“Stay here in a spacious room”

Residence Inn Costa Mesa Newport Beach
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
Reviewed November 24, 2013

As a "residence" the experience is different than a standard hotel/motel, and obviously caters to a long term stay. There is no hotel bar, or room service. There is breakfast and a small selection of items for sale such as soda, beer, and ice cream. Even though I stayed only one night, I found it to be a very good place to stay. It's not a fancy place, but the rooms are very spacious and clean. The one issue is the key system and the doors. I don't know if it was because of the rain that may have caused the door to swell, but I was completely unable to open the door to my room. I had to call to have someone open the door for me. Then (!) I could not get the door open to get out of my room. I had to call for help again. Thanks to Devon, the on-duty staff person who was so helpful and responsive. His ability to respond with a concrete solution made it a non-issue. (I ended up having to change rooms--so I was able to see the range of rooms.) I also found the other staff to be very pleasant as well. I think this would be a good place to stay with a family that might be headed to Disneyland because of the size of the rooms and the kitchen with full size fridge. It is also relatively close to John Wayne Airport and close to freeways.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Sue_Cooke, General Manager at Residence Inn Costa Mesa Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Thank you NorCalHereAndThere for your gracious review of our property. We love that you found your room(s) spacious and relaxing. We want to extend our apologies for the trouble you had with your door lock. We are working diligently with the manufacture to rectify the problem you had so this doesn't happen to any other guests in the future. Thank you for pointing out Deven's quick response. We do our vey best to ensure that we rectify all problems immediately for our guests.

We hope you consider us for future stays during your time here in the Orange County area.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

My wife and I decided to surprise our kids with a trip to Disneyland. I picked this hotel because it had good reviews, was well priced and the location was perfect for us. It was a 15 minute drive to Disney and was near the beaches.

The staff at the front desk were very friendly and helpful. We even received an email before we arrived asking if we had any special needs or requests and providing us with a point of contact before we arrived. I really liked that touch.

I thought that the Breakfast bar was nicely stocked with what you would expect from a Residence Inn. It got crowded at times but they had extra seating upstairs so it wasn't a problem.

As for the room we were placed on the bottom floor. It had a king bed, a pull out couch and a kitchen. There was enough room for our family of 4.

Our room did have several issues.

First the door was very sticky. You had to really pull hard to get it to open and then slam it to get it closed. It was a very tight fit and you could see a crack in the molding from it.

As we first entered the room the first thing that we noticed was a very strong smell of some sort of cleaning supply. We are talking a cheap smelling cleaning solvent or something. We eventually got used to it but I'm afraid to know what it was hiding.

The air handler is in a closet next to the kitchen. This thing was very loud when it kicked on. Fortunetly the weather was nice out and this unit rarely had to come on.

When I pulled out the bed in the couch, the matress was falling apart. The top half of the mattress had seperated from the rest of the mattress. It was also very old and uncomfortable. There is no way I would have been able to sleep on that but my kids were so tired that they didn't complain much.

The buildings are like 2 story apartment. If you are on the second floor you will need to carry your luggage up stairs. We were on the bottom floor. You could hear every footstep above you. At 3 am the guy above us started walking around his room for about 30 mintues. Sounded like he had combat boots on a wood floor. I got very little sleep that night.

I'm torn with this Marriott. There was both good and bad. It was a good value though.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor to avoid listening to peoples footsteps all night.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Sue_Cooke, General Manager at Residence Inn Costa Mesa Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

We thank mike89t for his review of our property. As we've said before we do greatly appreciate when a Top Contributor takes the time to review our property and give their honest opinion.

Thank you for pointing out our staff and their dedication to providing each and every one of our guests with "guest first" service.

We do our best to provide a variety of options during our breakfasts and social hours. We are currently starting to focus greatly on providing more gluten free and vegetarian options for both. Although our gatehouse does get busy during the weekends we do our very best to accomodate everyone.

We would like to reach out to mike89t and welcome him to contact myself personally so I can get some more information about the particular room he was in. We would like to rectify the problems he experienced in the room so we know this doesn't happen to another guest in the future.

We do know that some of our rooms are not in the best shape and maintaining them to the best of our ability is accomplished by guest communication with the front desk. We encourage our guests to express these problems directly to the front desk so that we can immediately rectify them so they can continue their stay in comfort.

We are anticipating a renovation in the new year and hope that a complete overhaul of our rooms will eliminate the problems mike89t experienced in his room. From the noise of the AC to the ability to hear your upstairs neighbors.

Once again that you so much for your review and we hope you will consider us in the future for a valuable stay!

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Very friendly staff, great service for a long stay or short stay. For the price it is great. It has a basketball court and a swimming pool. The shuttle service is always ready to take you where you need.

Room Tip: Inside villas are too dark. Choose the ones that are on the outside
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Sue_Cooke, General Manager at Residence Inn Costa Mesa Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

We thank S B for their wonderful review of our property. We love when we get such a great review from a Senior Contributor to Trip Advisor.

We are absolutely thrilled you and your family got the most out of your Orange County vacation with us by utilizing all of our great amenities. We are one of the few Marriott properties in the area that offer shuttle service and we are always happy to transport our guests within 5 miles of the property whenever they need it.

We hope you and your family will consider staying with us again when you return to the Orange County area to enjoy our property once more. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Stayed 5 nights on business trip. Well kept, convenient breakfast, clean, friendly staff. Good location. Room was stocked with dishes and they'll even pick up groceries for you.

I'm not rating Value since my company paid for the room and I don't know how much it cost.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Sue_Cooke, General Manager at Residence Inn Costa Mesa Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your stay. Hope that during your next stay you will utilize the grocery shopping service and cook a meal in your suite.
We hope to see you again soon.

Sue

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Great place, very convenient to John Wayne Airport. Its layout is the "version 1" of Residence Inn properties, in separate buildings like apartments, but it's easy to get around the property. When I arrived to check in around 5:00 pm, the room I had reserved had not been cleaned, so they gave me an upgraded room (a "penthouse" room) at no charge. The front desk staff was very helpful and friendly, and the free shuttle around the area was also nice. This is in addition to all the usual Residence Inn amenities like free daily breakfast and free social hour on Mon-Wed.

It seems that they may be a bit shorthanded on the cleaning staff, since they typically didn't finish cleaning our room until late in the day and there were small evidences that the vacuuming wasn't as thorough as it could have been. Still, it was a great place to stay for our particular trip, and I'll consider it again the next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Sue_Cooke, General Manager at Residence Inn Costa Mesa Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

I really appreciate you taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed your stay with us. I am so glad you were able to enjoy some of our amenities like the breakfast, social hours, and the shuttle. I will follow up with our housekeeping staff and review our comments and look for ways to improve our service. Thank you for the feedback and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have been staying here four nights a week for the past few weeks. I am on a contracting assignment and am coming in from Orlando, FL, so the bicoastal travel can be hard. The folks at this Residence Inn do everything in their power to make it better and easier for me. They are all very friendly and accommodating, from the front desk down to the ladies that cook the daily breakfast....always a smile. The property is a bit older, so there are a few dings and scratches, but it is VERY, VERY CLEAN and the rooms are comfortable. The location is great, I basically can find only good things to say!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Sue_Cooke, General Manager at Residence Inn Costa Mesa Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

We are so excited to be your "home away from home" each week. I can only imagine how tough it is to fly back and forth each week from one coast to the other and I am so happy that we are able to make things just a little bit easier for your. We look forward to seeing you each week!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Myself as well as several colleagues stay at the Inn from six nights. We found the staff very friendly and helpful. The rooms were neat and cleaned promptly on a daily basis. The complimentary breakfast was suitable. Rosa and her daughter who manage same were both a true delight every single day we were there. We used the grill for a group dinner and all went very well. We would all stay there again.

Room Tip: There is a small gym which was great for an early morning work out. The ground floor rooms are much...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Sue_Cooke, General Manager at Residence Inn Costa Mesa Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We are so glad you enjoyed all the amenities we have including the BBQ and pool area. I will pass on your wonderful comments to Rosa and Christina and recognize them for their service and making you feel like you were home. We hope you will stay with us again when visiting the Costa Mesa Area.