“Not bad--I would stay there again.”

The Westin South Coast Plaza
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Not bad--I would stay there again.”
Reviewed July 2, 2009

This hotel was good. The rooms were clean, the double-headed shower is fun, the beds were comfortable, the restaurant in the hotel (though expensive) was good, the coffee shop was convenient, it was right next to a mall (yay!), and it was right next to the freeway. Also, there's very nice waterfall/pool area and a nice gym. For the price, it was great. Parking is expensive ($20) p/night so we ended up just parking at the mall. If I had to go to Orange again (which I really hope I don't), I would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Janell B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
SF Bay Area
Reviewed June 9, 2009

Recently opted to stay at the Westin South Coast location on a trip with the kids to Disneyland/CA Adventure. Even though it was a little drive up to the theme parks each day, the location offered my wife and I a little opportunity to enjoy the adult theme park called South Coast Plaza. We found the most of the staff to be well-trained, if not a little mechanical at times. Housekeeping Staff was superb and worked quite efficiently. Naturally, the Heavenly Bed is must after a day with kids at Disneyland. Rooms well cared for, just as you would expect with the Westin name.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 1, 2009

This is a comfortable Westin located just across the street from South Coast Plaza and convenient to the 405, 55 and 73 Freeways. Rooms are modern and comfortable and fairly large compared to other hotels in the area. The pool area is fairly small, though, and this would not be the best choice if you're on vacation with kids and want to spend days lounging in the sun.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
California
Reviewed May 28, 2009

+'s Location. Close to shopping. Updated room. Heated and deep pool. Nice bar. Friendly staff.
-'s Heafty parking rates- $20 a night, $28 Valet, "Heavenly Bed" not heavenly...very uncomfortable woke sore ea. morning and I'm a very fit person-like it was a cheap bed that was equipped to make it appear "Heavenly", work out room is nice, but was full of unsupervised kids for the 3 days I was there and finally, NO JACUZZI...don't be fooled thinking there is one by seeing pics of the pool.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed May 18, 2009

I originally booked the Wyndam, then after reading negative reviews both here and on other hotel review websites, felt that I would be better safe than sorry and switch to the Westin.

What a mistake that turned out to be. I know that people do not like to read negative reviews and I'll probably get "review not helpful" ratings, and for that reason, I hesitated to write this review. But I'd rather say what needs to be said, and have someone look elsewhere for accommodations when in the Costa Mesa area.

We arrived around 2:30pm. As a previous poster said, signage is terrible. You can see the Westin from the freeway, however once you get off the freeway, you can go in circles before you find the entrance to the Westin (and I have a GPS system). I had to ask a valet at a restaurant who directed me to the Westin entrance.
The lobby of the hotel was lovely, but that's where the loveliness stopped. There were three front desk clerks, all busily typing on their computers, while we stood and waited to be acknowledged. I would like to mention there were no guests at the front desk, nor on line, just my husband and I, with three clerks who were too busy to check us it. Finally one took pity on us and asked if he could help us. Check in was fast, but they were not very quick to offer help. If you didn't ask a question, you weren't told where to park, where the elevators were, etc.

Although the room was well appointed, the rug smelled like feet, unacceptable for a Motel 6, never mind a Westin, who prides themselves that they "indulge your senses." The bathroom had the heavenly two head shower, however, one head was turned off, for "conservation" purposes. Conservation of water, I do understand, but not the conservation of soap. I've never been to a hotel where you were given one bar of soap for both the sink and shower. There were only 2 bath towels, one hand towel, and 2 face cloths, so they were skimping on that too. The worst part of our experience was that the A/C system has a sensor, which I can understand if you are not in the room, you don't need the A/C on, however, I also do not pay Westin prices to enter a room that is so stuffy that you can't breathe, especially since I have asthma. Like I said, I can understand that if you're not in the room, the A/C goes off, however, because when you are sleeping (and there is no sensor activity to show someone is in the room) the A/C shuts off. We set the thermostat as low as we could, and I still felt warm in this room.
It was not a comfortable room, a "heavenly bed" does not make a warm room livable, never mind comfortable.

The only pros of this hotel were its location to the Orange County Performing Arts Center, where we were attending a play, and the South Coast Plaza across a pedestrian bridge. Also there was a coffee maker with Starbucks coffee in the room.

The cons far outweigh the pros: parking $28 for valet, $20 for self parking (Valets were very nice, but they were not Westin employees but of the private company who owned the parking structure); internet was $11.95 for 24 hours, stinginess on bathroom amenities (one soap, come on, give me a break), using the "we're green" excuse to deprive an asthmatic of air conditioning at night; unwelcoming and unhelpful front desk staff.

I am a Starwood Preferred member, and have stayed at other Westins, so I have nothing against the Westin name (read my review of Moana Surfrider, a Westin Hotel in Honolulu, Hawaii).
This hotel is an embarrassment to the Westin brand. If you're going to be visiting Costa Mesa, try another hotel, you'll pay less and probably be treated better.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AGentlRose
Houston, Texas
Reviewed April 30, 2009

First impression - the property is difficult to find. When we were driving down the street, there is no signage at ground level as you approach the property. We ended up having to cut through a restaurant's valet line. Sure, there is a big Westin sign at the top of the hotel, but that doesn't help if you are driving in an unfamilar city.

We attempted to check in around 2:30pm with a pre-paid reservation made through Starwood's website. The desk clerk did not acknowledge my Starwood Gold status and offered to put me in a room on the 4th floor. Not acceptable. So we agreed to wait for a room on a higher floor. Over an hour later, we got a room on the 11th floor. When I questioned why I was not getting a room on the Preferred level, the desk agent actually looked me in the eye and told me they "didn't have a Preferred floor". Which is a complete lie. I was aware that this property didn't have a "club floor". but as a Gold member, I should have been treated accordingly. Not lied to.

The property is ok. Across the street from the South Coast Plaza mall. We opted to park in the self-park lot ($20/day) . This worked out well because the valet staff was frequently busy or not there. The doormen were also very slow to respond. The pool looked nice, although it was too cold to swim.

Fortunately, the rooms and, specifically, the beds are up to Westin standards. Except for the first night, when we were awakeded at 2AM by screaming girls in the hallway, it was an uneventful and non-memorable stay.

I recommend trying Pizzeria Ortica which is right next door to the property.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Juilletdix
Eureka, CA
Reviewed April 17, 2009

My Mother, my partner and I and our 6 month old child had to make a fast trip down to Costa Mesa to attend to some family business. Got a crazy-low rate by booking through one of those sites where you purchase your stay before they tell you the name of the hotel. When I learned it was the Westin South Coast Plaza, I was a bit concerned that it would not be an appropriate place to bring the baby. But since I had already purchased the stay, we decided to try our luck.
Arrived at 8pm after a nine hour car trip. We were tired and hungry and cranky. The hotel was an oasis of calm. All of the service personnel were very solicitous and helpful. Check-in for the two rooms was smooth and easy. We all deided to stay in and order room service that night. I had a turkey BLT with an arugala side-salad and a glass of wine, my partner had a chicken ciabatta sandwich with the arugala salad and a cup of clam chowder, and my Mother reported that she got some kind of steak salad. Room service arrived within 20 minutes and the food was fresh and delicious and exactly what we needed. The bill came to $72 dollars for our two sandwiches, side salads, chowder and wine and included the service fee and 19% built-in gratuity. It was a bit pricey, but worth it to not have to get back in the car.
There did not appear to be any other small children staying at the hotel, but no-one made us feel unwelcome for having baby in tow and the walls were thick enough that when the baby cried, my mother couldn't hear him in the next room. Also, the room was nice and big, so we had plenty of room to set up the portable crib, our diaper-changing station, etc. Appreciated the Starbucks coffee that came with the in-room coffee maker and liquid half 'n' half that was provided in the room. I had to call the next morning and ask for more cream as housekeeping had failed to restock it. But the bellman brought it up within minutes, which was nice. Room was very clean, but I noticed that we were only given two towels/hand towels/washcloths. I called down to get more and again, they were quickly brought to our room. Overall, we had a very comfortable stay and will definitely return the next time we have to go back down.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
#8 of 17 in Newport Beach

Been to The Westin South Coast Plaza? Share your experiences!