Avenue of the Arts Costa Mesa, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel
GreenLeadersGold level
Dallas, Texas
“Great Stay ! ”
Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

We has a fantastic stay at Wyndam. The hotel grounds are very manicured and well kept. Our suit was very nice and as well. The staff were very accommodating of our needs. The concierge recommended a great car service to Laguna Beach. My only issue was with our room bring a little warm and the hotel not being able to provide a fan. The hotel is across the street from South Coast Plaza and less than a mile from the 405. We would definitely stay at this hotel again !

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed August 14, 2014

Me and My Daughter's came to Costa Mesa to shop at South Coast Plaza. We chose this Hotel because of it's closeness to the mall, and we ended of loving the Hotel just as much as the location. Richie the manager took extra good care of us and greeted us upon our arrival! We will definitely be coming back!

Green Features: The hotel is a green property and provides nice fresh clean white linens in all the bathrooms! Love this!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
St. George, Utah
Reviewed August 13, 2014

We arrived at the hotel to attend a memorial service after driving for 6 hours, and were greeted by a very enthusiastic young lady that informed us that the junior suite we had reserved had been upgraded to a larger suite, we thanked her and hurried to our "suite" only to open the door and literally walk into the bathroom with no door to the handicapped room we had been moved to.

The room was so badly appointed that they did not even have towel racks to hold the towel, they were stacked on top of the safe that was placed on a shelf that appeared to be a VERY small partial closet for a toddler with 3 hangers, that if you hung up a blouse or skirt would drag on the ground.

We then walked into a large room that only had a bed with bedding as old as dirt, a desk tucked into a corner, and a TV.

The room looked more like a ballroom or a large bedroom that was in the process of being emptied for remodeling...one could only hope.

There was an adjacent room that had a small TV on a little table on one end of the room and a small love seat at the opposite end, with vast floor space..again looking like it was in the process of being emptied.

The wooden floor had several large scratches that had been smudged with a considerable darker crayon in an attempt to repair the scratches.

There were no floor mats for the sink or shower area, that were made of only concrete. there was mold growing under the old discolored granite going up the walls.

We were in a hurry as the memorial service we were attending had started an hour earlier. I made a quick call down to the desk to ask for our junior suite that we had originally booked, I was placed on hold and the manager came on the phone to tell me in a very annoyed voice that we would have to move to the first floor because that was the only room they had left (there was a large wedding party at hotel)I said that would be fine. I was told that someone would be by to move us, when I told him our situation and explained that my husband had jumped in shower quickly and we did not have time to repack at that time. he became very rude so I told him I could not deal with this at this time and hung up on him.

When we returned to our room later that evening one would think that the manger knowing how upset I was would have left a message or a note.We never heard from him or anyone else for the remainder of our stay including our check out!

The next morning we met some friends for breakfast at the hotels restaurant and waited for 45 minutes for the waiter to get to our table, nothing was properly served had to wait for drinks, coffee refills, etc, our dirty dishes sat in front of us for 1 hour until we grabbed someone and asked to have them removed.

Our friends told us that they did not want to say anything when we told them where we were staying, but that, they knew that the hotel had a very bad reputation as to the management not caring about customer service and that they have a huge turnover.

We think that the reason they did that to us was because they knew they could sell our suite (had one free night due to our points on a hotel site.) I could understand if they needed the room for the wedding party that was there, if they had just treated us with a little respect and not like we were some morons that would think that horrible room was an upgrade, perhaps offered a breakfast voucher or something, Not that we would have accepted something for nothing. We are not those types of people, we only ask for the same courtesy we gave them.

To be honest I think they didn't like that fact that we were getting one night free.
So perhaps they should not agree to participate with sites that offer their loyal customers rewards.

Room Tip: I don't know, we never got the chance to see the room we booked.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Angie M
Goodyear, Arizona, United States
Reviewed August 11, 2014

It's very close to South Coast Plaza yet perfectly quiet and peaceful. The appetizers at the restaurant are amazing and with happy hour prices you will be glad you tried them all. We liked them so well we took a picture of the menu and will try to make them at home for a party this week.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Greg H
La Mirada, California
Reviewed August 11, 2014

There are no words to describe what a great hotel this was for our wedding guests, the staff was so efficient, their whole attitute was to ensure customer satisfaction. From the time you stepped into the Lobby to register to the day you left all staff was gracious, helpful, pleasant to deal with and probably the most accomodating that I have found in all my travels. All our family and friends raved about the service at the hotel, the bar and beautiful grounds.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone that has a large number of people to accommodate .

A very special thank you to Morgan and Dottie for being so helpful and efficient to all our guests.

Room Tip: They have many rooms with outstanding views - suites are large and have wonderful views - regular ro...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
Reviewed August 10, 2014

I was very pleased with my stay at the Avenue of the Arts hotel. It started when I walked in to someone holding the door for me and a warm welcome. It only got better as we got to our room and found very comfortable beds and spotless rooms. We were very pleased with their room service and the restaurant which had some of the best menu options I've seen during my travels. I would highly recommend this place to anyone traveling to the area. Come for the service and stay for the view!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Hilton Orange County / Costa Mesa
The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
#9 of 17 in Newport Beach

Been to Avenue of the Arts Costa Mesa, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel? Share your experiences!