“Location nirvana, outstanding room service, but inconvenient parking”

The Westin South Coast Plaza
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 24, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in February for a family birthday weekend, meeting several other family members travelling from across the country. All in all, we had four rooms, two of which were adjoining. Everyone was comfortable in their rooms with no issues. The rooms were fine - right up the middle for Westin, with the usual fabulous beds. The water quality in Southern California takes some getting used to and we all had the odd feeling of needing to take a shower after taking a shower. The water left an odd slimy feeling residue on the skin. But that is surely not the fault of the Westin.

What they can do something to improve is the parking situation. The garage is adjacent to the hotel, but the process of getting in and out of the garage was unnecessarily difficult and confusing. At different times, they would require that we tell them our name and room number as we were pulling out of the garage, and then the attendant would be physically searching a printed list for our name. This did not happen every time. Sometimes there was no attendant and we came and went as we pleased. I suspect valet would have made this whole process easier, but somehow that option was not one that was affirmatively offered.

Coming and going from the parking lot played heavily because the location of the hotel was so amazing. It is literally 5 minutes from John Wayne, and it was about 25 minutes to Disneyland. We also spent quite a bit of time in Newport Beach, which was only about 15-20 minutes away. Had an exquisite meal at Mastro's Ocean Club - definitely worth the drive to go to that Mastro's rather than the one at the mall across the street.

That said, the mall across the street is a ridiculous convenience. The open-air walking bridge which keeps you from having to cross the busy 6 lane boulevard ends right at the entrance to the mall where there is a Rain Forest Cafe right downstairs. My kids and the babysitter had a wonderful meal there and the walk there and back is perfect to get jet-lagged kids (11 and 6) a little exercise and fresh air. (I found at the last minute that I'd forgotten to pack a top, and did the bridge walk myself, though it was more of a jog - and I circled through the entire South Coast Plaza in about an hour. Whew! That was a workout! Incredible selection of stores ranging from H&M to Club Monaco to all the high-end shops like Jimmy Choo, Chanel, etc.).

One evening, while the grandparents were watching the kids, my hubby and I went down to the hotel bar. It was packed with a very not-ethnically-diverse after-theater crowd, which was all that much more noticable because the lounge lights were kept on unusually high. It definitely didn't have a settle-in-and-stay kind of vibe. Can't be all things, and if you have to cut corners, then late night hotel lounge ambiance is an OK corner to cut in my book.

Overall, our stay was terrific. We ordered room service at least three times and it was the best quality food I've ever had by room service in any hotel - not only was it delicious, but the selections were healthy, and it was delivered very promptly. Great family hotel experience - not premier, but with some genuine highlights and excellent location.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank husbus
CostaMesaWestin, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin South Coast Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2012

Dear husbus,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your visit. It is delightful to read your comments about how perfect the location of our hotel is. It sounds like we have an opportunity to work on with the self parking offerings. I have shared your feedback regarding to your renewing experience with our In-Room dining. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed March 19, 2012

The Staff at this hotel is top notch - from front desk, to valet, to cleaning folks. Friendly, helpful, kind. The hotel is located near a huge mall (walking distance) for fabulous shopping and many dining options. One night we chose room service for dinner and the food was timely and delicious! I stayed on the 8th floor with view of the park. The only downside I can see is the charge for parking. Self parking in the garage close to the hotel is $20 per night, with Valet being $28 (plus tip). So when calculating your daily rate add that to your bill. There are no other close by options for a possible free place to park.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Susannie

Dear Susannie,
We will share your feedback with our team that you feel they are "Top Notch." Our team will truly appreciate knowing that. Thank you for your feedback regarding the parking fees. We will share this with the appropriate management. We hope your travels bring your return visits to our hotel.

Reviewed March 13, 2012

We have stayed here a number of times, annually, on business. We travel from New Zealand and after a 12 hour flight, it's nice to arrive and find familiar surroundings. Certainly, the hotel is a little dated, but in the years I've been coming nothing has deteriorated. Previously, I have stayed when improvements were being made, which is encouraging. The rooms are a good size, beds super comfortable, lovely amenities, perhaps an overzealous shower head and the main reason for our trip is the proximity to South Coast Plaza. Regarding this trip, I found everything as I've come to expect, although exceeding my expectations would be a nice surprise one day. The only issue this time was the slow service in the lobby bar (we were there both days about 6pm), I say slow, but one day there was no service. My colleague was waiting to order drinks as was a guy sitting at the bar, who said he had been waiting for about 15 mins so far. Calling through the side door didn't bear any immediate fruit. Lucky we weren't dying of thirst, we just thought we were. My only criticsm (from all stays) is the lack of a free wi-fi service, each year I come, I wonder, maybe this time. But no, not yet, maybe next year.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Dear Juddster1,
We value your return visits to our hotel yearly. We take pride in our building so our guests' have a renewing visit. We anticipate having free wireless internet in our lobby starting late this year. We look forward to your return visits.

Reviewed February 29, 2012

I have been staying at the Westin Costa Mesa consistently for over a year. I feel that Tam D., Cheryl K., and My D. who work in the lobby Starbucks deserve special recognition. They are incredibly attentive and always friendly to their customers. They would start my drink for me as soon as I turned the corner and always greeted me by name.

I hope the hotel appreciates the work of these individuals as they make all the difference when choosing to stay at a place!

Mike D

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business

Dear Michael D,
Thank you so much for taking the time to recognize our valued Guest Service Associates. I absolutely agree with you that employees make all the difference in choosing your travels. It is rewarding to hear that our staff made an emotional connection with you. We will make sure that they are recognized for your feedback. We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

I love the Westin brand and this hotel was better than a non Westin option but not overly impressive. It's got older bones but is decently updated. Parking is too expensive for Orange County) but it is a very convenient location if you are there for the shopping or theater ( I was not there for either). The grassy area was great for my dog especially since having recently moved to Phoenix, ANY grass is a pleasure!

Casual food options were limited to the hotel lobby or the mall next door. No kid friendly or vegan options. We would have walked over to the mall if my friend had brought a stroller.

One unsettling occurrence on my first night. I was at the lobby bar having a glass of wine when the fire alarm went off. Everyone in the lobby ignored it! The bartender, the patrons....I felt like I was in a twilight zone episode. A recorded message kept playing but it was unintelligible over the noise. So I asked the bartender if he knew what was going on. He shrugged and said "probably a false alarm", which is what it apparently ended up being.

I know OC is laid back but this was ridiculous!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank sherimba03
CostaMesaWestin, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin South Coast Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2012

Dear sherimba03,
Thank you so much for providing us with such valuable feedback. I can see why you were troubled by the response you received under the circumstances. This is not how we train our staff to respond during events of this nature. I can assure you that we will ensure that we provide appropriate guidance to our team to ensure a situation like this is handled better in the future. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will give us another opportunity to provide you with a memorable stay.
Guest Relations Managers

Reviewed February 20, 2012

This was definitely a very nice hotel. The rooms were spacious and the beds are very comfortable. The sheets and pillow were nice, too.

The lobby, restaurant and waterfall were beautiful. There is a bridge that leads you directly to the South Coast Plaza. Great stores and restaurants within the mall. So never run out of food options.

Indeed, it was a very elegant, laid back hotel. If I am in Costa Mesa again, I would definitely stay at this Westin.

Room Tip: I love that they allow pets; nice that dog beds are available :-)
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank BruinMom

Dear BruinMom,
I am so glad to hear that you felt our rooms were spacious and the beds are comfortable. The food options are truly endless in our area. It is nice to have a hotel you can stay and have everything you need at your fingertips.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

The Westin South Coast Plaza is comfortable and convenient to various Orange County attractions. Soast Coast Plaza is easily accessible via a foot bridge, and the performing arts center is adjacent. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. Rooms are attractive with flat screen HD TVs and Westin's great bedding. Doors tend to slam, which mars the otherwise quiet atmosphere. Great fitness center looking out at nice pool area. Too bad there isn't a hot tub!

Room Tip: Park view is preferable as the other side looks out at freeway.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends

Dear sobaytravelguy,
Being comfortable when you travel can be a number one priority. I am delighted to hear that you felt that you could rest when staying with us and our amenities met your needs perfectly. Look forward to your return.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Costa Mesa
Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach
Island Hotel Newport Beach
Island Hotel Newport Beach
#2 of 18 in Newport Beach

Been to The Westin South Coast Plaza? Share your experiences!