“Great hotel, great service, weak food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin South Coast Plaza

The Westin South Coast Plaza
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Great hotel, great service, weak food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I travel for work and stay here every week. Most of the front desk reps even recognize me when I check in every monday. For the most part, I don't ask much of them. I go to work in the morning, work out in the evening, go to sleep at night. The room is always made up to perfection every day. I once had to stay here over a 2 week period and asked if there was another method of laundry service to avoid what would be a $250 laundry bill using their out-of-house service. They graciously offered to use the housekeeping facilities to wash my clothes. I'm sure that's an exception but one that went far in my book.

They only lose a star on the food and drink aspects. I expect to pay a premium for both but their entrees tend to be bland, boring, and somewhat meager portions. Their mixed drinks are on the weaker side as well. I typically avoid room service and the bar.

I hate to end the review on a bad note since I enjoy this hotel so much. As I said earlier, the rooms are great and the staff is fantastic. The location very useful for me since I work right down the road but you also have quick access to the freeway to go to Newport Beach, LA, or San Diego. This is a quality hotel and I will continue to stay here.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
      Location
    • 5 of 5 stars
CostaMesaWestin, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin South Coast Plaza, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Dear Kevin C,
Thank you for letting us know that you truly enjoyed your stay. We appreciate the feedback regarding to our in-room dining and lobby lounge. We take your feedback very serious and truly care about what your personal preference is so we can continue to improve.
Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Westin is a great brand; it's even better overseas. My first time at this location was a delight. Greeted with a warm smile upon check in (sadly this is a lost art these days). The front desk was empathetic to my needs and introduced me to the bellman. Convenient location to 405 Fwy and across the street from perhaps the best shopping mall in the country. Ill be back.

Room Tip: Keep in mind that if your room faces over the pool and waterfall, the live music may keep you up if...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
Dear Esqtodd,
Thank you for providing us feedback that our team welcomed you with empathy. It is very important to us that our team delivers the experience that helps you feel at your best.
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

I arrived lat on a Friday night greated by the young front desk associate. I had asked where the nearest CVS was and shee asked what was I looking to purchase. When I stated cold medication she came from the back with several samples for me to choose from. The expereince did not end there. She closed the experience out by asking if I would liket some soup and crackers sent to the room. Very good example of reading my needs.
Hotel was clean.... long lings at Starbucks. Really like the complimentary self-park across the street. great visit!!!

Room Tip: Unload out front and drive around the corner to self park in garage.
Green Features: Make a green choice option on cleaning the room. options to full fluss or low flow flush. Paperliss billing.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Location
Dear msneen,
It is great that our front office staff was able to assist with your experience when you came. We look forward to your return.
Cypress, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

I was a coordinator for an event held at the westin south coast plaza. The event was for approximately 100 people, a 20 year class reunion. The banquet room was set up on time and even early. I asked the captain, Jose Ornelas, for another table. He quickly set it up, no questions asked. In fact, whatever I needed, the wait staff, under the direction of Jose, took care of it.
Our event was a buffet dinner, which was quite tasty. It included lots of fresh vegetables and other healthy choices. The wait staff are very well trained, prompt and courteous. Jose appears low key but clearly is in control.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dear janeyjans,
Thank you for choosing our property for your meeting. It is great to hear that Jose from our Banquet team made all the difference.
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

Spent four days here for business. All of the meetings were held on property. Very nice rooms and overall very clean. Great place for business meetings. You can use your own rental car or the transit system which is a close walk. Also very close to the airport.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
Dear Mark G,
Thank you for coming to our hotel for your business needs. We are glad to hear that your meeting experience met your expectations.
LAS VEGAS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

The staff was exceptional, as was the service. We ordered room service after 11pm, it arrived quickly and steaming, it wasn't the best burger I ever ate (bone particles), rather pricey, but it filled the void.
The bed was comfortable, the room was clean.
Was NOT happy with the high parking fee per day. With the cost of the room, I felt it should have been complimentary, at the very least, cheaper.
Location is great, walk to South Coast Plaza, restaurants, and a nice park.
Would I stay here again, absolutely!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Rooms
Dear CKTLS4U,
Thank you for letting us know that the staff was exceptional. We strive to deliver experiences that are memorable. Thank you for staying with us.
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I got a room here because its one of the hotels your could have pets stay in. Rather surprised when the valet here told us how much parking would be but still pleased with our choice. Westin's bar and lobby area was stunning as was the water fall outside. Our room was quite clean and comfortable. All in all an enjoyable stay.

Stayed August 2014
Dear janiemygirl,
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Look forward to seeing you on your next stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Costa Mesa
Fairmont Newport Beach
Fairmont Newport Beach
#10 of 17 in Newport Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 1,355 reviews

Been to The Westin South Coast Plaza? Share your experiences!