“Very nice room”

The Westin South Coast Plaza
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 20, 2012

This was definitely a very nice hotel. The rooms were spacious and the beds are very comfortable. The sheets and pillow were nice, too.

The lobby, restaurant and waterfall were beautiful. There is a bridge that leads you directly to the South Coast Plaza. Great stores and restaurants within the mall. So never run out of food options.

Indeed, it was a very elegant, laid back hotel. If I am in Costa Mesa again, I would definitely stay at this Westin.

Room Tip: I love that they allow pets; nice that dog beds are available :-)
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank BruinMom
CostaMesaWestin, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin South Coast Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2012

Dear BruinMom,
I am so glad to hear that you felt our rooms were spacious and the beds are comfortable. The food options are truly endless in our area. It is nice to have a hotel you can stay and have everything you need at your fingertips.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

The Westin South Coast Plaza is comfortable and convenient to various Orange County attractions. Soast Coast Plaza is easily accessible via a foot bridge, and the performing arts center is adjacent. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. Rooms are attractive with flat screen HD TVs and Westin's great bedding. Doors tend to slam, which mars the otherwise quiet atmosphere. Great fitness center looking out at nice pool area. Too bad there isn't a hot tub!

Room Tip: Park view is preferable as the other side looks out at freeway.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends

Dear sobaytravelguy,
Being comfortable when you travel can be a number one priority. I am delighted to hear that you felt that you could rest when staying with us and our amenities met your needs perfectly. Look forward to your return.

Reviewed February 18, 2012

Second time to visit this nice hotel. Excellent service; all staff are friendly and professional. Very nice pool area with beautiful fountains and comfy lounge chairs-a real treat to this sun-deprived Pacific Northwesterner! Large rooms and comfy beds & linens. My only complaint is the optional $12.95 daily charge for Internet; ridiculous! Just charge more for the room but include internet!

Room Tip: Ask for a lower-floor room facing the fountains & pool
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business

Dear NurseNancy12,
We take pride in delivering experiences that make an emotional connection with our guests'. It appears we did just that for you based on your comments of "Excellent Service." I appreciate the feedback regarding the internet fee and will communicate your thoughts up our management channels to see what we can do about that.
Guest Relations Manager.

Reviewed February 16, 2012

Okay, here's the thing: if you pay more for a hotel, you should get more, not less. Sure, the beds are nice. Fine, there are two heads in the shower. But in this day and age, wi-fi in the room is table stakes. I get free wi-fi at McDonalds, where I buy a $2 hamburger. This is a $250/night room. For business people. It's not just absurd that they want to charge for wi-fi, it's insulting.

Okay, here's a bit of good to counter the whinging: Kenna was working the counter that day when we checked in, and I made no secret of my disdain for their stupid policy. She upgraded us to Starwood suites, where wi-fi is included. Thanks, Kenna, you're a doll. She also worked very hard to get dinner reservations for myself and my travelling companions on the evening of Valentine's Day, no mean feat. Thanks again, Kenna.

But when I get to my room, why is every piece of paper in the room either trying to sell me something from the room, or trying to convince me to give up a service in order to save the earth? Say, if you decline housekeeping we'll give you a $5 voucher...and you'll save the planet. Oh, and you'll save us about $10/room which, in the aggregate, is a heck of a lot of money for us. Oh, and you'll save the planet.

A whole catalog offering me the robe, the pillows, the sheets, the desk, the rug...all at ridiculous prices. And it's a hotel room, for goodness sake, not Macy's. Stop selling me things in my room. It makes you seem desperate and grasping, not high-end and luxurious. Luxury means making me believe you love me and want nothing but to care for me, not that you want more of my money at every turn, when I've already given you more money than a month's rent in some places for one night. Seriously, stop it.

Okay, I'm not the Westin's target market. I don't wear striped shirts with white collars, and I don't drive two years' salary. But I go to them often enough on my company's dime, and I have to say that I'd rather stay elsewhere. Sorry, Westin. Don't worry, though, I wasn't going to buy the sheets anyway.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank John C

Dear John_D_Collins,
I am disappointed to hear that we were unable to meet your needs on your vist in February. I apologize that you felt that some of our collateral in our guest rooms is excessive marketing and that we charge for internet. I am glad to hear that one of our ambassadors was able to assist in making arrangements for you during your staff that made you feel valued. We truly appreciate your feedback and hope that you will give our hotel and Westin another chance to exceed your expectations. We strive to take our guest feedback and make the appropriate adjustments to our business to allow our guests' to reach their potential when staying with us.

Reviewed February 16, 2012

This hotel is a very nice, understated hotel in the Westin tradition. The location adjacent to the upscale South Coast Plaza and associated restaurants. Secure car storage which is important to me. We will return and stay for a longer visit next time.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear David S,
We look forward to your return when you can stay with us for a longer visit. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and are planning on returning.

Reviewed February 13, 2012

This hotel has great access to South Coast Plaza. Upgraded to the Junior Suite--very nice. Fitness room and pool area were great.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family

Dear luvncancun,
It is a pleasure to hear that we were able to upgrade you to one of our spacious suites and that the pool and fitness amenities met your needs.

Reviewed February 5, 2012

Across the street from south coast mall. Walking distance to awesome restaurants. Great pool. Wonderful beds, What more can i say!!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
CostaMesaWestin, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin South Coast Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2012

Dear Furnman61,
It is great to hear that you feel the hotel is in the center of it all. A great night sleep is so important when traveling. Look forward to your return.
Guest Relations Manager.

Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach
Island Hotel Newport Beach
Island Hotel Newport Beach
#2 of 18 in Newport Beach

Been to The Westin South Coast Plaza? Share your experiences!