Travelodge Orange County Airport/Costa Mesa
Crowne Plaza Costa Mesa Orange County(Costa Mesa)(Great Value!)
$104
$125
$239
$215
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express Costa Mesa(Costa Mesa)(Great Value!)
$111
$104
$119
$159
$127
  • Restaurant
All reviewspancake makerenglish muffinscar rentaltravel lodgeroom was cleanpool and jacuzzithin wallsorange county airportjohn wayneone night staymini fridgeshuttle servicelocation is greatwould stay againyogurtsouth coastfree parking
Reviewed January 23, 2011

This hotel was such a steal!

$68.70/night for a king sized comfortable bed (Run Of The House Rate on reservation) with a 42" LCD plasma screen tv (HDMI compatible for gaming and laptop), continental breakfast, and was only 2 miles away from food and the party we were crashing.

If you're rainbow friendly; the Tin Lizzie Saloon is around the corner and it's always gay night every night.

The room was so large roomy and comfortable we felt at home straight off the bat.I was here with my girlfriend and she was so impressed and so happy that this place turned out pretty awesome!
It's real close to the John Wayne Airport; has a laundromat; pool & jacuzzi (did not go swimming so I wouldn't know), and also exercise room.

Only gripe was that the internet was slow but it was available, the fact that the parking was only so-so, our room was right next to sewage (gross but did not stink so long as we were in the room), and the cleaning ladies were waiting on us to get out stuff out and check out. The front desk people are awesome!

Continental Breakfast:
Assorted Bagels, cereal, oatmeal, english muffins, apples, oranges, and bananas.
Drinks: OJ, apple juice, tea, coffee and milk.

Bathtub had a crack but it was obviously repaired in the past.

The best part was that when you book on a weekday you get 20% off discount on each night so if you book a stay for a Monday - Friday weekday. (includes weekends if you book with weekday stay)

Check in was at 3pm however if you're going to check in later leave it in Customer Comments; checkout was at noon.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank wy_ly2856
Reviewed October 28, 2010

I was really excited to take my boyfriend and three teenagers on this trip -- a family wedding with some tourist activity tacked on. We had taken an early flight, spent half the day at Universal Studios, then sought the hotel for some rest before the wedding, shower, etc. Unfortunately Google map directions were way wrong [not sure whose fault that is ...] so it took a good 30 minutes more to find it, even with an active GPS too.

When we checked in, the clerk was extremely friendly, but we were met with the AWFUL news that the pool and spa were out of service for maintenance. Surely between Priceline and the hotel there would be some way to notify a leisure traveler? Anyway, let's not blame the hotel.

The rooms were decorated in the most eye-searing fabrics -- bedspreads, curtains, oy vey! Who was thinking what? But both rooms appeared very clean, and we liked the large vanity /countertop for the sink. Microwave and fridge? Two thumbs up! An ice-caked freezer in which you couldn't actually fit anything? Thumbs down. Clean tub & shower? Thumbs up. No fan in the bathroom? Thumbs down.

There was no 'privacy' door hanger, then it was an unpleasant surprise the next morning when housekeeping came knocking at 9. We asked them to come back at 11, then filtered downstairs for the "premium" continental breakfast. NOTHING premium -- boxed cereals, bagels, no recycling, and the threat of being interrogated about your room before you could eat. Fortunately that showdown never came to pass.

Saturday was a fun day, full day at Universal Studios, general exploring. We came back after dinner with the intent of hanging out & relaxing. One grumpy guy [perhaps a long-time guest/resident] told my girls to be quiet -- they were giggling when knocking on the door of the room my son was staying in. It was 10 PM, and they were a couple of giggling teenagers. CHILL, mister.

Sunday dawned brightly over the empty pool and jacuzzi :-( and as we were preparing to pack the car and checkout there was a cluster of 5 young men in the breezeway near one of our rooms. The aroma of illegal herbs was strong as I came around the corner to take the stairs down. Eventually we had to call hotel staff to have them removed. This is unfortunate and was uncomfortable because there were plenty of housekeepers rolling their carts back and forth so they should have seen.

At check out, again the service was really great. Thanks for the mint!

Air noise from the county airport wasn't too bad, access to freeway was decent, so all in all I'll give it a thumbs up ... with an asterisk. Good luck to you!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 17, 2010

It was easy to get there from John Wayne(OC) Airport, especially making use of the complimentary shuttle. I have even visited before from LAX - self-drive, and the hotel is situated centrally in the heart of OC. It has a welcoming exterior, simple, in keeping with Travelodge, but cared for and tended.
I was greeted in the lobby with pleasant efficiency and nothing was too much trouble. This would probably be the perfect hub for business trips too. But I was on holiday. Walking passed the pools to my room, the water looked clean and inviting.

My room was ambient; someone had designed it 'home-from-home', it seemed just for me, and the message read that if anything was lacking they would do their utmost to rectify it. I found nothing however was lacking: It was perfectly comfortable (dare I say upmarket for a Travelodge) - I was quite taken aback by the thoughtful attention to detail and amenities, and I felt safe.
The breakfast was simple and well considered. Not just a pile of donuts, but fresh juice and fruit, coffee, cereals and breads and English muffins to toast.
At night I could walk a few yards to a choice of lively local eateries, or take a short drive to the bustling bars and bistros on Newport Coast.
The hotel is convenient for the classy shopping malls, (Spectrum, Fashion Island and South Coast Plaza) and a couple of trendy, funky 'anti-malls' are really close by...worth a look!

There are beautiful Soca golf courses - one backing onto the hotel, - and all manner of visitor attractions locally, including Disneyland and Universal. I had easy access to the freeways, South to San Diego, East to the Coacella Valley Desert, North to downtown LA, or a short hop West to the glorious coastal villages which cater for chic and surf alike!

Now don't get me wrong, - we are not looking at the elite, top-notch, dollar-guzzling end of the market; - this is not a five star, plush, marbled, palace...but it certainly aspires to be one, and should have five stars for effort! So for comfort, care, cleanliness, convenience and considerable value I would award this particular unique Travelodge an A+ *.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank SussexVoyager2
Reviewed November 17, 2009

I travel frequently and have had the opportunity to stay in several hotels. The location is perfect when flying into John Wayne, this hotel has it all. Friendly staff, clean quiet rooms,
shuttle service, business center, continental breakfast. What more could you ask for? Superb value.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank 3_EaglesYorbaLinda
Reviewed May 29, 2009

This is an excellent hotel, very good located, close to the OC Santa
Ana Airport John Wayne (3 minutes by car, only), better that LAX Aiport. If you are travelling to the south of California or going to Disneyland... excellent hotel and excellent location. It has a reasonable price and a good breakfast. Close, you can find
restaurants, etc. Moreover, there are several "latinos" working, so, if you do not speak
English they can help you. I go there from Madrid (Spain)

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo