grass. So even the dogs did not enjoy their stay.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MissEileen
Reviewed September 27, 2012

The hotel staff were friendly, efficient, and notably helpful.

The room was marred by some goof-ball design or construction errors: the toilet was so close to the wall that the poorly-placed toilet paper holder pushed one into a tilt on the throne; the nicely labeled light switches were incorrectly labeled; the mirror over the sink was so low that the top half of a six foot person's face is cut off; the cove for cove lighting over the sink is placed so close to the ceiling that little light hits the ceiling; etc.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We enjoyed staying here. Room was nice, not overly great but accommodating. One complaint, we were charged for a late checkout, but didn't check out late, a tad frustrating, but resolved.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Great area, lots of good places to eat too, however, try the Sunset Grille...its so awesome. Its a wee bit noisey but the over all experience is great.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The hotel is walking distance to several bars and restaurants, and within easy driving of the beach. The accomodations are average, and if you are just passing through and want to experience the beach, it is a good location and value. Pool and bar / restaurant on-site.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Best Western Plus Newport Beach Inn
Island Hotel Newport Beach
Island Hotel Newport Beach
#2 of 18 in Newport Beach

Been to Ramada Costa Mesa/Newport Beach? Share your experiences!