“First stay and impressions of the renovated Avenue of the Arts Wyndham Hotel, Costa Mesa California USA”

Avenue of the Arts Costa Mesa, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I travel to Costa Mesa and California from Australia nearly every two weeks. Previously I, due to my occupation, have stayed for years at the Hilton Costa Mesa or Marriott Suites at Costa Mesa. Both excellent hotels. The Hilton being a favourite because of fantastic staff and the Marriott because of the lovely rooms (and not the staff....).

This is my first stay at the Wyndham Hotel. I generally arrive around 8am. I always try a new hotel with hesitation but on arrival - what a pleasant surprise!!! I was greeted with the smell of complimentary coffee brewing for people checking in - lovely! The staff - in particular Anthony and Sloan - but extra special mention for Anthony - were exceptional. I was tired. I needed to book a car for the next day. All car hire places are closed on a Sunday usually in Costa Mesa. Anthony spent, by my calculations, nearly 2 hours making sure a car will be at the front of the hotel at 9am the next morning. He was friendly, polite, patient, well groomed, cheerful and continued to attend to the needs of the many other guests checking in - printing out boarding passes, calling engineers - multitasking in an effortless and seamless way. Having achieved my car hire problem Anthony directed me to my room. LOVELY! Timber floors, flat screen cable TV and dvd player with fridge, coffee making facilities and hi speed internet. Bed so comfortable, beautifully decorated. (Particularly loved the way the shower curtain is hung - very exotic!). Eco certified rooms. They have a gym and business centre and restaurant in the lobby area. The pool/cabana area - fabulous.

The hotel is a short walk to my favourite shopping mall - South Coast Plaza, but is also close to supermarkets in the other direction -- a five minute walk. A bus nearby the Plaza can take you to Newport Beach.

The hotel offers 24 hour room service. Strangely, other hotels in the area do not offer this. Room service finishes at those hotels at 11pm. Most inconvenient for a hungry guest with jet lag.

In additon, 5 minutes away you also have the benefit of a mail/shipping/post office with drug store, nail salons and restaurants.

Disneyland is not far by car and Costa Mesa is so much nicer to stay at than Anaheim.

John Wayne Airport is 5 minutes away. Lax Airport a little longer but its worth the drive.

Importantly the area is safe to walk around solo at night.

So finally, the rooms are so spacious with everything at your fingertips - including an ice machine on every floor that WORKS - for those that like to sit and enjoy the calm of this hotel in their room with a well chosen Californian wine.

I highly recommend Th Avenue of the Arts Wyndham Hotel to anyone and everyone!

Once again a special mention to Anthony! You deserve recognition!

Room Tip: As this was my first stay I was on the second floor overlooking the pool. My number one rule is ne...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Sloan S, Front Office Manager at Avenue of the Arts Costa Mesa, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Good evening Suzanne,

I have to admit that reading your review made me so proud of the property we represent, and most of all, our new Team Member Anthony. Anthony has taken our core values and service standard to heart, and I am so pleased he assisted you so intently. Should you need anything else upon your next visit please don’t hesitate to contact me directly. We look forward to seeing you at 8am soon. :)

Reviewed February 13, 2013

To help my son to move apartments without interfering, I stayed at this hotel for four nights. I was totally impressed with the friendliness and professionalism of the staff, the cleaniness of the room, the excellent services. I was also impressed by the amazing restaurant, the Silver Trumpet where I had breakfast, afternoon tea, and dinner.

Whether it is for business travels or family vacations, from now on, I will choose this hotel chain which makes me feel like home in a totally strange town.

Grace from Boston

Room Tip: I am used to sleep on very firm beds, you may want to select your own bed firmness if it is possible...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Grace C
Sloan S, Front Office Manager at Avenue of the Arts Costa Mesa, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Good afternoon Grace,

I speak for our entire staff when I say that experiences like yours are the reason we are in the business. Our 4-diamond service standard strives to make our property your home away from home and I am so pleased that we succeeded. I hope you stay with us again on your next visit to Orange County. You won’t want to miss the unveiling of our newly renovated lobby and bar :) Go Red Sox!

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I got my flu bug and cancelled my flight to stay at this hotel for several days and get well. I was too sick to travel back home. The staff was so incredible, friendly and very accommodating. The rooms are so well decorated and everything about the hotel was wonderful. Even loved the cushions at the pool. Walking distance to everything I needed, South Coast Mall and so much more! I will stay again!!

Room Tip: I loved being close to the pool.
1  Thank Sunnynlajolla

Having a bug and delaying a trip home are never fun or convenient circumstances. That being said, we are so happy we were able to make those less than fortunate circumstances more pleasurable and easier to burden. You will definitely have to stay with us again when you are not under the weather and experience all our property has to offer. We look forward to seeing you again soon and please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. Warm regards,

Reviewed February 9, 2013

A new location for the business and close to old stomping ground. The hotel is comfortably located close to numerous restaurants, South Coast Plaza, bars and conveniences.
The driveway can be a little tricky with a narrow entrance. The entrance and temporary lobby whilst small is very welcoming.
Staff are very friendly and helpful with nothing appearing a problem.
The lobby entrance and check in is currently being upgraded so it does appear a little inconvenient at present.
Rooms are spacious, timber floors, comfortable lounge, desk and bathroom.
Bed - very comfortable mattress however the pillows could be a little more firmer and supportive of neck area.
Wardrobe/drawers - plenty of space to comfortably store clothes and personal items, if you manage to unpack your suitcase.
TV - 32" LG LCD TV
Bathroom - large with recessed shower, ample of vanity area, basic decent quality amenities.
Most if not all rooms appear to have balconies either overlooking entertainment/arts precinct or the small lake between hotel and surrounding restaurants.
Wifi available via guest pass.
Good gym.
5 or so odd minutes to SNA (John Wayne airport)
45 or so minutes to LAX (depending on time of day and traffic)

Room Tip: Lake View rooms can experience jet noise from SNA, especially at night. Lake View rooms have beauti...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Shudjan
Sloan S, Front Office Manager at Avenue of the Arts Costa Mesa, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Good morning,

Based on your review it sounds like our property was a good fit for you, and that is exactly what we are striving for. The driveway does have the tendency to sneak up on you if you’re not used to our location. As a part of our recent renovations we are releasing a new sign that should make the approach to our property much easier. I must say that my favorite part of your review was the mention of our temporary lobby and front desk. Although it did take some getting used to, the consensus of our staff is that the temporary front desk is quite fun. That’s not to say that we aren’t anxiously anticipating the completion of our lobby renovation. I can assure you that it will be quite something. Please reach out to me personally on your next visit, and I will ensure your room is equipped with different pillows. We have several different options, and I am confident we can find a very comfortable replacement. Thank you for your time. Warm regards,

Reviewed February 9, 2013

This is a great hotel with a great location on Avenue of the Arts. I could walk to my office and the gigantic South Coast Plaza mall. The room was clean, well laid out with a comfortable bed and a small balcony overlooking a private lake. At night I went with a friend to the pool which had a a nice hot tub with plenty of towels. The front desk staff was very pleasant and helpful. Internet was included with the room. My only complaint was that I had a room rate which included breakfast but I couldn't get a darn bowl of cereal!

I left on January 31, 2013 and during that day they totally blocked off the front desk and started construction of that area in earnest. It will take about 2 months to complete. I'm sure it will be great when they are done but I'd hold off until then. It will be worth it.

Room Tip: The lake side seemed very quiet but you can hear a freeway everywhere in California.
1  Thank NY10040

Good morning,

From your profile I can see that you are a very experienced traveler and I am so pleased you had a great experience during your stay at our property. We are currently under construction, but I would encourage you to not be deterred by this. Our lobby renovation is mostly cosmetic, which limits the noise, and subsequent disruption to our guests. It is going to be quite something when it is complete however, and I look forward to seeing you in the new lobby at check-in. On your next visit please feel free to reach out to me personally. I will see what I can do about getting you that elusive bowl of cereal :) Have a wonderful day. Warm regards,

Reviewed February 1, 2013

I was so surprised. I am not a huge fan of the Wyndham brand - however this is an exception. This newly renovated property was a delight to stay. I only wish i could have stayed longer. The staff was fantastic, rooms well appointed and the "design touch" thru out the entire property was a feast to the artistic eyes. I look forward to staying here again soon!

1  Thank ronald k
Sloan S, Front Office Manager at Avenue of the Arts Costa Mesa, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Ronald,

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Your appreciation of our design and renovations is greatly appreciated. We are here to please our guests and ensure they have a memorable stay. We look forward to seeing you again soon! Please feel free to reach out to me directly so I can assist you in planning your next visit. Thank you very much for your time. Warm regards,

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Great location in Avenue of the Arts. Within driving distance of popular spots (including the north entrance to Disney Park). Silver Trumpet, the hotel restaurant and bar, serves great brunch. Hardwood floor rooms and granite bathrooms. The only drawback of the hardwood floor is if by chance you are in an adjoining room and you have a loud neighbor next door--the adjoining door does not best insulate for sound. Front staff hotel could use some customer service improvement. Silver Trumpet staff are way nicer! Great stay, overall. Stayed Jan18-Jan 22.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not adjoining another room. Quieter that way.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jaellabella

Good afternoon,

I was pleased to hear you had a positive experience, however the service you experienced disappointed me. I can ensure that our 4 diamond service standard is above the level experienced in your previous stay. Please reach out to me directly. I would love to invite you back and personally show you an experience that will truly meet, and exceed, your expectations. Thank you very much for your time. Warm regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Costa Mesa
Hilton Orange County / Costa Mesa
Island Hotel Newport Beach
Island Hotel Newport Beach
#2 of 18 in Newport Beach

Been to Avenue of the Arts Costa Mesa, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel? Share your experiences!