“Not the best”

The Westin South Coast Plaza
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 26, 2013

On a business trip service is important and this Westin is lacking. Constant WiFi problems, and I was given phone number to call -- remote -- little help. Antiquated cables in rooms. No plugs for devices. Confusing in-room amenities. With a little upgrade these rooms could be more functional.

Pleasant but not helpful responses from the front desk, even the supervisor. I guess it starts with management and apparently something here is lacking. Actually, I'm a little surprised, since this is a Westin and I came for a conference.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank doctoryes
CostaMesaWestin, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin South Coast Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Dear doctoryes,
We appreciate your feedback. My apologies we were not able to deliver on your business needs when you were with us. We strive to deliver an experience for our guests that allows them to reach their potential. We will continue to work on business solutions that are seamless for our guests.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

The best in "The OC"! Gorgeous, modern, clean rooms, wonderful service, and South Coast Plaza is just across the convenient walk-way. All the high-end shopping (and wonderful restaurants) close at hand.

Love it! I would never stay anywhere else when in Orange County.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
CostaMesaWestin, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin South Coast Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear Adelle I,
Thank you so much for staying with us. We look forward to your return visit.
Guest Relations Manager.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

This is a bare bones Westin. It is located close to the 405 which makes it easy to get to other neighborhoods and locations. It is also right next to South Coast Plaza Mall not that I am a shopper but it is handy for a forgotten item or two.
There are two Starbucks within walking distance, one is in the mall just inside the entrance on the left. The other is down the street and around the corner near Quiznos. Since Wi-fi is free at Starbucks and not at hotel, I opted for Starbucks where I can get a free refill with my registered card. The hotel does have a Westin on the Go in the lobby that sells Starbucks coffee, bakery items, yogurt and fruit. But, Starbucks opens at 6:30am and Westin on the go at 7:00am. Obviously, no complimentary coffee in the lobby. They do serve fruit flavored water all day long in serve yourself.

The workout room had treadmills and two elliptical machines. There was also a free weight set-up. I decided to go to the street for a run as I did not want to wait for a machine to open up. It is the worst workout room I have ever seen although it has a view of the pool.

The room itself was fine but they were rehabbing the waterfall and it was noisy during the day. No shower cap in the bathroom, no sewing kit, just soap, shampoo and cream rinse. No complimentary q-tips or nail file.

I never ordered room service, nor did I eat in the hotel as I was so close to other options. I had little faith they could pull off a meal.

The self parking was a pain in the neck but manageable. Since valet parking is $28/night. I opted for $20/night in the lot just across the street (an internal street so not busy at all). But Westin guests have to park on the 5th floor. There is an elevator, it took time but certainly worth saving the valet premium.

The hotel was always cold however, I was able to adjust my room temperature.

As a 14 year Starwood member this is the weakest property we have ever stayed in. It barely felt like they were in the hotel business. They pushed nothing but did nothing

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear nycgirl20,
We appreciate your feedback on your experience with us. Our team strives to deliver memorable experiences to our valued guest. We will continue to work hard to make those connections with our guests and hope that we are given another opportunity to provide you with the service experience you expect from Westin.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights whilst in LA with my wife as we got a good web deal. The room was good and we had a view over the pool which was nice. The facilities (pool and gym) were also good. The issue with the hotel is that there isn't much that a traveller would want to do within walking distance so that means you really need a car. My biggest issue with the hotel was the cost of parking, which ended up costing us about $30 a night extra, which is not unusual but still rich. This could have been a little cheaper had we opted for the self-parking option but when we arrived at the hotel it wasn't clear that this was available.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear PeterJForster,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Westin South Coast Plaza. We hope you will make a return visit to our hotel when you are in the area again.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

There are so many longer and more detailed reports here I will just keep this simple:

* After staying away from this property for two years and staying exclusively at the Irvine Hyatt down the road I broke down and tried the Westin SCP again. (So, no Mr. CS Manager I will not give you another chance).
* I am Starwood Platinum and Hyatt Diamond. I am not flashing those as badges but am pointing this out just to say that I know good hotels and I know bad hotels. This is a bad Westin and is mediocre in the grand scheme of things.
* Internet speeds are all over the map and on the first day completely unusable.
* DOGS! I know this hotel is marketed as "pet friendly" but it is ridiculous! We passed 8 or 9 dogs just heading to/from our room and out the door of the lobby.
* DOGS! How hygienic is it to have dogs *sitting at the table* in the lobby bar/restaurant area? No, I don't mean under the table or next to the table I mean AT THE TABLE--sitting in a chair pushed up to the table side. This fact that this is allowed is enough for me to write this place off once again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gary H

Dear Gary H,
My sincere apologies for your experience. Your feedback is extremely important to us and we appreciate you letting us know how we failed to deliver on your experience. We will do everything in our power to make this right. We do accept dogs and it is not our policy to allow them in our dining areas. We will revisit this policy with our team members to ensure it is followed consistently.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

Spent one night before a trip to Mexico, and what can I say. Nice but not a great room, the best qualities are its proximity to South Coast Plaza, the South Coast Repertory, and Performing Arts Center. Close to John Wayne (Orange County) airport. No free wifi, but if gotten on a discount a nice place to stay. Not a destination hotel, though.

Room Tip: Check for discounts on the hotel websites
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Qualnurse,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your visit. We are glad to hear that our location met all your needs. We strive to deliver on experiences for our guest. We hope you will give our hotel another opportunity to deliver on your expectations.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

We stayed here for one night when we were attending a performance at the Performing Arts Complex which is right next door. The location was great, from the hotel there is a bridge walkway straight across to the Plaza stores across the road. Very convenient. The staff are nice as you would expect from an exclusive hotel. The decor was beautiful. The bar was nice and served food that came out quickly. The drawback is that the staff are so sterilised they lose some of that genuine warmth that smaller hotels have.The room we had looked out across the pool and gym and was nicely appointed. There was a bit of noise from adjoining rooms of children being noisy or throwing something or other. Not very well soundproofed. Maybe they dont expect much noise.
Very nice though.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
CostaMesaWestin, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin South Coast Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

Dear AustraliaAust,
Thank you so much for your feedback. We are glad that you felt the property met your needs. We will share your feedback regarding the staff with our team to ensure we can improve on your expectations.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Costa Mesa
Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
#7 of 18 in Newport Beach

Been to The Westin South Coast Plaza? Share your experiences!