“Rooms need upgrading”

Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
IRVINE
“Rooms need upgrading”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

If you enjoy the sound of constant planes taking off right above all day & night & waking up every morning to the gardners right outside your window with loud clowers & trimmers, than this is your hotel. Also there is a big population of people actually living there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

khamSam, Manager at Travelodge Orange County Airport/Costa Mesa, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you for your response. We will utilize it and make changes where possible.
We are fairly close to John Wayne Airport planes depart as early as 7am and stop around 10pm. Also to maintain our property curb appeal we do labor work outside but normally not too early taking our guest in consideration. We welcome daily guest as well as extended stays.

Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
WOODLAND HILLS
Reviewed October 15, 2012

The location was good for attending a show at the Segerstrom Center, and the hotel offered shuttle service there, which was a nice surprise. The picture quality of the TV in the room was not great, but that may not apply to all. The furnishings showed some wear and tear, but it was clean and quiet, and the price and location were fine for me. It was also very close to a lot of eateries.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

khamSam, Manager at Travelodge Orange County Airport/Costa Mesa, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
We appreciate your response. Glad the shuttle was useful for you. normally we provide to any business within 3 miles from our hotel. We are working on remodeling more of our rooms this includes furniture. In the future please let us know if you have any problems we are glad to send maintenance just notify front desk.
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

We booked 2 nights at this Travelodge. Staff were friendly at arrival/check in time. We reserved a room with two queen beds.

At the time of our check in, a "suspicious" looking woman (guest?) Interrupted our check in process by demanding a key to a room. She was informed by the staff who checked their computer system that she "was not requested" in that room (!!!!). I think this should have been our clue to turn around and run as fast as possible, but it was late and we were very tired and nowhere else to go so we finished our check in.

Upon our.arrival in our non-smoking room, we encountered a room with worn out, filthy stained carpets. Tried to open a night stand drawer and the front fell off! Bathroom light was covered with a thick fuzzy blanket of dirt/dust. Chairs were badly stained with something black. Couldn't sit on it, and definitely would advise against walking on the carpet barefoot! The room reeked of.cigarette smell. There was an old banana left in the microwave (by previous guest??), and to top it all off, an EMPTY condom wrapper Left behind in the trash can!!

As we had nowhere else to go and were exhausted after a long drive, we actually stayed and suffered through the night, trying to get some sleep while fighting our feelings of revulsion.

We complained the next morning to the, management, and to their credit, they refunded us both nites. They were very apologetic. We found another place to stay the second nite.

will NEVER book this place again!

• Stayed September 2012
khamSam, Manager at Travelodge Orange County Airport/Costa Mesa, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review,
Please accept my apologies for the inconvenince.
and let me assure you we have spoken to our housekeeping staff
to prevent this from happening in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Costa Mesa hotels

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Stayed 8/9/12 Thurs eve. Felt as if we were a pain for the front desk clerk to work with except for running my credit card through for payment. Asked about the shuttle to the airport and were told it doesn't start until 6:30 am and had to be scheduled. Thankfully we had a rental car that I could hold for one more night and return or we would probably have missed our flight relying on this place for a shuttle.

Got to our room, and we had one bath towel, and 2 washcloths for 3 people. When I called the front desk for additional towels, the phone rang and rang, finally the clerk picked up and I was told to "come down and get them." I asked why and was told that there was "no one here tonight to bring them to the room." When I got to the front desk there was the front desk clerk and one other staff member; both went to a back room to get the towels. I don't like being lied to.

When we had checked in I asked if it was automatic check-out and I was told I had to come to the front desk in the morning. When I arrived in the morning at 5:30 am, no one was at the front desk, I called out twice "hello, " no surprises there, so I grabbed a piece of paper from the printer and wrote a note that we were checking out. The same clerk came out from the back rubbing his eyes. I said we're checking out is there anything for me to sign, he said "no." Big waste of my time coming to the front desk to deal with this guy for the last time.

As for the room, ok on cleanliness. Doors open to the outside, air conditioner is a window mount, very noisy and not very cold air. Refrigerator worked well. Stain on the blanket--when I saw that automatically pulled the bed apart to check for bugs. There was a carpet tack on the floor which I stepped on. The bathroom had a toilet roll dispenser about 5 inches from the floor, that seemed like a creative construction trick to say the least. The bathtub drained backwards into the tub rather than into the drain. Bottom of shower curtain had mold.

Basically stayed here because it was going to be a short night. I wouldn't recommend on spending more than one night here. It is "bare-bones" --that's it.

Parking lot fills up fast, nothing on one side where most of the hotel is (behind the pool).

I really can't believe that these hotels/motels don't have standards from one hotel to the next (eg in order to get the Travelodge designation you have to meet standard requirements). The decorative "lighting" in the front windows is more tacky than welcoming.

Room Tip: 2nd level.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Bluestater
San Jose, CA
Reviewed February 28, 2012

I've stayed here five times now. The experience is consistent: the Travelodge Orange County Airport delivers a decent room for a very low price. You're plenty close to the beach area, John Wayne Airport, and a nexus of freeways that will take you anywhere in the greater LA-Orange County area. The decor and furnishings are aging, but they're aging gracefully :). And again, I feel as if I got at least what I paid for when it comes to hot water, a comfortable bed, a decent cable lineup, and very convenient free parking and Internet. The in-room microwave and fridge are all I really need. The blackout curtains made my room utterly dark and restful. You don't hear the jets from the airport between about 9 p.m. and 8 a.m., because of local regulations. There's a small but decently equipped exercise room. You're easy walking distance from restaurants, both fast-food and casual dining, and there are two convenience stores right across the street. When it's time for a remodeling, I'm sure they'll put in some more stylin' bedding and fixtures, but in the meantime, it's still a great place to lay your head at night. Take the money you save by staying here and splurge at South Coast Plaza, The Camp, or the legendary Hi-Time Wine Cellars in nearby Newport Beach.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Extended Stay America - Orange County - John Wayne Airport
BLVD Hotel
BLVD Hotel
#13 of 23 in Costa Mesa

Been to Travelodge Orange County Airport/Costa Mesa? Share your experiences!