“Education & Fun in Costa Mesa”

The Westin South Coast Plaza
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Attended a conference and stayed at the Westin South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The room was comfortable and clean. We appreciated having two comfortable chairs, instead of one. There was a selection of good teas and the coffee was good in the room. Had to call for maid service at 4:30 PM one day, but the hotel compensated us by removing extra charges. Large mall, theatre, and many good restaurants are nearby. Would return if I have another conference at this Westin.

Room Tip: No suggestions.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
CostaMesaWestin, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin South Coast Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2014

Dear Ron H,
Thank you for staying with us. Glad to hear that you felt the team was helpful and friendly during your visit.

There are newer reviews for The Westin South Coast Plaza

Reviewed June 1, 2014

This was my 4th visit to this property and it certainly will not be my last. For this past stay, my husband and I took a long weekend get-away for our wedding anniversary. When we checked in, we were warmly welcomed back by the front desk agent, and upon entering the room, we found chocolate covered strawberries a bottle of champagne, and a lovely Anniversary card signed by the staff. The housekeeping staff were extremely detail-oriented, and our room was always immaculate and well-appointed when we returned from our various outings. Love the staff, love the location, love this hotel!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
CostaMesaWestin, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin South Coast Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Dear azsnapdragon,
It is so great to hear that we made an impact on your stay that was special.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

I have stayed at the Westin, South Coast Plaza many time. My experiences have been uneven. I choose the hotel as I travel for business and it is close to the airport. In addition, the hotel is attached to a mall with many great restaurants nearby.

This stay started well. I was greeted by a friendly staff person. The hotel lobby is nice and I was offered my Starwood benefits. The room was clean and spacious. My request for a quiet room was honored. There was a power-strip connected to the desk so it was easy to plug in my computer, tablet, phone, etc. Everything was good so far.

When it came time to catch my 5:00 am shuttle to the airport, I went to the lobby a few minutes early. I asked if there was any coffee and there was not. But, a nice front desk person offered me a cup from the employee machine in the back. Thanks—that was a truly nice gesture. The problem was that the shuttle driver had not arrived on time to work. He was five minutes late, which I admit is not a big deal, but at five in the morning, I found this to be truly annoying. I waited wondering how late he was going to be. The employee, while not rude, he was not apologetic. Poor way to end a decent stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Russ H

Dear Russ H,
Thank you for your feedback regarding to your stay. We hope we have you on your next stay with us.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

We live locally but wanted to have a weekend excursion without leaving town. My husband booked the Shopper's Delight package and we had a fabulous time enjoying the free valet parking at South Coast Plaza, accessing the VIP lounge after shopping all day and topped off the night with free dining at Scott's (using the gift certs). Jonathan (reservations) and Vickie (front desk) greeted us with a warm welcome upon entry and upgraded us to a wonderful room on the top floor. It was all in all a wonderful Westin weekend, we are definitely returning soon for another fabulous weekend excursion.

Room Tip: The park view was spectacular.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Laura P

Dear Laura P,
The hotel is truly a "shoppers delight." We hope that we will have you on our next visit.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

I had a complex stay booked at this hotel: several nights, with family members all arriving and leaving at different times. The staff at the hotel easily coped with what I thought might be difficult issues. The front desk staff were very helpful and fulfilled all our complex requests with ease. We had a wonderful stay, largely due to the front desk, valet and airport shuttle staff. Thanks!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Dear Chris W,
Glad to hear you felt your experience was excellent.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Here's the yin and the yang of the Westin South Coast Plaza.

Lobby and public areas -- GORGEOUS
Guest rooms -- Appropriate only for those dying to have a 'Best Western' experience

Customer Service At Dining Areas and Bar -- VERY POLITE AND PLEASANT
Customer Service at Front Desk -- Apathetic bordering on rude

I could do the "patterns" thing all day long. But to bring some heft to the discussion, the South Coast Plaza has spent large amounts of money and care on its public areas, but is apparently leaving its guest rooms for last. Since I can't sleep in the lobby, I need to give more weight to my room, which was borderline dirty -- with mildew in the shower and lots of dust covering the A/C unit. The front desk wasn't too concerned with my upset, as I was told there weren't any other rooms available because of some business meetings taking up quite a few of the rooms. Oh well -- SPG Gold status means little to nothing to this Westin. Maybe I should check out a nearby Best Western next time around to OC...

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank CleoPatraLaJolla

Dear CleoPatraLa,
Thank you for your valuable feedback regarding to your experience. Our team takes your comments very serious and are dedicated to taking action on any guest concerns. We hope we get another opportunity to deliver for you.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

This hotel was the complete package: great service, wonderful location, perfect accommodations. My only complaint was that since this was a business stay, I didn't have enough time to enjoy the hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms I have stayed in have been good rooms
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Dear Duggle1,
Thank you for letting us know that it was a wonderful visit for you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Costa Mesa
Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
#7 of 18 in Newport Beach

Been to The Westin South Coast Plaza? Share your experiences!