“Friendly staff; disgustingly dirty place”

Travelodge Orange County Airport/Costa Mesa
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

We booked 2 nights at this Travelodge. Staff were friendly at arrival/check in time. We reserved a room with two queen beds.

At the time of our check in, a "suspicious" looking woman (guest?) Interrupted our check in process by demanding a key to a room. She was informed by the staff who checked their computer system that she "was not requested" in that room (!!!!). I think this should have been our clue to turn around and run as fast as possible, but it was late and we were very tired and nowhere else to go so we finished our check in.

Upon our.arrival in our non-smoking room, we encountered a room with worn out, filthy stained carpets. Tried to open a night stand drawer and the front fell off! Bathroom light was covered with a thick fuzzy blanket of dirt/dust. Chairs were badly stained with something black. Couldn't sit on it, and definitely would advise against walking on the carpet barefoot! The room reeked of.cigarette smell. There was an old banana left in the microwave (by previous guest??), and to top it all off, an EMPTY condom wrapper Left behind in the trash can!!

As we had nowhere else to go and were exhausted after a long drive, we actually stayed and suffered through the night, trying to get some sleep while fighting our feelings of revulsion.

We complained the next morning to the, management, and to their credit, they refunded us both nites. They were very apologetic. We found another place to stay the second nite.

will NEVER book this place again!

• Stayed: September 2012
khamSam, Manager at Travelodge Orange County Airport/Costa Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review,
Please accept my apologies for the inconvenince.
and let me assure you we have spoken to our housekeeping staff
to prevent this from happening in the future.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

Stayed 8/9/12 Thurs eve. Felt as if we were a pain for the front desk clerk to work with except for running my credit card through for payment. Asked about the shuttle to the airport and were told it doesn't start until 6:30 am and had to be scheduled. Thankfully we had a rental car that I could hold for one more night and return or we would probably have missed our flight relying on this place for a shuttle.

Got to our room, and we had one bath towel, and 2 washcloths for 3 people. When I called the front desk for additional towels, the phone rang and rang, finally the clerk picked up and I was told to "come down and get them." I asked why and was told that there was "no one here tonight to bring them to the room." When I got to the front desk there was the front desk clerk and one other staff member; both went to a back room to get the towels. I don't like being lied to.

When we had checked in I asked if it was automatic check-out and I was told I had to come to the front desk in the morning. When I arrived in the morning at 5:30 am, no one was at the front desk, I called out twice "hello, " no surprises there, so I grabbed a piece of paper from the printer and wrote a note that we were checking out. The same clerk came out from the back rubbing his eyes. I said we're checking out is there anything for me to sign, he said "no." Big waste of my time coming to the front desk to deal with this guy for the last time.

As for the room, ok on cleanliness. Doors open to the outside, air conditioner is a window mount, very noisy and not very cold air. Refrigerator worked well. Stain on the blanket--when I saw that automatically pulled the bed apart to check for bugs. There was a carpet tack on the floor which I stepped on. The bathroom had a toilet roll dispenser about 5 inches from the floor, that seemed like a creative construction trick to say the least. The bathtub drained backwards into the tub rather than into the drain. Bottom of shower curtain had mold.

Basically stayed here because it was going to be a short night. I wouldn't recommend on spending more than one night here. It is "bare-bones" --that's it.

Parking lot fills up fast, nothing on one side where most of the hotel is (behind the pool).

I really can't believe that these hotels/motels don't have standards from one hotel to the next (eg in order to get the Travelodge designation you have to meet standard requirements). The decorative "lighting" in the front windows is more tacky than welcoming.

Room Tip: 2nd level.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Bluestater
Reviewed February 28, 2012

I've stayed here five times now. The experience is consistent: the Travelodge Orange County Airport delivers a decent room for a very low price. You're plenty close to the beach area, John Wayne Airport, and a nexus of freeways that will take you anywhere in the greater LA-Orange County area. The decor and furnishings are aging, but they're aging gracefully :). And again, I feel as if I got at least what I paid for when it comes to hot water, a comfortable bed, a decent cable lineup, and very convenient free parking and Internet. The in-room microwave and fridge are all I really need. The blackout curtains made my room utterly dark and restful. You don't hear the jets from the airport between about 9 p.m. and 8 a.m., because of local regulations. There's a small but decently equipped exercise room. You're easy walking distance from restaurants, both fast-food and casual dining, and there are two convenience stores right across the street. When it's time for a remodeling, I'm sure they'll put in some more stylin' bedding and fixtures, but in the meantime, it's still a great place to lay your head at night. Take the money you save by staying here and splurge at South Coast Plaza, The Camp, or the legendary Hi-Time Wine Cellars in nearby Newport Beach.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank spiderdad
Reviewed February 3, 2012

They offer free shuttle to and from airport, as well as to the Amen Clinic! Our check in & check out was fast, efficient and no billing errors. I was in room 125 in the back, no noise & hotel is conveniently located. Our room was clean, all amenities in the room functioned properly (fridge, microwave, tv, blowdryer, coffee maker) . Beds were comfortable, rooms smelled clean and the a/c - heater worked, we tried both. It's not a five star hotel, but for a night or 3 night stay in my case, I feel it was well worth it; I got a good deal on the internet. The grounds were immaculate and beautiful & they also have a car rental in the lobby! The only complaint I have is the art work in the room was outdated, but it appears they are updating all of the rooms as a couple of rooms down from mine was completely gutted and being remodeled. The continental breakfast consisted of juice, milk, coffee, bagels, english muffins, fresh fruit and cereal; enough to get your day started. It was served in 2 adjacent rooms which provided numerous tables to sit at with a flat screen to watch the news. The pool was medium size, it looked clean and the hot tub was definitely hot; it also looked clean. There was a nice grill in the pool area also. All of the staff I had contact with were very friendly and willing to help. I think they have made many changes over the last couple of years.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, get a room in the back.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank debbie D
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Actually felt like I blew it. I had other choices on my I-phone at about the same price. I just happened by here and wanted to get the room rental out of the way, Probably should have waited. Room was sufficient for a quick overnight stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Wingtipsmith
Reviewed April 24, 2011

I was flying in with kids 8, 5 and 16 months, and arriving late (10:45 PM). We were renting a van at the airport the next day to drive down to Carlsbad (for Legoland), and just needed a place close the airport for the overnight. I limited my search to hotels that had free airport shuttle. When I arrived I called for the shuttle. They said "we don't have a shuttle." After stating that thier site said they do, he said they don't have one "at this time of night." They offered to comp me cab fare. This is what we did. When I arrived, I pressed him a bit, and it turns out that thier shuttle drivers is "on vacation." That seems a little lame. They did, however, also comp the taxi back to the airport to pick up my rental.
The room was fine. A little dingy, but for "cheap near the airport," you have to kind of expect that.
If I fly in like this again (unlikely), I would probably stay there again, but I would verify the shuttle before hand.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank jthoni
Reviewed January 31, 2011

I booked this hotel, I confess, because it was the cheapest place I could find in all of south-central Orange County. I wasn't expecting much, so I was delighted to find it quiet, scrupulously clean, and equipped with all the things I want: free Internet (why do "premium" hotels feel they can charge for this? Internet is Internet), free parking (see previous comment), a nice fridge to store supplies for the room picnics I enjoy, a good TV with a well-above-average cable lineup, a comfortable bed, effective heat and A/C, and plenty of hot water in the shower. For a hotel this inexpensive, any kind of breakfast would be a bonus, so I wasn't disappointed at the modest offerings in the breakfast room. They saved even a few more bucks, so who can complain? I didn't even have to buy a newspaper -- they were in the lobby. I disagree with a previous commenter who thought the furnishings were gauche -- they were just motel basic, not raggedy and kitschy, just unremarkable. It's close to the airport, but I heard only a few flights taking off, partly because the takeoffs were angled away from the motel, and partly because OC is zealous about not allowing taking-off jets to be noisy. They have to throttle back after taking off, and they don't fly late at night or early in the morning. This stretch of Bristol is bland, but only a few miles up the road are South Coast Plaza, one of the highest-grossing and fanciest malls in the country (nearby are theaters, music venues as well). Even closer is a pair of "anti-malls" that any younger person would find delightful; these are shops selling handmade crafts, organic and quirky food, amazing bicycles, cool outdoorsy wear, and more (one of these malls is called "The Camp," and it looks like a permanent village set up by the world's smartest hippies. The other, across a busy street, is called "The Lab," with similar goodies plus performance possibilities).

Anyway, you could do much, much worse, and you probably have, if you prowl for cheap rooms the way I do. This Travelodge was well worth it for the budget travelers.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo