“Great location”

The Westin South Coast Plaza
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 24, 2007

Generally consistent with experiences at most Westins but because I arrived late they stuck me in a parlor room with a pull down bed. The bed itself was OK but did not have a comfortable headboard and the room was definitely not lit for that bed; there were no lights within easy reach of the bed. They tried to compensate with a restaurant credit but they could have done much better than that.

The best thing about this hotel is the location, close to South Coast Plaza shopping and the airport. It's also really nice to have a convenient shuttle service to the airport from the hotel that leaves every 30 minutes.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business

Reviewed January 23, 2007

As a Platinum SPG member, I have stayed in many Westin properties for business and recreation.

The Westin South Coast Plaza hotel was a real disappointment. The manager, Alfredo does not provide a level of customer service and integrity worthy of the Westin name.

When I returned to my suite after an evening meeting, one of the 2 doors to the hallway was left ajar after the turndown service. So potentially dangerous and unsafe!

In addition, the next day a treasured diamond necklace was stolen from my room by the housekeeper. I had forgotten to put it on that morning before I checked out and knew right where I had left it in the room. I called the hotel immediately upon leaving the airplane to let them know exactly where I had left it. I was informed that housekeeping had already been to my room and had not turned in anything.

When the security staff read the lock, they confirmed that the housekeeper was the only person to enter my room. When confronted by staff, the housekeeper claimed to have never seen my necklace.

I never got my necklace back but eventually (2 months later) got a refund for the purchase price from Starwood along with many bonus Starwood points. This was appreciated but still does not bring back my necklace, which I so dearly loved!

Westin's in general are fantastic, this one is sadly an exception to the rule. Alfredo the manager needs to rein in his staff better and not allow theft!

I won't hold this negative experience against all Starwood properties, but definitely will not choose to stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled on business
4  Thank FrequentTravelerPDX
Reviewed November 20, 2006

Stayed overnight for a business event. Everything was excellent! A shuttle car picked me up at John Wayne airport for free and was where I was told it would be. The staff was helpful and very friendly. The hotel itself is in excellent condition and very clean. My room was big and surprisingly quiet given the location of the hotel and the bed was extremely comfortable. Getting on the internet for a fee was very easy. I didn't use the pool or gym. Overall a very good business hotel and highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank sebibond1
Reviewed October 27, 2006

This is one of the nicer Westins I have stayed at.

The room is large and geared toward biz traveler. I don't travel for biz but the room was nice nonetheless. The pool and fitness center were good.

The best thing about this hotel, I think is its location. It is right next to the 405 freeway and only minutes from Newport Beach and other attractions in OC.

Stayed: September 2006
1  Thank SDWanderlust
Reviewed September 8, 2006

This is the 3rd time I have stayed at this hotel both for business and pleasure. The hotel definitely caters to the business set, however, it’s also great for leisure travelers especially if you come on a weekend when it tends to be fairly quiet. It has a nice pool, workout room, nice size rooms with the ultra-comfy Westin signature beds and showers. You can walk to south coast plaza for a variety of eating options and beaches are only a short drive away (less than 15 minutes for most). There is even a nice reasonably priced deli in walking distance (open on the weekends) for a good breakfast or lunch option for the family. Yes, you pay a little more for incidentals like parking and internet but it’s what most city hotels do and it’s not outrageous compared to a lot of other metropolitan hotels I have stayed in and the parking is plentiful. The front desk staff was very helpful and accommodating.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with friends
1  Thank flygalaz
Reviewed July 29, 2006

We loved the spacious rooms and the friendly service at the Westin South Coast Plaza. Rooms include wonderful amenities such as a refrigerator, an extra long bureau/desk, luxurious bedding, double-headed shower and a nice chaise for TV watching or relaxing, making this a very comfortable place to stay. There is also a lovely pool with sundeck area as well as a very pleasant and well-equipped exercise facility, both of which we appreciated during our stay. This is a great location for a family, given the beach a short drive from the hotel and the upscale mall connected by a walkway. Our family of two parents and two teens (ages 16 and 19) really enjoyed staying here for 3 days on our vacation. The number and range of restaurant choices within walking distance of this hotel is greater than any we have ever seen in a single location. On the last day of our stay, we dropped our plans to drive up to Hollywood (it is a bit of a journey up to the LA sights, and the freeway does get tiresome) and just stayed in the area to shop, enjoy the hotel pool, take in a movie opening and get dinner. Mom and Dad were willing to spring for a nice steakhouse (with several choices in the area, including Morton's), but the boys convinced us that TGI Friday's would be fine for them. So we simply left the car in the hotel garage (its a breeze to self-park, but the valet service was superb as well), and walked to dinner. After dinner, my husband and I enjoyed a walk through the mall, and then had a nightcap and dessert in the hotel restaurant, another lovely choice that also serves a wonderful breakfast with a french flair. If your'e considering this Westin for a business conference, it is also a great location to consider bringing the family because there is so much to do and the rooms are so spacious and comfortable. If you want a destination shopping trip, this location is ideal.

Stayed: June 2006
4  Thank deniseddavis
Reviewed July 8, 2006

Just stayed here for two nights. Our room was lovely, very large, with a park/city view. There was a desk, very long bureau and side tables done in shiny, black lacquor. The heavenly Westin bed was very comfortable. Near the window was a large chaise. The bathroom had an extremely long counter with one sink. The shower in the tub had a double head which my husband found good. The exercise room was out by the pool. It didn't have too many machines but they were of good quality. A single bathroom provided a shower. The pool was long and deep and pretty warm. Unfortunately, there is no kiddie pool and little children were at the shallow end even at 9:15 p.m. I think that there should be a few adult only hours. Unlike many hotel pools this one didn't seem overly chlorinated. It really makes me uneasy to swim in the same water with the untoilet trained! The hotel lobby was in the middle of a renovation. I hope that our price reflected that. The usual pleasant bar is now in a tent and you have to walk outside and around the corner to reach Pinot Province for breakfast. There are some delicious choices for $12.50 which includes a tall glass of freshly squeezed o.j. and coffee. The granola came with yogurt, fresh berries and papaya. Another choice was a smoked salmon croque monsieur with cream cheese and a delicious onion marmelade. We returned for the spa lunch - 3 couses for $20. Same price for the businessman's lunch. They change daily, I think. Very nice hotel.

• Stayed: July 2006