Avenue of the Arts Costa Mesa, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel
GreenLeadersGold level
California
“Birthday weekend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

For my birthday my husband took me to see a musical at the Segerstrom Center of the Arts. This was the closest hotel which is why we picked it. It was perfect. They are remodeling but it didn't really impact us. We had a Kind Jr suite with lake view. The room has a living area with sofa, chair, coffee table and dinning table with 2 chairs and tv. Very comfortable. Bedroom was a bit small but really only slept in there since we had living room. Bathroom was also a bit small but nicely decorated. Room had coffee pot, mini bar and frig. Just did self park because the structure is right there. 24 hour room service is always something we like for a late night sweet treat. Lobby bar is small but nice with yummy spicy popcorn. Staff was very nice. Pool small but hotel is not big so I guess that is ok. They didn't have towels out when we sat in the hot tub with our morning coffee but after the request they got them right out. We will definitely stay here again on our next trip to the theater.

Room Tip: The lake view 6th floor is really nice. They have sliding doors that open for fresh air.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robin V

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
san diego
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

I was so excited to getaway by myself for the weekend. Booked this hotel, got a great deal through hotwire.com. When i showed up, hotel was easy to find and a great location. Checking in was a breeze. Everyone at the front desk was friendly and helpful. Checking into the room...was gorgeous, I was very satisfied with the room. Decided to order room service, I got the boca burger. Room service was very prompt in delivering my order. Food was horrible. The bun was soggy and full of oil and burger patty looked like it wasn't cooked at all. Had to go out and get something to eat. Minus the food mishap i was very pleased with my stay until i got home. Noticed an extra fee on my credit card and called the hotel. First time i called i got transferred to no one. 2nd time i called i was transferred to billing which he looked up my bill and said that i was charged for missing towels in the room. I explained that i was by myself and did not take the towels. He said he didn't know anything about that and transferred me to housekeeping where i was transferred again to where i had to leave a message. Nothing got resolved and will never stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

The hotel is beautiful and so are the rooms I got except for a dirty man sock I found under the bed. I prepaid online but they still require a credit card to hold. Ok i can deal with that considering I don't trust anyone with my credit card. What pissed me off the most was that I found a double charged on my card for what I thought was a parking fee. I called front desk and was told it was charges for missing towels?? WTF!!! I was soo insulted! Just because I'm Asian that doesn't mean I go steal cheap [--] towels! I got transfered to housekeeping which got only the answering machine. I called back to speak to a manager and he said it will take some time before he can look up my files to see what's going on. Great customer service =(. I work at a casino so I understand all about customer service and YOU DO NOT TELL A GUEST THAT IT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME BECAUSE YOU ARE BUSY WITH OTHER STUFF!!!!!! That's rude. I asked him why wasn't there a charge for parking because I clearly drove a car there and signed a receipt for it. He said there's a computer glitched. Well genius, could it be that you screwed up and charged me for missing bath towels instead of parking??!!!! God, who owns this hotel? I would like a word with him/her.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
St. George, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

This place is great. People friendly and helpful, very clean and bright, nice grounds, "lake" side rooms offer a quiet little oasis in the middle of the city, patio doors that open on to small "balcony", big bathroom with huge shower, almost soundless a/c & heating unit, comfy king size beds, lower floors soundless, price when we stayed quite economical for such a nice hotel.
NOTHING is free, except the shuttle, so know that before you check in or you will not be a happy camper. Restaurant expensive but this is Southern California so that's par for the course.

Room Tip: It would seem that the lower rooms would be best as you'll miss the noise of the planes (airport...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Wildwood, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

I have stayed at this establishment weekly since October (2 months) and offer the following comments as to my stay here:

1) Most folks think it is a drag to stay at a hotel that is undertaking renovation; there has never been an instance that the new construction has interrupted my sleep, or any time spent at the hotel.

2) The new renovations are absolutely fantastic; this being the place to stay gets defined further and further daily by the improvements happening (Kudos owners).

3) This hotel is within walking distance from the mall, theaters, and restaurants, all within a few blocks walking distance; location, location, location . . .

Since I stay here often, I wish to offer these comments as well:

4) The Silver Trumpet Restaurant is awesome. Not being a Buffet guy, I am very pleased that they offer a hot cooked breakfast, to your order and make it a nice change from morning-to-morning.

5) Let's talk staff at the Silver Trumpet . . . I am greeted each morning by folks that I am beginning to consider family; they talk to me by name and make sure that the beginning to my day (very important) is care free, and allows me the time to get the Caffeine to Oxygen Ratio (C2O) correct (thanks Kara, Brandie, Emma, Jorge, and others) for your pleasant presence each morning).

6) Housekeeping is fantastic, paying attention to detail . . . They are the most honest folks around too, as I asked at the front desk "I leave $10 each morning, as a tip for the housekeeping staff, why won't they take it?" . . . I have to leave a special note to say "This money is for you," or, I have no doubt, I could leave a $100 bill and it would be there when I return.

7) The registration desk is great as well, handling the littlest of issues (like 'my romm card doesn't work the parking gate") with rapid professionalism; thanks Richie and the others (I apologize I am horrible with names, but they ALL rock!)

8) Last, but not least, I wish to thank the CEO (Chief Entertainment Officer) Jose' who handles the Silver Trumpet bar amazingly; we never want for anything as long as Jose' is around . . . Hat's off to Jose' . . .

Owners, your improvements demonstrate your commitment to providing your guests the BEST place to stay. Keep up the good work, I can only await the completion of the new improvements, and say "Wow!"

Regards,

The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
#9 of 17 in Newport Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,498 reviews

Been to Avenue of the Arts Costa Mesa, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel? Share your experiences!